The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: DMS 14
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:13 am 

Currently working on the large cable spool locate just forward of the aft deckhouse. This cable was trailed, generating a magnetic field to attempt to set off magnetic mines. The ship required an upgrade to the electrical generating capacity to power this piece of equipment. From the spool, the cable ran alongside the deckhouse and over the stern, passing through a series of guides. I would guess that a pig or float was attached at the end when streaming, but am not certain of this.

Cheers: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:47 pm 

Under the 'Wah hail" clause of scratch building, turns out there is a difference between the drawings and photographs. Concerns the number of spokes in the spool. Going with the photo... So back to the 3D file for some mods. The trial original spool looks OK size wise, Seems to have displaced the starboard K gun. Lopsided charge pattern! Apparently some unlucky I Boat was sunk by a DMS... Not a USS England.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:18 pm 

Attachment:
Mag spool.jpg
Mag spool.jpg [ 287.26 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]

Trial magnetic cable spool, not painted. And yes there are a few items that need adjustment here and there. It's not done yet...

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:44 am 

What can you do with 1000 tons? Puke your guts out!

The end of the magtail was suspended from a float early on. The one we had (1950s-60s) was clad in a flotation jacket (like a lot of float beads on a string) and didn't need the float at the end.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:26 am 

Phil:

From the diameter of the Mag Line I had guessed it was clad in a floatation material. The only reason I would have thought a float might have been trailed would be for visibility. Some of the ships appeared to carry the spool starboard and some portside. The only difference I see this makes is what side the remains K gun is on.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:53 am 

Currently I painted the Magtail on the spool black, not sure if this is correct. Not having a hobby shop within 400 miles sometimes things like paint can be a make do. Amongst artists supplies Liquitex makes a line of "Flats". I picked up a bottle of their flat black, somewhat expensive, but really a first class paint. Applies smoothly and stroke less by brush. I expect it would also airbrush very well.

Summer slows down progress, many things to do!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:28 pm 

Tom,

Our magtail was black rubber coated except for the bare conductor parts (1" diameter copper) at the very ends. All but the last 30-50 feet was inside grey cylindrical floats strung on the cable like beads.

Don't know if this was the practice in WWII.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:30 pm 

I suppose that I could build the model in era appropriate black and white. However I suspect the buoys stowed alongside the aft deckhouse, port side, might have been other than monochrome. Perhaps Phil, our only local denizen of the mine fields, might have at least an educated opinion. Of course if I post only Monochrome Images I can do whatever I want.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:35 pm 

When I was on the minesweeper (1969) most things were grey, but the buoys were bright orange. We used them to mark the edges of mine fields and other important navigational hazards.

This brought to mind something long forgotten. We were supposed to place a marker buoy at some location - I don't remember what - and had aboard several railroad car wheels for the anchor. The chart showed the depth and we had a "proper" length cable that was prepared by the shipyard. When our navigation team said we were at the spot (verified by observational and radar bearings to shore features) we shoved the anchors over the side, followed by the buoy. It had a long pole on the top with a radar corner reflector, and this pole lay horizontal as the anchor descended to the bottom. When the cable payed out it would pull the buoy upright.

We watched and waited for buoy to right itself when the anchor reached the bottom. Suddenly the buoy jerked upright and immediately sank below the surface. We could see the radar reflector about 10-20 feet deep in the water!

It seems to me that this was typical for that ship. When we tried to sweep mines we fouled the gear and ended up pulling the mine toward the ship - fortunately they were training mines. Nothing ever seemed to work right. It's not a surprise that the navy decided to shitcan the MSIs!

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:21 am 

Phil:

Good sea story, I can see where minesweeping was a somewhat complex evolution. In Japan home waters the mine sweepers got to fight the war until well after hostilities had ceased. I can see where the chart depths might be a little approximate in detail. A little extra line would at least allow for some scope.

Currently working on the davits for the two 26 ft Motor Whale Boats. The Starboard one seems to have a hard canopy, future conversion project. I originally used some detailed drawings to make two sets of davits for a Fletcher. The davits shared some similarities but the tops are angled for the DMS as opposed to arched on the Fletchers. The lightening holes are so small they didn't print. There are limits!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 10:39 pm 

Small az progress. Attache davits for the 26' MWB's, a couple of potable Billy Pumps, some 3"50 ready boxes, and designed and printed a 24: searchlight to be placed above the flying bridge. Weekend guests impeded progress, besides it's sunny and 75 so many fun things can be done. Target practice, target is a .22 brass laying bottom facing on a wooden block at 50' Never missed, never hit the block. Winter is Alaska model season!

