The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LCI(G)-449, 1/160 scale
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:34 pm 

Conversion from the Lindberg LCI to represent LCI(G)-449 at Iwo Jima on 2-17-45. LCI(G)s were modified from LCIs to provide fire support to the troops landing during the Pacific Invasions when the heavy offshore bombardment lifted. On 2-17-45, LCI(G)-449 and her flotilla were supporting UDT teams that were conducting beach recon prior to the invasion at Iwo Jima. The flotilla was hit by heavy, accurate shore guns and artillery since the defending Japanese thought that they were repelling the invasion rather than a recon mission. The ship sustained several hits, killing or injuring a large portion of the crew. The commanding officer, Rufus Herring, was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions that day. The story of the ship is told in the book "Heart of Hell" by Mitch Weiss. Photos of the ship were also shared by the researcher behind the book, Dennis Blocker, the grandson of one of the survivors of the ship at Iwo Jima.

The basic hull of the Lindberg kit was retained, but the bow was filed and sanded to better match the shape of the appropriate class of LCIs. Other hull modifications were made following the posts that Mr. McKay has made on this forum. Conn, gun tubs, mast, stair superstructures, anchor, anchor winch, smoke generator, and 0.50 caliber machine guns all scratch built. 20mm mounts, 40mm mounts, ready service lockers, life rings, fire hoses, doors, and figures from Shapeways. Gold Medal Models N scale industrial stairways and ladders, and Saemann photoetch stanchions used. Rocket launchers scratch built using evergreen C Channel and N scale photoetch farm gates.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:04 pm 
Looks good! Great job.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:22 pm 

Thanks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:11 am 

Wow- that is a really fine project with some great craftsmanship! Great subject too!

Regards,
Timothy

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:02 am 

Very sharp build my friend :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:41 pm 

Thanks for the comments!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:06 pm 
Great job. Good to see an old classic detailed or converted

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:17 am 

David,

It has been an awfully long time since I've been on here, but I am glad to see that you posted some photos of your project at long last! She's a beauty! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: I have to echo the others who've posted on here their compliments for turning out a first-rate model from that terrible old Lindberg kit.

I just stumbled across your post; did you post any in-progress photos?

Once again, great job! I love it!

John :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:10 pm 

John,
Glad to here from you again! Was wondering when the amphib jedi master would return to the forum! Thank you for the compliments-I depended heavily on your build articles on the Lindberg conversions that you built. I progress photos? No, it took me too many months to figure out how to post any photos other than from a cellphone and I still messed that up when I uploaded my finished photos-but failed to get them in the right place on the website! I think the only ones that I posted were on your build thread when I was reshaping the bow with files and sandpaper.

Just finishing up my conversion of the Lindberg LCT/LCU to a Mark 6 LCT. Posted some in progress photos of it back on D-Day and will post some more when I finish it up. I think that 3 conversions of old Lindberg kits is enough for quite awhile! I still have another LCI kit and the LSD in the stash-but think that I will switch to something else for the next build. Might go for an out of the box build and build the Revell LSM or might do an APD conversion from the old Revell 4 stacker.

Good to hear from you again!
Dave

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:40 pm 

Dave,

So I'm the amphib jedi master? Does that make you a Padawan? :big_grin: I'm glad I played some small part in the construction of your beautiful resurrection of the Lindberg kit!

I got sidetracked on other projects for a lot longer than I would've liked and will be returning to resume work on my adaptions of the Lindberg LCI kit, so look for something soon.

I took a look at your LCT project; damn fine work. :thumbs_up_1:

Speaking of the Revell LSM, I am planning to build up a late war LSM for a friend of mine, who served aboard the 311. I've accumulated extra parts from both of Revell's kits, the early LSM and the postwar LSM, and will be using them to assemble a model of the 311. I'll post something about that soon and will be looking forward to comparing notes with you on your Revell LSM project, too!

John :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:04 pm 

Looking forward to your build of the LSM. Thought that I would take the easy way and build a combat veteran LSM with the two 20mm tubs on the bow out of the box. Have found only one or two ships with this arrangement in landing photos on Navsource. Seems like a lot were built with that arrangement, but were converted to the 40mm gun tub before they reached the South Pacific. So much for an out of the box build!

Will work on getting completed photos of my LCT on the forum sometime this week.

Dave

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:12 am 
Saw your build in FSM. Congrats!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:50 pm 

Thanks! First time ever that I can say that I've been published! Now I just have to find where I left my copy of FSM after I took it over to show my 91 year old dad!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:15 pm 
Wow - led here by a google search - researching my Wife's grandfather who served at Iwo Jima on LCI (G) 442. Incredible build, I'll have to really long and hard before tackling something like this.

Tom P.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:47 pm 

Thanks Tom. I have an extra kit if your interested in it. You can still find them on ebay, but I would be happy for it to go to a good home to honor someone who served on a LCI(G). I'd recommend two books to you:the heart of hell that was my motivator for this project and iwo Jima recon by dick camp. Also go to navsource.org and follow the amphibious link there. I think you should find some photos of the 442
Dave

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:42 pm 

My employer's public information division publishes a quarterly magazine. One of the features of the magazine is on employee's and their hobbies. They heard about my model building and came down to my office to take some photos. Our photographer suggested displaying the LCI(G) with the kit box in the background. I think that the photo turned out pretty good!

Last edited by dhenning on Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:43 pm 

Fixed the image size.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:25 pm 
Very nice work. Nice of your company to feature your model. Picture looks great!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:50 pm 

Thanks!

Report this post