The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: ARL 12 USS Poseidon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:49 pm 

KumShaw's better half, Rick, apparently made his fortune in transportation. When I first started going to Hong Kong, you could still hire one of his mounts at the Star Ferry Terminal in Central.

Part of ship modeling can be watching paint dry. Mixing a large batch of my APA haze Gray and testing for density and tint match one has to let the patch dry as it tends to darken a bit when dry. The 5-U base I can match, but I wish I knew what was exactly in the tinting mix. Purple and blues, yes, but there are a lot of blues. I seem to be getting closer with Pthalo rather than Ultramarine.

They had it boiled down for the Bosun's, so many quarts of tint mix per 5 gallon pail of 5-U (White).

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:18 pm 

Today's project, other than nailing down the final paint tint, couple of drops of blue and a drop of purple, shake the bottle, make a patch and let dry... Printing the midships pole mast. Doing a pair for either a good one or a spare. Printing at a 35 deg angle as a fairly thin tube with hopefully sufficient rigidity supplied by a core reinforcement. I have several diameters of Piano Wire and can find the best fit. If this mast prints OK then I can follow these guidelines for the aft pole mast on the signal bridge.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:21 am 

I printed two of the midships pole masts hollow. I sanded down one of my wooden dowels to make a reinforcing stiffener. I may try out a thicker piano or brass wire in the other for comparison. However this mast is guyed by four wires and if secured in this way should not suffer from distortion.

These were printed at a 35 deg angle which seemed to work out OK.

Cheers: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:51 pm 

Currently printing a follow on version of the midships pole mast, a little slimmer and with a longer cross tree. Will know in a couple of hours. Additionally the mast had what appear to be four radiating awning supports though I have never seen a ship with these rigged as such. Try one will be printing a quad set of them. However they might be too flexible so back ups might be more traditional or a combination of printed posts and wire horizontal parts.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:47 pm 

Under the "Wah hail" clause, there are usually discrepancies though often we can live with them. The midships pole mast came out OK, though the upper third of the hollow wasn't hollow. A matter of not draining I think. However as this mast isn't over rigged and mostly supported by guy wires, the support furnished with piano wire inserted to 65% length seems to be stiff enough.

The main mast which I printed last night was hollow the whole length and seemed to remain so. It's still cleaning but seems to be in good shape except for the ladder, which is on the starboard side and didn't remained attached. I think I can work around this as I have already a long mast ladder which i can substitute. Worse comes to worse I can print a revised version. So I'll go through and select an appropriate piano wire and see which one fits the as built mast. Perhaps the issue with the ladder was (1) not solid enough supports (2) ladder too thin (3) orientation.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:54 am 

I "cemented" (remember that modeling term?) the midships pole mast in place after attaching the four guy wires with small black beads simulating insulators. Next task with this will be affixing the deck end of the guys evenly without setting a bend in the mast. I printed the main mast and as indicated OK, but maybe reprint in a completely vertical manner. I will experiment with leaving the arms and gaff hollow such than I can insert a very thin reinforcing wire. Problem with the main mast is I forgot to reinforce the upper deck in the main mast area (should have glued a wooden block below) so the guy wires will have to provide some stability. As I replicated all the bulkheads in the two levels of O1 and O2 this area is no longer accessible from below. If I get something to a "stage" I'll crank up the lights and camera.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:13 pm 

Main Mast hot off the press! Looks good so far with a little curvature of the yard arms. All the appendages are printed hollow so as to insert stiffening wire. If the yards don't work I can amputate and print separate ones vertically which might give a better form. This was near the vertical limit of my small printer and took 14 hours to print!

The pole midships mast is in place with guy lines.

Attachment:
ARL Main mast.jpg
ARL Main mast.jpg [ 227.19 KiB | Viewed 534 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:45 am 

Tom,

Good work on the mast development! I too (as I mentioned to you) had issues with printing the crossarm yard as part of the mast - it tended to be a bit out of round and slightly curved. So, in my T-3 mast designs I will print the yardarm as a separate, upright piece. With the hollow core, I think we've established that parts such as this and kingposts do better printed upright, and hollow.

