The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:49 pm 

Thank you Pascal! As this was my first effort using the Chitubox hollow feature and a super long print time, I was a little conservative.

Attachment:
DE Stern stuff.jpg
DE Stern stuff.jpg [ 320.67 KiB | Viewed 17109 times ]

Having run out of the grey resin I switched to black, which I had a little of, printing some of the various bits and pieces for the stern as shown here. All just sitting in place. Almost out of black, provider has updated and says resin by Monday, maybe. FEP maybe by Saturday? I have printed all the K guns but they tip over if not fastened to the deck. Have a mix of 600 lb "ash cans" and the streamlined MK 9 depth charges. The Orlikons are I believe to be the MK 10 with the MK 14 sight though most photos show them covered with canvas covers. These have the open stands.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:37 am 

Tom,

Quite impressive at this point, even though things are simply "placed" - nice build and high detail!!!

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:04 pm 

I suppose that if I don't get the resin for the bow, I could mount the ship sticking out of the wall like a head mount of a moose or something. Maybe back in operation early next week. Taking this time designing more bits and pieces. Currently working on the after portion of the deckhouse, attempting to discern Whitehurst's configuration here, though she began life almost identical to England, under construction right next to her and completed only a short time later. Certainly the Quad 40 aft, replacing the Chicago Piano is a big difference. Perhaps this made a big difference in their futures, though both struck by Kamikazies Whitehurst was able to be repaired at Pearl and return to wartime service where as the war ended before England was repaired stateside and she met the cutting torch. Things sometime turn on small events.

Song is good about updating his Nimitz project with each construction event, perhaps I should show the development of some of the parts.

Cheers: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:51 am 

Still dead in the water (or Ded, as in dedreckoning) till the resin shows up, production wise. However still able to grind away at the floor top computer. Working on the aft superstructure with drawings and photos. Spent considerable time revising (3 times) the tub area for the quad Bofors. The Whitehurst seems to have had a fairly unique arrangement here, which I am slowly divining from photos. Time to closely screen the movie Enemy Below, which will have a few differences from late war but still useful for many small details.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:11 pm 

Attachment:
Orlikon MK 10.jpg
Orlikon MK 10.jpg [ 248.66 KiB | Viewed 17020 times ]

The England AOS book indicates that these DE's were originally equipped with the 20 MM MK 4 Orlikon. This had an elevating mechanism operator and required an additional crew member. My unproven assertion was these were replaced, in the case of Whitehurst with the MK 10 and MK 14 sight either before or after her Pearl Harbor post Kamikaze refit. I have modeled both units so it's not a choice of convenience.

Attachment:
Hedghog.jpg
Hedghog.jpg [ 224.72 KiB | Viewed 17020 times ]

Hedgehog, a spigot mortar defied by the British, was a very effective weapon compared to depth charges. England used hers to kill all six submarines. The mechanism was provided with a tilting mechanism for each row which compensated for roll. The angling and firing was set to provide an oval pattern about 140 feet across with all projectiles arriving at the same time. Each projectile was contact fused and contained 30 lbs of TNT. Contact and explosion of a single projectile seemed to be enough to cause eventually fatal damage to a submarine. Sinking of the projectile was rapid, about 4.5 seconds per 100 ft. Post war Whitehurst was fitted with two Hedgehog units, trainable, on the O1 level in the place of the Orlikons located there.

I showed the goopy Gray

Attachment:
K gun rack.jpg
K gun rack.jpg [ 276.71 KiB | Viewed 17020 times ]

Whitehurst was fitted with 8 K guns aft which could throw either the MK 6 Ash Can or the lighter MK 9 streamlined depth charge. Range was controlled by varying the propulsion charge. These are just the racks as the K guns modeled in 1:144, tip over if not adhered to the surface. A davit was associated to assist loading spares into the rack, not installed.

I showed the Goopy Gray model, though the Rapid Black resin is slightly more detailed, but hard to see without paint.

Tom

Last edited by Fliger747 on Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:42 pm 

To reiterate the forum troll is not welcome posting here

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:55 pm 

Here in the sub arctic (Global warming has been a disappointment so far) and at the end of a long supply chain the FEP and resin not here yet, maybe soon? However in 3D though one needs resin and printer supplies, design can proceed. I have been working on the aft superstructure and the stack design.

Not the simplest stack as far as accouterments go...

