The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: not a ship
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:50 am 

A little sweet piece from BigBlueBoy,
very fun ,next is both Karls

Attachments:
leo1.jpg
leo1.jpg [ 140.46 KiB | Viewed 6704 times ]
leo2.jpg
leo2.jpg [ 142.71 KiB | Viewed 6704 times ]
leo3.jpg
leo3.jpg [ 139.03 KiB | Viewed 6704 times ]

3.- Don't build it
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:12 am 

That looks cool. 1/700 scale?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:15 am 

Devin wrote:
That looks cool. 1/700 scale?

Yes it is Devin, 1/700 ,about 1 and 3/4 inch long

3.- Don't build it

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:19 pm 

Nice.

I have Trumpeter's 1/35 scale version, but haven't yet gotten to it.

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:04 pm 

I've been away from ship modelling for a couple of years and this is what I've been doing instead (British Railways in the early 1980s), scale is 1/76.

Just got my 1/350 New Jersey back down from the top of the wardrobe and just bought the 1/200 Iowa so its all systems go on the warships again now...

John

Report this post
 Post subject: Lunar Models XD-1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:40 pm 

This is the resin kit of USS Discovery XD-1 manufactured by Lunar Models. I purchased this kit from Mike Evans on March 10th, 1989 (Lunar Models receipt #4788) and have kept it in storage until about a year ago. Being one of the early versions of this kit by Lunar Models it features a semi-solid command sphere (with a square void), a solid resin engine module, six piece one man pod, and multiple part spine assembly. The casting on this early production run kit is good, especially the engine module. Later versions from Lunar Models were changed to include a hollow command sphere, one piece pod, hollow engine module, and pre-formed spine parts. The casting quality of these later version kits is often reported as being poor, especially the spine parts. At the time this kit was first issued it was generally considered to be state of the art, but compared to current standards, this kit is lacking in many areas. Accuracy is a problem, but the kit can be greatly enhanced with some scratch building and modifications.

Alignment is critical with this kit and careful preparation of the parts is important. I constructed the spine from a solid steel rod with steel hex nuts in place of the kit parts for the fuel/cargo pod supports. The spine couplers were scratch built from modified plastic dry wall anchors as the kit parts were badly formed and did not look right. I made two assembly jigs - one to align the spine and fuel/cargo pods and the second to uniformly sand and level the bottoms of each fuel/cargo pod part.

The command sphere neck collar parts were extensively modified to improve accuracy and the collar area of the engine module was scratch built. The three engine exhaust assemblies were cut up, extended, and enhanced with some surface details to improve accuracy. The antenna mount base was scratch built to be more accurate and I modified the emergency airlock door on the command sphere to give it a more accurate appearance.

I wanted to include LED lighting and a pod bay, so I used the pod bay floor part from kit and embedded a tiny switch that is activiated by moving the pod platform rails in and out. Because the command sphere is only semi-hollow with a square opening on the inside, I had to construct a square type of pod bay structure to fit. While this is not accurate, it seems to look pretty good from the outside. The pod bay walls were made from sheet styrene with printed paper details. The test bench is the modified kit part with details from various decals. There is no room for the cockpit details, so I used a printed scene from the movie and placed it on the inside of the window so that lit from behind by the LED's, it provides a good impression of the command deck interior. The one man pod was carefully hollowed out for the LED and holes drilled for the headlamps. Small sections of clear rod with one end heat rounded were used for the headlamp lens. The three LED's are powered by button type watch batteries in a compartment on the rear of the pod bay assembly. Everything is inside in the command sphere, there are no external wires or switches. The pod bay assembly is secured by a tiny machine screw and the command sphere is secured to the collar/neck part with three small machine bolts and matching nuts imbedded in the command sphere.

Painting and detailing involved a wide range of paints and various decals. All of the kit parts were made of a dark tan resin with a thick coating of oily mold release which required careful cleaning. I used my airbrush, rattle cans, and some brush work in the painting process. Panel shading was done with airbrush or decals depending on the size. Following a gloss clear coat, I applied a very thin black wash and then sealed everything in a flat clear coat.

The completed model measures 32.5 inches from the end of the engine nozzles to the tip of the one man pod arms. I am currently using temporary supports for display purposes until I can determine the exact locations to support the model to avoid curving of the spine.

Thanks for having a look, your questions and comments are always welcome.

