The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Science Museum in London
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:09 am 

Science Museum in London
Ships' floor is quite interesting.
Let's say "modern" models are not perfect in terms having too many details or correct paintings. However in many cases it is good to see how certain items looked like if you did not see plans or drawings were not 100% clear. They look like they all came from one workshop. Wooden models are different, they are top quality.
Sorry for some reflections. Doing pictures through the glass can be awkward.

Entry is free so if you are around South Kensington and have 3-4 hours to spend... go for it.

Science Museum in London

Cheers
Jerzy

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:38 am 

Whoa, that hull model shaping machine!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:48 am 

Yes I have spent many hours in the Science Museum, it is one of the worlds best for examining the ship in model form and not just displaying models the two are not the same. I have discussed this at length in Warships and Warship Modelling and in resent articles in the model press, as you may guess it is one of my favorite subjects and a bit of a hobby horse. Nice pictures and thank you for posting.
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:11 am 

JerzyBin wrote:
Science Museum in London
Ships' floor is quite interesting.
Let's say "modern" models are not perfect in terms having too many details or correct paintings. However in many cases it is good to see how certain items looked like if you did not see plans or drawings were not 100% clear. They look like they all came from one workshop. Wooden models are different, they are top quality.
Sorry for some reflections. Doing pictures through the glass can be awkward.

Entry is free so if you are around South Kensington and have 3-4 hours to spend... go for it.

Science Museum in London

Cheers
Jerzy

Hi Jerzy Here is the full size machine to the model which can be seen at the Denny Test tank facility in Dumbarton Scotland. The working museum is the best of its type and has many of the original test tank models available to see as well as the original Test Tank and the hull developing machine.
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:26 pm 

Glad you liked it!

Great photo gallery mate!

I must get back there again soon.

Did you visit the NMM and the Imp War as well...?

JIM B :wave_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:52 pm 

Hello,

Thank you for these photos, apparently a lot of interesting things. I especially like the diorama Shipyard :smallsmile:

Greetings,
Flash

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:15 pm 

Thanks guys.
Next year I need to book much much more time.
3-4 days per museum i.e. I need to book 2 months trip :heh:

Those are generic pics from Telford 2010 Tour

Jim's models will have separate thread....

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:50 pm 

Hi,

With the Ship Floor now closed at the Science Museum, does anyone know where the models went?

Thanks,
George

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:56 pm 

Their website says "into storage", so probably the basement somewhere. I imagine some of them get seconded to the IWM or NMM as needed by the latter, since the latter do receive some of their models from the Science Museum.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:10 am 

I read they have been transferred to a disused airbase in the countryside where they are accessible for research after making an appointment. I also read there were plans for displaying part of the collection at Chatham Historic Dockyard, but they did not come to fruition. Pretty dismal and sad for people like us. I was lucky to see the collection in the summer of 2011.

Best regasds

Frank

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:07 pm 

Indeed, they can be only viewed by appointment. Just bevore the department closed, I had an email conversation with the responsible deputy director about this.

The Science Museum used to be one of my favourite places in London. Used to be. Not much left of it. Looks more like Disneyland (or rather I imagine Disneyland looks like; never been there). Not much left of the exhibits in many departments. On the other hand, I did actually quite like the newish aircraft exhibition. It would have been nice, if they had done something similar with the shipping department (though probably only half of the exhibits would have remained).

I'll stop here, otherwise I would lament again about museums, that in my view are places of preservation and (self)education, being turned into theme-parks for entertainment.

wefalck

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:31 am 

Not been back there since the move , but I was shattered when I learnt the news. A similarly event has occurred at the NMM London last time I visited there a few years back all of the Board Models have been moved out. Very few are left now. I agree its moving these institutions to Theme Parks - one of the biggest attractions at the NMM seems to be the World Map on the mezzanine floor by the entrance. Has young kids simply running around it and the displays had been moved out bar a few marble busts.

Norman

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:36 am 

It seems that most models of the NMM have migrated to the Chatham Dockyard, where many are on display in the old 'Smithy', but it is also a few years since I have been there, so I don't know what the current sitatuation really is.

A number of German museum developed an interesting concept that they call 'public depot'. While the 'normal' exhibition follow the now fashionable theme-park paradigms, they have separate buildings in which quasi the depot racks and shelves are put behind glass. Basically they are old-time vitrines with amassed objects that can be viewed more or less well, depending on the size of the vitrines. Explanations may be limited, but some museums put up touch-screens and you get almost all archival information on each object on them. In some museums the same information togther with potographs is also available on-line.

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:40 pm 

I went to Chatham Dockyard 3 or 4 years ago, the models where stacked in a dimly lit room with a window on one side only. One could only see the one or two nearest models. But I got very UPSET : even flashless photos were forbiden ! F* them !

Report this post