The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: ARL 12 USS Poseidon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:39 pm 

T'will be time soon to attach the bridge structure to the aft O1 level module. The main reason for this is to allow attachment of further guy wires to the main mast. My photos of Poseidon show a lot of guy wires, though none are sufficiently clear or broad of coverage to allow a full assessment. Perhaps I can at least get a get a partial solution, using the LST rigging as a guide. As an extra deck was added and the gaff moved some research is necessary to get the best solution. At least a full set of guys goes to the top of the mast in addition to the set at the crosstree. In addition a set of foot ropes is attached to the yardarms. Obviously a pre OSHA rig dating to the days of full rigged sailing ships.

I attached the stern anchor winch and cable from there to the stern pulley fitting. Eventually I will be able to attach the stern deckhouse, but I want to see what bulkhead items were carried inside the "tunnel". My favorite way to attach mounts and turrets is via magnets, will see if this is feasible for the stern 40 Quad.

Cheers: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:47 pm 

Today attached the bridge works to the O1 level and added the guys from the top of the mast to padeyes there. I use a non fuzzy nylon thread for the guys. Also added a couple of wire antennas from sprue, which has the advantage of being smooth like insulated antenna cable and can be applied with a small sag.

The fore and aft Quad 40 mm Bofors are attached to their tubs with magnets, a magnet affixed underneath the tub deck and a washer on the quad bottom. This allows possible "Maintenance" and positioning.

Getting closer to attaching the aft deck house assembly to the main deck... Harrumph!

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:17 pm 

Attachment:
purloined jeep.jpg
purloined jeep.jpg [ 384.59 KiB | Viewed 641 times ]

The Purloined Jeep, won by the Captain in a poker game. Where this took place I am not sure, Pearl Harbor perhaps too obvious, Mog Mog on Ulithi probably didn't have enough roads for a jeep to use, perhaps Guam or Okinawa. I do have photos of it being used on Okinawa and near the Fuel Depot at Manchester Washington.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:16 pm 

I see, goofing off in the CO's JEEP while stores are sitting on the pier waiting for a working party to carry them aboard....what is the Navy coming to???? :doh_1:

Tom - very nice work, indeed!!! Just had to take the opportunity, LOL!!!

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:59 pm 

T'was assigned calibration of the speedometer... Bridge says the ship is doing 10 knots (11.5 mph). Apparently the speedometer is broken as it's saying zero. Got the machine shop making a new speedometer cable, maybe that will work?

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:06 am 

Spedometer calibration was interrupted by the squawk of the Klaxton and a call "General Quarters, General Quarters, all hands man your battle stations". A Gooney bird (Albatross) landed on the fantail. A stand down was ordered after it was determined the bogey was not hostile. Given all the things that can happen at sea, particularly in a war zone, sailors being superstitious is simply good sense.

Todays progress? Attached the aft superstructure and the aft 40 mm deckhouse to the hull. Again using Epoxy to allow at least a reasonable time for precise alignment. After the deckhouses mounted, the Gravity Davits (Whelan type) were affixed to superstructure and deck. A template was made from Strathmore to assure parallel alignments of the separate tracks. Several small parts were printed, vents an many more to go as I begin to track down with more malice aforethought all the small vents scattered bow to stern.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:15 pm 

Today, other than moving snow, am printing a pair of prototype prop guards. Going to, I believe be a little trial and error as it's a compound curve portion of the hull with no two of the straight pieces the same length or pointed the same direction. A Destroyer or Cruiser hull might be a little easier in this respect. Only a couple of hour print job so should be done by the time I finish moving snow.

Careful perusal of mast photos indicate three sets of fighting lights so I did a little redesign on those units and they are printing along with the prop guards. The one's I printed didn't clear the inconveniently located ladder on the side.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:49 pm 

Attachment:
ARL w Superstructure.jpg
ARL w Superstructure.jpg [ 282.15 KiB | Viewed 552 times ]

A few changes: All main deck superstructure now attached, life rafts and gasoline drum rack added, starboard prop guard snatched, more small vents and new more svelt booms, quad Bofors attached by magnets, removable and positionable.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:02 pm 

Nice picture ! You have made good progress :thumbs_up_1:

•Battleship Bretagne 3D: https://vu.fr/FvCY
•SS Delphine 3D: https://vu.fr/NeuO
•SS Nomadic 3D: https://vu.fr/tAyL
•USS Nokomis 3D: https://vu.fr/kntC
•USS Pamanset 3D: https://vu.fr/jXGQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:59 pm 

Tom,

The ARL is really coming along!!! I like the nice crisp details and your paint job to match! Overall looking real good!

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:22 pm 

Thank you Hank and Pascal!

There is a lot of potential detail out there, the few photos I have that are useful from my dad allow a lot of detail, but just like the Missouri, there is so much that is not photographed. Distant photos often have such a jumble that one cannot pick out useful detail to produce a replica. I did just discover that Poseidon had two rack mounted rafts (at the rail) far aft. I had produced these rafts previously as many ARL's had a number mounted LST fashion at the rail. I thought that Poseidon didn't have any. I do have to add some raft supplies to them.

A really adventurous type would have executed the pre Okinawa "greens" camo paint job, for which I actually have the schematic. However the photo of her arriving at Okinawa in that scheme seems to differ from the drawing. Being a color mixer I didn't have good info on how to do these.

The Higgins boats were hung form the cables in the davits and unlike the APA didn't rest in cradles. Modelwise this presents a potential fragility to allow the boats to hang from printed hooks. Time will tell.