Cheers,

Bill

Attachments:
IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_1871.jpg [ 157.86 KiB | Viewed 6526 times ]
IMG_1839.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG [ 160.62 KiB | Viewed 6526 times ]
IMG_1760 A.jpg
IMG_1760 A.jpg [ 75.02 KiB | Viewed 6526 times ]
IMG_1709 A.jpg
IMG_1709 A.jpg [ 83.52 KiB | Viewed 6526 times ]
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG [ 54.61 KiB | Viewed 6526 times ]
IMG_1729.JPG
IMG_1729.JPG [ 120.7 KiB | Viewed 6526 times ]
IMG_1764 A.jpg
IMG_1764 A.jpg [ 149.82 KiB | Viewed 6526 times ]
IMG_1767 A.jpg
IMG_1767 A.jpg [ 126.99 KiB | Viewed 6526 times ]
IMG_1773 A.jpg
IMG_1773 A.jpg [ 120.01 KiB | Viewed 6526 times ]
IMG_1787.JPG
IMG_1787.JPG [ 108.3 KiB | Viewed 6526 times ]
Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Lunar Models XD-1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:55 pm 

I meant to post this under the "Not a Ship" topic! Please move as appropriate. Apologies for the confusion.

Cheers,

Bill

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:10 pm 

Are there any forum sites that are focused on tanks or armoured vehicles, which any of you would recommend? Just wondering if our model ships site has a sister site for AFVs/tanks.

One of the techniques I am curious about is how to make the snow on the ground in one of the dioramas with the Sherman tanks in the previous pages. Was the the snow on the tanks merely just painted on as well?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:05 pm 

I've heard good things about Missing Lynx: http://www.missing-lynx.com/

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:24 pm 

My build of Trumpeter's M1A1HA 1/35 model tank kit, added with Echelon decals to produce an Australian Army M1 Abrams tank (yes, they have 59 Abrams tanks in real life, if you look it up)

Note the red Kangaroo insignia on one of the attachments on the turret.

Tried to my best to replicate Aussie soldiers' DPDU camo on these figures.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:55 am 

K5 - Léopold in 1/350

Hello,
For some time already, the brand name "Arsenal" superb product and armored military vehicles to 1/350.
A friend Alain, "Nova 73", has sent a good use for his dio " Diorama Port Mulberry au 1/350 "
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=154402&start=60

There was yet one element missing in all this material, I mean the famous 280mm cannon on track, "K5", also known as "Leopold". The "Leopold" designation is also unfair since only a canon battery "Anzio Annie" (named by US soldiers) that name. "Leopold" was there with his twin named "Robert" and two other guns of 200mm.

So I started in the reproduction picture that gear cutting 1/350. Of course he had to reproduce the railway and so that has to be there, the turntable "Vogel" that allowed to direct this team.
I had to proceed in stages. First a prototype engraved brass. It was a mistake, brass is too soft for this kind of kit and hard to get in shape. Since I took over and above the drawing board engraved nickel silver 0.15mm thick.

Here are some pictures of the prototype and the accessories that accompany it.
To manufacture the tube, I used a gun for the 280 Scharnhorst. It took me seriously lengthen, the cylinder head is apparent without counting against the weight that is added to the rear.

To make a calibration of a diorama I used my prototype (after a lick of paint) to represent "Anzio Annie".
The railway is a PE and the flat car (incomplete), the loco is a reference brand Niko .

To be continued. . .
Jean

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:08 am 

Hello,

With K-5 - Leopold, it seemed logical to me to work as a launch pad A4, better known as the V2. Outside the prodigious technological progress represented by this rocket, one must not forget that its production caused tens of thousands of deaths among the deportees working in tunnels Nordhausen. Moreover, this blind weapon killed other tens of thousands of people in England, Holland and also in France.

Among the military vehicles of the "Arsenal", several correspond to the use of V2, but lacked good on the main gears.
Here are some prototypes for the implementation of this rocket.
First unloading equipment, a portal "Fries" with a capacity of 15 T.
The large model is visible in some photos the porch of the brand "Hauler" in 1/87.

Support launch,

The "Meillerwagen"

A "Vidalwagen"

A first test,

Another trial with makeshift vehicles from those of the Arsenal,

And a small detail was missing, the scale "Magirus" finally a firefighter ladder!

I must say that the side ladder was Phase I was dreading the most?
Finally everything went well, we must remain calm and above all to think carefully before you handle all!

It still lacks the 3-tone camouflage paint but now I think I'm going a little easier.

To be continued,
Jean

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:26 pm 

My latest completion. Technical it IS a ship, just of the Space variety:

http://www.devinjpoore.com/models/valkyrie/index.htm

Attachments:
valkyrie.jpg
valkyrie.jpg [ 70.23 KiB | Viewed 5977 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:03 pm 

When I'm not building ships... :big_grin:
:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:53 am 

Just a little not a ship "news". I put news in parens because I have not been able to confirm it. According to my LHS owner, H-K is coming out with an F version of their gigantic 1/32 B-17G. According to this gentleman it will have decals for several different birds, including the iconic "Memphis Belle". As to building it as the Belle, he did not know if it would have the navigator's astrodome atop the nose section, which the Belle, an early F model, did not have.

Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:46 am 

Haijun watcher wrote:
Are there any forum sites that are focused on tanks or armoured vehicles, which any of you would recommend? Just wondering if our model ships site has a sister site for AFVs/tanks.

