The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Flag Avatars
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will accept avatar requests from our members. To be considered you must send me a gif file that is no more than 120 pixels wide. Avatars submitted can be used by anyone by going to their profile and selecting them. I will add these in groups as it takes the same amount of time to add 10 as it does 1.

So if you want to see a special flag, or even ship silhouette then post here. If you already know how to attach an image to your post then do so in your request. It will save me time if all the needed images are in one place. If you need help, post here. I have very little time to spare, but there are others here who can help with converting images, and sizing them.

I will not take images off of other sites. Only images that have been attached to this site. Make sure you have permission to use any images that you attach.

Last edited by Cadman on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you want a new avatar that is not already in the library, post a reply to this message and attach your avatar. I will add new ones that are suitable for the forum as time permits.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Added. For future requests please include the name of the flag and what it is used for. A little background will help me decide what section to put it in. For you graphic guys I prefer transparent GIF files sized to 120 pixels wide. Make sure you crop down to the subject. For you non graphic guys, just send a big image and I will crop and resize it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If your post was deleted, it means I have added your avatar. I tried to file them in the appropriate section, so check the avatar gallery via your profile.

Mark, there is nothing in your post.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also if anyone thinks they can touch up the images, let me know. I prefer transparent gif images so that the background doesn't clash with the different forum styles. I really don't have time to spend doing it myself so don't expect too much out of the avatars I am uploading.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: New Flag Avatars
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

brad wrote:
Actually, this is the only forum I am a member of where I can't have my own unique avatar (it makes it easier to find my posts that way). The one I introduced is becoming increasingly popular - is there a way that unique avatars can be added?

I have that feature disabled on the server for a number of reasons.
1 security
2 copyrights
3 provocative avatars.
4. common themes preferred

It's easier to deal with those issues here than to have to PM or Admin each violation.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:35 am 

I presume by these submissions that a graphic is to be uploaded to you for approval and eventual addition to the list of avatars to then be selected to post. Have I got this right?

If so, what are the file formats and perimeters that I can submit to be considered.....Gene

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:05 am 

A little help, please. I understand the output perimeters for the files, however, everything I try to reduce to size and format ends up very pixilated. What image size and resoluton do I need to start with in order to end up with a clear crisp image such as those I see here....Gene

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:12 am 

I use irfanview to change format and size of my pics, open picture in it, choose option "resize" and then input preffered size. Later on irfanview will ask you about file format you want to use to save your image.
Hope that will help you.

Cheers,
Filip

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bunch of Avatars added.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:40 pm 

Could you please add the Canadian Blue Ensign, Canadian naval jack 1922 - 1957.
Thank you

Attachments:
blue_ensign_s.png
blue_ensign_s.png [ 3.88 KiB | Viewed 12820 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Land_shark wrote:
Could you please add the Canadian Blue Ensign, Canadian naval jack 1922 - 1957.
Thank you

Added

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:47 pm 

Cadman wrote:
571Nautilus wrote:
A request to add this as an option to avatars to represent nucleare age boats.

Thanks.

added

Great, Many thanks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 pm 

Hi Cadman,

I have some avatars I was wanting to provide you all with. Dan K encouraged me to get this done and share those silhouettes. My silhouettes are listed by a IJN CVs Eastern Solomons title along or near this forum thread (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=197243). Dan has helped me out exponentially with this endeavor. My thing is I can't locate the avatars on our ModelWarships.com website. I'd be grateful if someone could point out their location for me here in this great website. I still build models too, and I have a Tamiya Hanomag 251 w/75mm howitzer lined up next. (Really want to get back to ships again soon.) Please let me know if my silhouettes can be added in with the current avatars here. I'll try and add Akagi, Soryu, and Hiryu (along w/ Essex, Independence, and Bogue) pretty soon as silhouettes too. Thanks.
~ Rod

Last edited by Timmy C on Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
link added to thread with the silhouettes

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:19 pm 

Well. I'll answer my own quiry here. The avatars are all viewable with everyone's user-page where you can actually assign yourself an avatar. I made my own discovery there.

And to everyone here at the forum, have a good day...
~ Rod

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:50 pm 

I'm a newbie on the site and was hoping you could upload the attached avatar to the library for use as my avatar on my profile. Thanks in advance.....

I discovered this site while doing research to build a scale model of the USS Bunker Hill CV-17 on which my father served during WW2. He was wounded during the kamikaze attacks on May 11, '45, but thankfully not critically. Sadly Dad passed away in 2008 before I had a chance to fulfill my promise to build him an accurate model of the Bunker Hill as she was the day they were hit.

I recently picked up a Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS Franklin to serve as the basis for my build. A while back I stumbled across a thread on a military memorabilia site where the gentleman was offering up a set of plans for the Bunker Hill that were marked up denoting the damage she incurred when the two kamikaze's hit but sadly, the prints had already been sold. Fortunately he had posted images of plan sheets as well as closeups of some of the pages so I downloaded them for reference for my project. This lead to my web search for a set of Bunker Hill plans. Recently I finally discovered a scanned set on the web which I immediately downloaded for reference.

As I searched for additional details on the Bunker Hill and her Essex class sisters, I came across ModelMonkey's site that showed he offered several different 1/350 scale islands for the Essex class carriers. I contacted Steve and he was very helpful in my quest for an accurate '45 Bunker Hill island. I sent him the sheet from the downloaded plants covering the island levels and he pointed out to me that set of plans DID NOT reflect the Bunker Hill as she was on May 11th. I checked the cover page of both sets and discovered the scanned set that I had downloaded had been revised two additional times since her January '45 refit.... once in September '45 repairing her damage and then again in September '46 while she was mothballed. Steve also suggested I join this site as there are very knowledgeable members who could assist me in my endeavour. I look forward to "meeting" you and look forward to your help honoring my Father and his service with this model.

In closing, I live in Proctorville, OH on the Ohio River just across from Huntington, WV, home of the Marshall University Thundering Herd which was featured in the movie WE ARE.... MARSHALL several years ago.

Thanks for allowing me to join and look forward to digging into this project!!

Attachments:
File comment: USS Bunker Hill CV17 smoking
mini cv17 smoke.jpg
mini cv17 smoke.jpg [ 26.53 KiB | Viewed 5427 times ]
File comment: smaller file size for avatar
avatar cv17 smoke.jpg [ 6.46 KiB | Viewed 5404 times ]