The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:17 pm 

This is my wife's display cabinet that she's very keen on getting back.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2750/436 ... 8048_b.jpg
Below also belongs to my wife where she displays her collection of glass paper weights.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2722/436 ... a670_b.jpg
a few other pieces of dioramas and parts occupy the sawdust and rubbish of my outside shed, I am currently entered into 'negotiations' with my old woman as to building a display cabinet in our bedroom, space, the serious lack of it, is of prime concern and securing - my side of the bedroom - hasn't gone down to well at the moment, and a strategic withdrawal was required to establish a new route of attack errr um minding my P's and Q's for a couple of days before re-engaging the old woman on her own ground (real bad idea).
Our bungalow is small, very, very small, you can't swing a cat, the bedroom is the only place quite honestly that a small cabinet could be built, the loft and shed not really due to dust and weather, I guess its all about improvise, adapt and overcome. And if you think the above space is seriously lacking, you should see where I actually build 'ALL' my models. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:38 am 

Matt Gill wrote:
USS Spence unsuccessfully attempts to refuel from USS New Jersey as typhoon Cobra makes its presence felt.

This diorama is extremely nice! In fact I plan to do the same with my NJ I'm a nitpicker however (aren't we all?) NJ didn't look like that during Typhoon Cobra. It was still painted in MS21 with a round bridge.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:48 pm 

Aleccap wrote:
"I am currently entered into 'negotiations' with my old woman as to building a display cabinet in our bedroom, space, the serious lack of it, is of prime concern and securing - my side of the bedroom - hasn't gone down to well at the moment, and a strategic withdrawal was required to establish a new route of attack errr um minding my P's and Q's for a couple of days before re-engaging the old woman on her own ground (real bad idea).
Our bungalow is small, very, very small, you can't swing a cat, the bedroom is the only place quite honestly that a small cabinet could be built, the loft and shed not really due to dust and weather, I guess its all about improvise, adapt and overcome. "

Alec-

In this matter I would opt for the credo which got me through my time in the Marines, which is, "It is always easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask for permission". Go ahead and build the thing, what's the worst that can happen? You will be put in the dog house and ignored for a few days, which will only give you more time for working on models anyways!

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:05 pm 

sgtryan13 pore yourself a beer - I like the way you think ! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:50 pm 

so gentlemen,

I have bumped the topic--as many new members may not have seen it--and nothing is quite as interesting as seeing what the next guy does with his models!!

I am waiting to see...!

JB :wave_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:47 pm 

Ok, I'll jump in!!

I have only built a couple of ships and I have them displayed in my office at work on the mantle-piece.

It creates a talking point with clients and there is no worries with negotiating with the civil powers at home.

cheers,

bj

Attachments:
DSC_0172.jpg
DSC_0172.jpg [ 92.89 KiB | Viewed 4355 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:42 pm 

BJ, you sound like you are in my position. I display mine at work to. From your use of the word "clients" I would gues you are a lawyer like myself. Is that correct? Like you, it creates a subject of conversation with my clients and keeps things on an even keel at home. My wife was none too happy when she learned that my return to the hobby would require that I coopt a significant space to do my builds. I did find a good location on the second floor of our house that was out of sight, so she is alright with it now. At first I had my work area on our dining room table and you can guess how that was received.

I'll try to get some pics of my displays up soon. I've actually been surprised by the number of my clients that express an interest in the hobby and say "I used to do that as a kid". They are uniformly amazed when I tell them what the hobby is like now and all that is available to us.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:05 pm 

G'day Bob,

Not a lawyer here, I'm an accountant.

As far as a place at home, well, I started with a tackle box and a shoe box with everything in it apart from the airbrush compressor which is out in the shed.

Each night I bring it out and each night I put it away again. The plan is to take over the home office but other renovations take precedence unfortunately (what is this obsession women have with the bedroom?).

And, yes, people are surprised (as am I) at how far the hobby has progressed in the last 20 years or so.

I can see space becoming an issue eventually so I am also building kits for my 9yo nephew in the form of 1/72 tanks for his wargaming activities. Works well for both of us.

cheers,

bj

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:30 pm 

Seasick wrote:
My models are sort of middle of the road quality like.
WOW! Middle of the road nothing! Those are pretty cool, Seasick! It looks like you have both quality and quantity! Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:39 am 

Well, I thought I would share again. I completely remodeled my den, took the walls right down to the studs and ripped out the floor and started with an almost blank canvas.

The 2 built in shelves were pre existing, and will be modified as funds allow. My plan is to replace the wooden shelves with glass on the taller thinner one, and I am debating weather I am going to install glass doors, or start making individual cases for all of my models, therefore leaving the shelves open. I am leaning towards the individual cases attempt.

The larger wider of the 2 shelves is going to be ripped apart and the area on the right is going to be combined into the main area to make it large enough to house my 1/200 Yamato, and my eventual 1/200 Arizona.

