The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:41 pm 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Hello

BMK and I have got an agreement during the Oberschleissheim to make a line of 1/700 resin kits, with me doing the masters and Burkhardt caring for the PE and turned parts. We decided to concentrate on the merchant and cargo ships. My master models will most likely be based on the plans from Werft Reederei Hafen magazine from the 20es and 30es - see literature section for the indexes of the yearbooks.

First master model is now finished and will leave today to Burkhardt for PE design. This one will be a small river freighter, which would be a common sight in any sea harbor. The prototype of this model are the fast motorships Cimbria and Normannia, built by Schiffswerft und Maschinenfabrik Christof Ruthof, Mainz-Kastel and Regensburg, for N.V. Reederij v/h J.H.Koenigsfeld, Rotterdam, in 1928. It is typical enough ship to be converted to many of those thousands of similar ships plowing all major european (and most likely american) rivers.

The master looks like this:

If you have any comments, I would be happy to hear them!

1:350 HMS Diana 1794 - nearly released
Further kits in preparation.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:48 pm 

Looks nice. Putting the wheelhouse in the back and a adding a large mast would make it a 'luxe motor'. For may european harbors between 1920 and 2000 a 'spits' ('peniche') would be a good subject. There's a number of them available in paper which can be rescaled but a more direct approach in resin gives better results I think. And then there's the classic Rhine tugs + barge combinations which could be combined diorama wise with SS Drumgeith in loading/unloading.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:58 pm 

Hello,
I read your message concerning the model of the Cimbria just yesterday and I am curious if the model-kit was finished and can be bought.

Guus Dalkmann

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:07 pm 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Unluckily not - it took severe damage while in the post and arrived deformed... Also many things could be done better. I am considering to re-build it however, in 1/700 or maybe in 1/350.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:45 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

After a few years, I finally got her up as a product on shapeways. Now it is fully digitally designed and ready. 1/700 and 1/350 are online, 1/200 in upload. I will be doing 1:144, 1:160, 1:220, 1:288, 1:300, 1:400, 1:450, 1:500, 1:600, and 1:720 scales too (by upscale/downscale).

https://www.shapeways.com/product/JKSXC ... annia-1928

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:57 am 

Is this the same type of vessel the Germans converted to troop carriers for operation sea lion? I think they were called Kampien.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:31 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

A large number of such ships were prepared for landing. I was not able to find the info if it was really done for these particular ships, but it is very likely, as Kriegsmarine requisitioned around 800 self propelled river cargo ships for Sealion from Germany, France, Netherlands and Belgium.

I however never heard the word Kampien applied to them...

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:32 am 

Kampien may refer to a Kempenaar, the most common barge size in NL and Belgium at the time. They were 50 by 6.6m, 400-600 tons.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:35 pm 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

True. But this ship is rather a "Dortmunder" by this dutch classification, slightly larger then Kempenaar
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dortmunder_(schip)

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:30 am 

There is an excellent book about all the vessels and equipment that was planned for operation sea lion. Invasion of England 1940 by Peter Schenk. In the section on the transport barges, he specifies two basic types, most came from the Rhine called Prahme. The smaller of the two were Flemish in origin, called peniche and measured 38.5 x 5.05 x 2.3m. They were also designated type A1. All larger barges were in a single catagory, Kampenaar, or A2. They were 50.0 x 6.60 x 2.50m. They were known as Kampine in German. In each type there were powered and unpowered. In Erich Groner’s vol 6 of his series on the vessels of the German Navy 1815-1945, there is a section on all the different sub groups of these landing prahme that were to be deployed. I have been looking for models of these for a long time and yours is the closest I have seen. If you have these books check them out. The ones in Groner’s book are all 1/1250 scale.

Report this post