Tonight printing the walkway between the O1 level aft and the aft Bofors deckhouse/tub.

Tom

PS: To paraphrase the song "Kodachrome", "Everything looks better in Black and White!". If we followed the existing photo evidence we would only paint our WWII era ships in Grays.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:27 pm 

Added the sky bridge between the O1 level and the aft Bofors tub. I only had to add a thin styrene shim at one end to get a perfect press fit. Also added the far aft rail rack Carley floats.

Bad news? The last little bit of my deck grey dried up and I need to mix some more. As I got through almost 4 models with a mixed bottle of this it's been many years so much fun will be had to match! Perhaps I can use photoshop to see what is in there besides black and white. Certainly some blue, maybe not purple? Somewhere, somewhere I have/had a colorimeter, somewhere? Deck gray was unique in that it wasn't made from a white base and a standard rated proportion of PB tinting medium. It came as is from supply.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:05 am 

Tom,

Boats suspended from the Welin davits usually had "preventers" (or some other such terminology) to secure them from swinging uncontrolled. These were ropes or flat straps that were attached to the ends of the davits, wrapped around the outboard side of the boats, and were tied off to the davits below the boats.

They were arranged in two different ways. In one way the straps attached to the same davit above and below the boat. With the other way the strap from the top of one davit wrapped around and under the boat to attach to the opposite davit.

On some ships there was a moveable support beam that was swung up under the boat keel to support the weight of the stowed boat. This beam was swung down clear of the boat before launching - after the preventers were removed - to allow the boat to be supported by the boat tackle.

Here re some illustrations from my CAD model of the USS Oklahoma City CLG-5:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=70810

In the first picture the support beam is under the boat keel and preventers are attached. In the second the preventers have been removed and the support beam is lowered. In the third the boat is swung out on the davits ready for boarding.

Phil

Attachments:
MWB launching 1.jpg
MWB launching 1.jpg [ 123.53 KiB | Viewed 493 times ]
MWB launching 2.jpg
MWB launching 2.jpg [ 122.84 KiB | Viewed 493 times ]
MWB launching 3.jpg
MWB launching 3.jpg [ 128.08 KiB | Viewed 493 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:10 am 

Phil:

Thank you, those are excellent illustrations. As far as I can tell from the LST illustrations and photos that there was a bumper on the inside of the davits to allow the preventers to snug the boat tightly against sway. The APA's had a similar setup when boats were carried outboard as well as in the racks. Those bumpers were hinged to swing outboard when needed. I need to go back to LST references to see just how low in the davits the boats were stowed and the size and the shape of the bumpers.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:19 am 

excellent built. Looks near to completion.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:36 pm 

Looking at Phil's images you can see the curved bumper for the 26' MWB, nicely shaped to fit the hull. The LST ones are a bit more generic. The ARL's usually carried 36' LCVP's in the davits, but fairly often the 40' Motor Launch which have a different hull shape. My guess is in a war zone that if a boat was damaged you either made do, replaced it, or time and materials permitting, fixed it.

I don't have a good record on actually declaring complete any model, they keep getting modified and upgraded. The only one that is sort of complete and sitting in a hall display cabinet, is "Whitehurst" a 7 1/2" DE waterline model. Completed using nothing but styrene, wire, a knife, tweezers and nippers. The lifelines are from an old girlfriends hair and have held up well.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:00 am 

You are right about the bumpers. They were shaped to fit the motor whale boat hull. They were bolted to the davit "crane" and did not swing to the side. When the assembly slid down the rails it tilted over at the curved part of the rail, allowing the boat to swing free.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:29 am 

I believe they were fixed and squarish on the LST types. On the APA they were swung inboard for launching of all three stowed boats. I still need to make the bumper assemblies for the APA even though I am not displaying the outboard boats.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:33 pm 

Attachment:
Monkeys fist.jpg
Monkeys fist.jpg [ 217.53 KiB | Viewed 748 times ]
I noticed this hanging up by my key rack. A harkening back to the old days and transition to the new. I made this "Monkey's Fist" as a young man. For those who don't know it's used for a heaving line. Perhaps a little more deadly if wrapped around a lead ball. Once upon a time I could do an eye splice faster than a landlubber could tie a bowline.

Relics

Added main deck lifeline stanchions from the bridge wings aft.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:45 am 

I end up redoing some items, not long after initial adding them. The aft Carley floats, mounted at the rail were too tall on their frames and needed to move aft a little under the 20 mm tubs. So I uprooted them using my handy pliers. Generally things pop off, though glued with CA, the paint usually yields from the substrate. Shortened the legs, added a base bracket, painted and re installed. Popping the paint off leaves a "disruption" in the deck paint. Not normally a big deal but I flat ran out of my stash of home mede deck blue. The concoction I made has been satisfactory but was so long ago I don't remember what blue was in it. In the meantime I have a bottle go Floquil deck blue. As an aside I have always liked Floquil MRR Paints. The surprising thing is my existing and the Floqui are a very good match. Lucky beats good... A couple of stanchions needed to be relocated, small item.

Looking at photos from Stbd Astern, I spy a large cable reel near the lifelines, aft and a life ring on the very stern lifelines below the Bofors tub. Wondering id the port side aft also had a cable reel, photo search! So far not spotting smoke generators though dad said they made smoke at Okinawa.

Minus 41 in town today, chilly enough!

Tom

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next