Lighting will be added to all the built in shelves. It is a cozy room, has a huge picture window looking on my front patio, a wood stove, 42" flatscreen HDTV built into the wall, and by design, the only piece of furnature is just my one recliner and ottoman. A true man cave which I refer to as my "War Room" with a lot of my USMC stuff occupying the other walls (medals, NCO sword, pictures and awards) all the fun stuff someone will probably find at a yard sale some day when i kick the bucket!

Attachments:
truman 10-27-10 010.jpg
truman 10-27-10 010.jpg [ 113.35 KiB | Viewed 4109 times ]
File comment: Early builds not worthy of space in the case, awaiting overhauls or possibly scrap yard bound!
truman 10-27-10 011.jpg
truman 10-27-10 011.jpg [ 92.66 KiB | Viewed 4109 times ]
File comment: 2 area to be combined to 1, I have a case housing my 1/350 carriers that will be built into the bottom cabinet portion.
truman 10-27-10 013.jpg
truman 10-27-10 013.jpg [ 79.89 KiB | Viewed 4109 times ]
File comment: decided to crack and rust up my old flower corvette. Not done yet though.
truman 10-27-10 017.jpg
truman 10-27-10 017.jpg [ 83.12 KiB | Viewed 4109 times ]
File comment: a little crowded until I get around to making individual cases for some of these.
truman 10-27-10 018.jpg
truman 10-27-10 018.jpg [ 128.22 KiB | Viewed 4109 times ]

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:26 pm 

Your What-if supercarrier is very nice, if i do say so again!

Planned builds:
3 more 1/700 AH submarines

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:03 pm 

Thanks its given me some great ideas glass seems to be the way to go, along with shelving Cheers Old Naval Guard

Attachments:
normal_flagceremony_2.jpg
normal_flagceremony_2.jpg [ 24.12 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:34 am 

So I finally found a curio case to display my models. Located it on Craigslist, in a city about 65 miles from where I live. It is in good shape, but it was missing one of the glass doors, that had broke. I ordered a replacement tempered glass panel from my local glass store. The cabinet is a relatively large piece, over 7' tall and 44" wide. It JUST barely fit through the turn in my hallway. My 1:350 carrier fits very nice on the shelf and I know I'll have lots of room in the future when I get around to building whats in my stash. Total cost including the replacement glass came to $200.

Timm

Attachment:
IMGP00011.jpg
IMGP00011.jpg [ 145.65 KiB | Viewed 3733 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:34 pm 

Looks really great Timm. Glad to see someone re-energize this forum as I truly enjoy seeing how everyone displays their models. Finally got my model room rebuilt after more than a year (flood damage in Atlanta - yuck). Great job. Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:19 am 

I'm in the attic :woo_hoo:

The only thing I have to worry about is dust.

Jeroen

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:11 pm 

It finally had to come!

I had many models that were "OLDER"...

not perhaps up to current standards....

But far too nice to ..." lose "...

so rather than stack them up in a loft where neither I or guests can ever see them...

I hit upon the idea of using a warm and continuously de-humidified room with lots of wall space where I like to spend time.... :cool_2: :thumbs_up_1:

Ha!

The garage!
Attachment:
new display01.jpg
new display01.jpg [ 153.92 KiB | Viewed 6965 times ]

Attachment:
new display02.jpg
new display02.jpg [ 108.49 KiB | Viewed 6965 times ]

Attachment:
new display03.jpg
new display03.jpg [ 99.62 KiB | Viewed 6965 times ]

I have just built another large garage for more old cars...
AND ...

it now seems... to absorb some more old models!!

:wave_1:

JB

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:57 pm 

Jim, you must not have kids at home... If i put a model in my garage, I doubt it would survive more than a weekend before it was hit with a baseball, used as storage shelf for holiday decorations or the cover removed and used by my wife when she was on the prowl for a place to put her garden tools .. posting.php?mode=reply&f=12&t=16218# I have an older Porsche in the garage - really in mint condition and kind of my baby. Walked out last week and found the "whale tail" covered with 3-4 full garbage bags.... posting.php?mode=reply&f=12&t=16218#. More power to you!!

I'm just putting some finishing touches on my re-built basement, awaiting the delivery of KM Tirpitz in 1/200 and then will post a few updates of the Matt man-cave. Take care.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:55 pm 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

This used to be a CD rack that I built about 8 years ago. Now its for my models.

It has seven shelves on both sides, swivels, and will hold fourteen 1/700 destroyer size models and a small diorama on top.

ImageImage

Photobucket
https://app.photobucket.com/u/carlomaha

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4XXgrwKkhbIHgFtIYhAg

Last edited by NukeMM on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:08 pm 

That is very neat and a cool idea..! :thumbs_up_1:

who needs CD's anyway?!

--they are most useful for mixing paint on anyhow!!

JB :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:00 pm 

my poorly-made plastic case
Attachment:
2e.jpg
2e.jpg [ 28.08 KiB | Viewed 6864 times ]

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next