The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:25 pm 

Hi, All :wave_1:

I bought a collection of "wargaming" type models I believe are from the 1920's, and am trying to figure out the why of their design. They were in a wooden case with 45 (+) US DD's (Wickes/Clemson) where some of the named models were scrapped starting in the 1930's. (there may have been more, as there were plenty of empty slots). Included were a homogenic set of 20 large destroyers, that don't quite fit known classes. The models are made of wood and wire, and are compatible to detailing of that period in 1/1200 scale. I am trying to figure out the basis for the design, as it was evidentiary made with intent of replicating a "known" design. Was there any contemporary information in books that may have caused a slightly off design?

I suspect they may be representative of the Japanese "Special Type" (FUBUKI) class prior to their completion in 1928. The Special Types were 380'(+) long and originally when ordered in 1923 were to have 4-5" (2x2), 9-TT (3x3) in the same locations as the model, as well as the elimination of the well-deck position to between funnels for the 1st TT mounts. An extra turret was soon later incorporated in the design in "X" position, but was this know to outside sources. There were 20 FUBUKI/AMAGIRI ships ordered. The models do tend to reflect some design aspects of earlier MUTSUKI and MINEKAZE destroyers in the bows, bridge, and mounting aft guns on bandstands. I re-arranged a couple of damaged models using the same locator holes, and they configured just like the FUBUKI's. It would make sense to be able to game a comparison of potential rivals between the US and IJN at the time. Below are some of the photos. Thank you for any help.

Image Image ImageImage

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:48 am 

Reconnaissance identification training kit ? This kind of kit was used in various navies and airforces to train crews in descerning between friends and foes from the distance, e.g. through binoculars or periscopes. Empty slots could have been provided for forthcoming new ships.

These kits were, I believe, the origin of the commercial 1/1250 scale miniature ship models.

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:11 pm 

Interesting collection. I constructed a similar "fleet" back in the 1960's and would do fleet "maneuvers" with the ships. Inch to 100' was a convenient scale and required very little materials maybe back in the quarter a week discretionary funds period...

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:58 pm 

I would not be surprised if this turned out to be a training set for USN Surface Warfare officers (particularly destroyer guys) of the period*, possibly using Fletcher Pratt's rules.
See https://www.amazon.com/Fletcher-Pratts- ... 1447518551

Pratt was the inventor of a set of rules for naval wargaming, which he created before the Second World War. This was known as the "Fletcher Pratt Naval War Game" and it involved dozens of tiny wooden ships, built on a scale of one inch to 50 feet. These were spread over the floor of Pratt's apartment and their maneuvers were calculated via a complex mathematical formula. Noted author and artist Jack Coggins was a frequent participant in Pratt's Navy Game, and de Camp met him through his wargaming group. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher_Pratt

See also https://thegaminggang.com/our_reviews/t ... 1900-1945/

Just a thought - this set could have been built *after* your initial time window, since Open Source information flowed slower back then. Here's a tale of a similar collection http://megablitzandmore.blogspot.com/20 ... eship.html

* Not sure where/how the USN did that, prior to 1961
https://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/Page ... chool.aspx

1/96 12cm pre-Dreadnaught deck gun
1/124 CS Privateer 'Beauregard'
1/124 CS Blockade Runners Pevensey & Ella Warley
1/192 scale whaler PEQUOD

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:33 pm 

More food for thought -
https://www.antiquetoyworld.com/soldier ... twar-toys/

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:33 pm 

That's what I said above. The Germans, the Brits and the Americans used such models.

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:09 pm 

For those inclined to put models like this back into play, here's another set of rules
https://us-store.warlordgames.com/colle ... cruel-seas

Report this post