The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:02 pm 

I present Meng’s 1/700 USS Enterprise, CV-6. This kit is a “snap kit”, molded in colors and requiring little glue. I built it as a pallet cleanser. Ignoring the air wing, the model was done in 11 days. With the air wing, it was 13 days. I painted the kit and filled the handful of seams necessary. Still, it’s a simple build and I have to say, despite it’s simple origins, it can be built in to a nice ship.
There are some shortcomings. All markings are stickers. I painted the flight deck markings. It’s been a little while, but to my recollection I found the Big-E did not sport the “6” during the Ms. 21 paint scheme. All of the kit’s markings are stickers, so what markings there are on the ship are painted on.
The aircraft insignia use the stickers in puddles of future to blend them. I elected to call the F4F’s earlier models without folding wings. I folded the wings on the TBD’s, and the SBD’s did not have the folding wings.
The kit painting diagram shows a 20B flight deck with 5-H hull. I am not a ship expert, but I do not believe the Enterprise was ever painted this way. My reading was that this kit depicted a late war CV-6, so I painted her in Ms. 21. Tamiya paint was used, leveraging heavily with different mixes of XF-50 and XF-2 for the 20B, 5-N and deck blue stain. Weathering was almost entirely with oils in various techniques (filter, faded, wash, etc).
Here's the end result:

I appreciate any feedback and/or criticism. Thank you for looking!
Eric

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:02 pm 

Looks to be a nice kit. I may get one to go with the Missouri kit from Meng, which I like as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:43 am 

This also looks to be more detailed than the Trumpeter 1/700 offering.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:11 pm 

Neat work. Like the paint job. These are pretty good models. I spotted the Meng Bismark and Missouri in my local model shop when they first came out and gave them a go. High quality mouldings and plastic, ABS I think. I see Eduard sells PE parts for the Bismark - and perhaps others in the range.

Report this post