Attachment:
DE stack.jpg
DE stack.jpg [ 148.28 KiB | Viewed 16984 times ]

The use of the proto mini model is showing it's value as additional info and interpretation keep arriving. In the issue of the aft superstructure there are numerous small changes differentiating her for her sister England, especially after her Pearl Harbor repairs. It appears that the quad 40 probably replaced the Chicago Piano at this point and numerous changes made in the tub. I think I can cobble up enough info to do the power cable spooling. USS Marsh was also set up with these.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:11 pm 

Attachment:
DE afr struture.jpg
DE afr struture.jpg [ 165.07 KiB | Viewed 16985 times ]

Working on the aft superstructure. The large power spools will be installed just forward of the MK 51 director tub.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:18 pm 

Yesterday screened the movie Enemy Below filmed aboard Whitehurst in 1957. Using Print Screen and "Frodoshop" The hobbit version of a popular editing software, I could pull stills showing ship details. Of course by 1957 much had been eliminated, such as all the 20 mm. Interestingly the K Gun DC racks were all cut down having 2 charges in line rather than three. Made for better access along the decks. Something else I also noticed was though there were port and starboard racks, there were not mirrored K guns. Also interestingly forward there were round coiled fire hoses on some of the bulkheads, I don't think these were there wartime. Location of the 3" practice gun still present and location clearly shown. The base of the stack, fed by two uptakes, has two large holes on either side, not shown on plans for lightening and cooling. The power coils midships did add some top weight, but these ships had a large meta centric height and as I can testify, tended to bob like a cork with a short roll period.

Pee Oh says my resin has arrived there, which means maybe out for delivery tomorrow? Maybe. Despite being a "Gummit job" they seem to be unable to attract "hep".

With luck some progress on the hull! Movie correctly has the 41 mount reporting manned, though there is only one. As dad would sat "Right way, wrong way, Navy way".

T

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:27 pm 

:thumbs_up_1:

Nice movie!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kPDQahMyWiw

•Battleship Bretagne 3D: https://vu.fr/FvCY
•SS Delphine 3D: https://vu.fr/NeuO
•SS Nomadic 3D: https://vu.fr/tAyL
•USS Nokomis 3D: https://vu.fr/kntC
•USS Pamanset 3D: https://vu.fr/jXGQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:02 pm 

Not a bad movie for 1957. At least then there were real WWII ships available to film on, even though special effects were bit limited. I didn't notice, but a lot of sea model scenes were filmed at Pinewood Studios near London back in the day. It would have been fun to see the large models in action back then, sub as in "Sink the Bismarck". Fun to see in a movie actual passageways one has traversed.

PO says resin has been delivered! Hope so.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:26 pm 

Under the "We'll see" clause of the model builder bible, We'll see.... Just started a 24 hour print of the bow section. In this case 1.5 mm thick instead of 2.5 mm used previously.

Cheers: T

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:19 pm 

Had a false start on the first bow attempt, somehow Chitubox hadn't hollowed out as I had thought. Had to go out and when I got back and checked she was printing a solid hull. A little weird as the predicted resin amount was pretty low given the supposedly thin walls. At least I have a nice paperweight now. About half printed currently. One could print all three sections of the hull at once, though a couple of recharges of the vat would be necessary. I could have done this model in 1:120 in four sections but really didn't want a model that large.

Attachment:
Bow printing.jpg
Bow printing.jpg [ 231.26 KiB | Viewed 16336 times ]

Not entirely push button technology yet.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:38 pm 

Front part of the hull painted OK, now to cure and join. Maybe I'll have a complete hull in a few days and can work on things like rudders, struts and shafts. I suppose I could mount it on a seascape vertically and dub it ""Whitehurst's last moments? The other sections dried so nicely in sunshine, not as much of that now.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:24 pm 

Bow is attached, I use epoxy for it's ability to fill uneven surfaces and relatively slow setting time, which allows precise alignment. It's the same length as the DMS, 306', but looks much larger due to the greater beam and hull depth.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:04 am 

Troll not welcome posting here.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:22 pm 

Yesterday printed a raft of chocks, bitts, and stockless anchors scaled from the TFD DE disc drawings. Came out very nice. Last night printed the stack assembly and the fwd 3" gun tub, which is a little interesting in having a grate to level the working area around the 3" piece, because of the rather strong sheer at this point on the deck. The AOS book had a nice drawing of this, I believe the 32 mount on the O1 level also had such a grating. Under research.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:49 pm 

Attachment:
whitehurst hull primer.jpg
whitehurst hull primer.jpg [ 265.72 KiB | Viewed 16263 times ]

Today's hull progress. Hull printed in three sections, each close to 9" long. I like using the automotive primer/surfacer which covers most sanding scratches and allows a smooth surface for evaluating fairness. If contours are OK, one can begin to proceed to wet sanding with finer wet/dry papers. Eventually arriving at a surface for finish paint. The primer surfacer does build enough to allow one to simulate plating lines if desired.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:35 am 

Nice hull. :thumbs_up_1:

•Battleship Bretagne 3D: https://vu.fr/FvCY
•SS Delphine 3D: https://vu.fr/NeuO
•SS Nomadic 3D: https://vu.fr/tAyL
•USS Nokomis 3D: https://vu.fr/kntC
•USS Pamanset 3D: https://vu.fr/jXGQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:44 pm 

Thank you Pascal! I am slowly getting better at this and really need to advance to a more sophisticated design program though I have gotten decent results working within it's limitations. It is very good at some things and provides accurate dimensioning. A program for engineers, not artists!

I always enjoyed the time that I spent in France: food, wine, culture.

Best regards: Tom

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next