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:52 pm 

"Lecchya" know how the mast comes out as a set of pieces, curing now. It appears that printed at 35-45 degrees still comes out well. Blowing the tubes out after rinsing and before drying/curing helps insure that the tubes stay hollow. As to other gewgaws I printed some SG radar units and fire hydrants.

"Kline fragen"? During WWII were ships hydrants and associated equipment painted red as is current practice, or not?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:19 pm 

Attachment:
ARL Pieced Main Mast.jpg
ARL Pieced Main Mast.jpg [ 214.4 KiB | Viewed 496 times ]

Main mast, pieced together with separate yard arms carried with a supporting wire internally from side to side. Gaff similarly with and internal wire taken into a socket in the mast. Main pole with a two piece reinforcement to allow carry through for arms.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:15 pm 

Superb mast. Very accurate. :thumbs_up_1:

•Battleship Bretagne 3D: https://vu.fr/FvCY
•SS Delphine 3D: https://vu.fr/NeuO
•SS Nomadic 3D: https://vu.fr/tAyL
•USS Nokomis 3D: https://vu.fr/kntC
•USS Pamanset 3D: https://vu.fr/jXGQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:33 pm 

Thank you Pascal:

I will use this same method to re do the mast for the LSM which got the limps.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:58 pm 

Tom,
Your mast is quite impressive - kudos!! Looks like we've finally established a "standard" for how to print long items and get them not only correct in detail, but straight as well! I will more than likely modify my T-3 mast accordingly before I do a 1st print as it's too tall for the printer in one piece as is and I'd rather print it upright.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:55 pm 

Hank:

Looking at a photo taken from the base of the mast I see four guy lines with two insulators each. As you suggested perhaps there is turnbuckle at the base?

I spotted some fighting lights about 40% of the way up the mast and am printing a set of those.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:49 pm 

Today I finished adding all the slip on arms to the main mast and a small platform that goes up about 20 ft up the port side, with a conduit down to the deck. Hard to see what is on the platform but possibly a small bar antenna. As I mentioned, there are four guy lines, fun had by all feeding the guy thread into the <.5mm hole in the mast padeye. The two semi hidden by the ladder were the most difficult. The last one, stubborn required a small innovation, CA'n a short piece of sprue to the end of the thread to allow for the camel to pass through the eye. Tomorrow I'll rig the gaff halyard down to a cleat at the aft end of the mast base. Rigging the deck end of the guys will present challenges, being in a narrow space behind fragile lifelines. They feed through a larger padeye with shackle, an easier target. Sailors vocabulary is quite useful!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:13 am 

Tom,

Progress comes in small increments, and you seem to be forging ahead with the small but needed detail work. Hope to see pix soon of the ARL!!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:59 am 

After the APA, it seems as if it's got as much free deck space as an aircraft carrier... (Ha!) I keep pouring through dad's photos and harvest a few details here and there.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:06 am 

Tom,

Appropriate vocabulary can be necessary to get the job done. For a good laugh here is an example.

LT Philip Sheridan (later General and Head of the Army) was responsible for building a road from Fort Hoskins (near my home of Corvallis, Oregon) to the Coast Indian Reservation headquarters at Siletz, in the middle of the Coast Range. This was the far end of the western US Frontier. His crews hacked a road over and through the mountains in about 1857-58 and the time came to send a wagon load of supplies from the Fort to the reservation.

They sent out a wagon about 8 AM one morning, and a couple hours later the Sergent in charge returned, saying the oxen had stopped, refusing to pull up a steep grade. So Sheridan rode out to the wagon, climbed into the seat, and tried to get the animals to move. They didn't budge. Then he started cussing a blue streak, and the animals started moving! He later said he then realized that the oxen had been broken in by a crusty old horse trainer and they had learned that cursing was the signal to go! We have this story from Sheridan's own writings.

It was the only wagon to make it over the mountains, and it never returned. Sheridan later commented that it was the least successful road he ever built. But several of the current modern roads in this part of the state still follow Sheridan's routes. We had a very pleasant walk along one of them just the other day.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:13 pm 

Phil!

Good story!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:19 pm 

Attachment:
ARL Bridge.jpg
ARL Bridge.jpg [ 105.38 KiB | Viewed 703 times ]

Current status of ARL bridge work. Added main mast, guys and halyards. WIP...

Tom

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next