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:52 pm 

Attachment:
DMS Capt gig.jpg
DMS Capt gig.jpg [ 390.9 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

Some progress has been made, I added a cowl to the Captain's 26' MWB "Gig". You would think that a Captain of a US Warship would be paid enough to not have to have a "Gig" on the side... The photos provide a lot of somewhat detail cluttering the decks, much of which is probably shipyard "crap". Trying to figure out what any of it is and it's relevance is a bit of a task.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:05 pm 

The 26' are very fine! The roof also. :thumbs_up_1:

I have to do this model for my T2.

This ship will be a amazing 3D master piece! :cool_2:

•Battleship Bretagne 3D: https://vu.fr/FvCY
•SS Delphine 3D: https://vu.fr/NeuO
•SS Nomadic 3D: https://vu.fr/tAyL
•USS Nokomis 3D: https://vu.fr/kntC
•USS Pamanset 3D: https://vu.fr/jXGQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:37 pm 

Thank you Pascal!

I previously did pair of boats for my 1:192 Alaska, one with cowl and one without. They came out fine in that scale, though in comparison, I was fairly happy with the same pair made by traditional methods. The program I am using is quite good for many things, but boat and ship hulls are not one of them. The DMS hull could have been made much better with plating details etc with a more sophisticated 3D surface design program. At least I learned a few things along the way!

Best regards: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:07 pm 

Off to a meeting of my pilot group ini a bit. For a small group, surprising to have three 747 Captains, a larger number of Vietnam Era Phantom drivers and helicopter pilots. Previous members include an early days Pan Am pilot and the son of one of Alaskas pioneer aviators and an Air Force Thunderbirds pilot. Fun bunch!

I painted the bottoms of the whaleboats, after some discussion about how to go about it. I ended up using the Cricuit stencil material cut into pin stripes to use a a masking tape on these small items. Seems to be an ok, if tedious method.

Note that this ship, though following more or less Herman Wouk's ship he served on, it's actually the subject of his Novel the "Caine Mutiny", USS Caine. This allows some more artistic license. After all this is an art.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:20 pm 

Beautiful morning, crisp early light in the forest, the Chickadees perching on nearby branches pecking apart sunflower seeds. Setting the latest evolution of the 24" searchlight (Caine Carried one) out on the deck rail to dry in the gentle breeze. I did a design of my own, but also received a searchlight file from Hank Strub, in this case I modified only very slightly. The big change is making the light hollow with an attempt to attach a clear lens to the finished item. I did this on Alaska (1:192) for her larger searchlights with some success. So we shall see. The exact configuration of the flying bridge and searchlight platform need clarification.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:27 pm 

Attachment:
DMS Searchlight platform.jpg
DMS Searchlight platform.jpg [ 202.06 KiB | Viewed 637 times ]

Flying bridge searchlight platform. A little unique as it has sort of a bipod support at the front and attaches to the mast at the rear. 24" Searchlight courtesy of Henry M Strub III. I modified this slightly by adding some electrical cable an hollowing it out and glazing. The port side, aft has a vertical access ladder with will be added later.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:44 am 

Hi Tom!
It's nice search light and platform.
Best regards; Song

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:33 am 

Thank you Song!

I have printed another set of the platforms with an adjustment of the supports. Though these printed fine a re arrangement of supports will allow easier trimming of the locations where the supports meet the object. The searchlight was basically designed by Hank Strub and I modified it slightly to hollow it out. The cavity was painted with a silver metalizer and the lens formed with Testors Window Maker. I also added some external electrical cables.

I also have printed a stub mast, approximately the lower half, which will act as support for the platform. The mast is hollow and actually a cutdown of the ARL mast, reinforced with piano wire. The piano wire will allow solid joining of the mast parts. At this point I do not wish to install the entire mast.

In other events, I am re doing the bilge keels.

Nothing is ever "done". Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:39 am 

Wah Hail:

Today I mounted the lower mast, searchlight platform and re did the forward half of the bilge keels. Enough for one day!

Tom

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next