The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:42 pm 

Happy new year Will, wow have to agree your destroyer has sure come along, how more more detailing is there to do, will look awesome sitting in the water,

Tony from SE/QLD

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:22 am 

HI Will well ive found your build an it looks great an you say you are a novice lord knows what you will be like when you get to be an exspert this is a very good build so far as ive only read your first page as my pc went down again due to low megabyte an its now came back up dam nuisance but got to live with it im afraid anyway im now gonna work on my tiger as the time is goin like wonoo I will have a look tonight at the rest of your build nice one :thumbs_up_1:
chris

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:53 am 

HI Will again lookin at your lovely model I see that she has portholes did you fit glass in them as ive got a lot to fit in my tiger an wondering the best way to go on this ?
chris

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:43 pm 

Hello Chris,
the portholes are brass and each came with a plastic insert, so you can paint it and once done, insert the plastic piece easily. They come in a range of diameters. Not sure where you are in the world, but I imported some from Croppers Models in the UK and from Float a Boat in Victoria, Australia. I am pretty sure any reputable model boat shop should have them. I had a go at making my own, but with time constraints, they were an easy, relatively cheap and nice looking addition,
Cheers, Will

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:48 am 

englishgunner wrote:
Hello Chris,
the portholes are brass and each came with a plastic insert, so you can paint it and once done, insert the plastic piece easily. They come in a range of diameters. Not sure where you are in the world, but I imported some from Croppers Models in the UK and from Float a Boat in Victoria, Australia. I am pretty sure any reputable model boat shop should have them. I had a go at making my own, but with time constraints, they were an easy, relatively cheap and nice looking addition,
Cheers, Will

HI Will im in the UK many thanks for the info on the portholes cheers I will have a look around :thumbs_up_1:
chris

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:15 pm 

Hello all,
I have been doing lots of small additions but have now nearly finished the search light tower. I probably committed a faux pas in that I only super glued the brass cage together. It seems very strong, but if anyone has done this or knows it will not stand the test of time as soldering certainly would please let me know....I used packing tape again for the canvas, it seems to do the job, and I put a LED light inside for a bit of fun,
cheers, Will

Attachments:
RTKZ1277[1].JPG
RTKZ1277[1].JPG [ 369.63 KiB | Viewed 138 times ]
PCXU2875[1].JPG
PCXU2875[1].JPG [ 165.3 KiB | Viewed 138 times ]
LWMM6572[1].JPG
LWMM6572[1].JPG [ 184.16 KiB | Viewed 138 times ]
JGGX8148[2].JPG
JGGX8148[2].JPG [ 99.26 KiB | Viewed 138 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:29 pm 

englishgunner wrote:
Hello all,
I have been doing lots of small additions but have now nearly finished the search light tower. I probably committed a faux pas in that I only super glued the brass cage together. It seems very strong, but if anyone has done this or knows it will not stand the test of time as soldering certainly would please let me know....I used packing tape again for the canvas, it seems to do the job, and I put a LED light inside for a bit of fun,
cheers, Will

HI Will you say that you have only super glued the brass cage together well it should be ok as I made up the big radar on a type 42 HMS EDINBURGH from brass rod an supergluded it togeather an 20 yrs on its still ok as a freind of mine bought her an I see her quite often an that has not fallen to bits mind you I live in the uk where here its not so hot as oz but I think it will be ok
chris

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:48 pm 

1f4d
Thanks Chris,
that does give me confidence.
I have completed both funnel caps, using brass wire and superglue, they turned out better than I thought they would. Photographs really bring out the imperfections, I had to tidy up my searchlight canvassing after veiwing the images.
Cheers, Will

Attachments:
CDOT8249[1].JPG
CDOT8249[1].JPG [ 307.31 KiB | Viewed 49 times ]
FUFY9748[1].JPG
FUFY9748[1].JPG [ 309.39 KiB | Viewed 49 times ]
Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8