I frequent "Armorama" http://www.armorama.com/
Lots of info on new kits; old kits; kits to stay away from; etc. Also lots of hints and tips on making dios, terrain, structures, figure painting, painting, proper colors, and weathering of vehicles, etc. Also a place to post pics of your work for criticism and help...sort of like here, but for army stuff. A battleship is like a tank, but it floats better! :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:51 pm 

For all you Yamatoholics out there..........here's my 1/500 scale Bandai Space Battleship Yamato I am currently finishing.
Progress thread is here:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php ... 647.0.html

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:18 pm 

johndon wrote:
I've been away from ship modelling for a couple of years and this is what I've been doing instead (British Railways in the early 1980s), scale is 1/76.

Just got my 1/350 New Jersey back down from the top of the wardrobe and just bought the 1/200 Iowa so its all systems go on the warships again now...

John

I lived in London during the early '80s (Hanwell, Ealing, Kinsington), and this brought back a lot of fond memories.

The rail line from London (can't recall which station) used to run right behind Uxbridge Road near Ealing Common (near my flat), and I would see the trains in the first photo going by at all hours.

Then there were the 120s that would fly by an 120mph, and make the house shake...

I miss being young. Aging has to be the most evil thing to happen to people. I miss England at that time, too. It was one of the best places on earth to be at that time.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:24 pm 

EJM wrote:
For all you Yamatoholics out there..........here's my 1/500 scale Bandai Space Battleship Yamato I am currently finishing.
Progress thread is here:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php ... 647.0.html

Is that from the older series, or the newer Uchū Senkan Yamato 2199?

The new series, if you have not seen it is freaking unbelievable in the details they managed to get into it.

They show all manner of logistical and operational details for the Gamillas Fleet that justify many of their design decisions.

And the newer models they have (fortunately NOT in 1/700, but only in 1/1000) are spectacular.

The battle scenes in the new series were inspired by a combination of actual WWII footage, and the new BSG series. The scenes with the carrier battles is spectacular, when they show the deck operations, and flight operations in the bridge being conducted almost like a real CVA operation center and deck.

Like I said... If you haven't seen it, you HAVE TO SEE IT!!!

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:23 am 

Well here is my latest, the Colonial One presidential ship from the new Battlestar Galactica series in 1/350.

I loved the lines of this ship the moment I saw it on the series and always wanted a model of her, so I picked up the Mobius model as soon as it came out.

My original intention was to build this to the same standards I build my ships, just as a challenge to myself to see if I could compete with the serious sci-fi builders at a competition. Well, due to my personal life being in the dumps the past few months, I had lost my modeling mojo. I decided I needed a quick project to try to get me back into the groove, and not feeling like buying another kit, I figured I would just tackle this one. The kit is really well detailed and the fit is great. There is a nasty seam where the top section meets the main hull parts, and it will be very difficult to fill and sand. I took the easy route and just added a length of solder wire to cover the seam and look like some sort of external piping on the ship.

The decals go on great, but the lighter blue one is a little off in it's cut for the windows, so some trimming and repositioning is necessary. the dark blue decal around the bridge and bubble is too short by almost 1/4" leaving a huge void at the back of the bubble where the 2 sides meet. I was able to blend a mix of French blue and insignia blue to paint in this void.

I experimented with some new (to me) techniques for making metallic surfaces look burnt/heat damaged, and I like the results so far.

I wanted to model her as I think she would have seemed late in the show, where she had done tons of FTL jumps, entered atmospheres, spent time on the ground, etc, so I weathered her a little heavy with oils and pastels.

I had fun with this one, and was able to complete it in a couple of days. I went for a quick build that was completed easily, so there are plenty of flaws in it, some nasty seams in the engine areas were simply left alone, so don't expect to see this one winning any awards any time soon, but that is ok. I wanted something quick but more importantly FUN, and this build was exactly that, hopefully it gets me back on track with the Lincoln.

SO SAY WE ALL!

Attachments:
IMG_5039.JPG
IMG_5039.JPG [ 92.99 KiB | Viewed 5534 times ]
IMG_5040.JPG
IMG_5040.JPG [ 115.78 KiB | Viewed 5534 times ]
IMG_5041.JPG
IMG_5041.JPG [ 108.45 KiB | Viewed 5534 times ]
IMG_5043.JPG
IMG_5043.JPG [ 109.91 KiB | Viewed 5534 times ]
IMG_5045.JPG
IMG_5045.JPG [ 55.61 KiB | Viewed 5534 times ]
IMG_5046.JPG
IMG_5046.JPG [ 85.85 KiB | Viewed 5534 times ]
IMG_5047.JPG
IMG_5047.JPG [ 81.57 KiB | Viewed 5534 times ]
IMG_5049.JPG
IMG_5049.JPG [ 66.87 KiB | Viewed 5534 times ]
IMG_5050.JPG
IMG_5050.JPG [ 73.7 KiB | Viewed 5534 times ]
IMG_5051.JPG
IMG_5051.JPG [ 125.29 KiB | Viewed 5534 times ]

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next