The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: DMS 14
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:14 pm 

Thanks Hank! Many small parts to add still, running lights, stern jackstaff, maybe some more buoys, then there is (ugh) rigging. As to the base, I like the way the dry dock blocking looks, however these ships had very rounded hulls and blocking wasn't simple as it is for more flat bottomed vessels. The photos I have seen of the Clemson's in dry dock often use the large timbers wedged between the side of the ship and the walls of the dry dock much like an old timey sailing vessel. Not a suitable system for a ship model base.

Time to haul out the stencil cutter as well.

Cheers: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:35 pm 

Surprising thump from a nearby "Blunder Thumper", hard tropical (not warm) downpour. hauled the Cameo stencil cutter out and cut hull numbers and ships name. Currently using the hull number Wouk assigned in his book. Number 22, which was actually the USS Emmons. The stern name during the war was generally painted out and I am using the spelled out letters to simulate the welded on characters, then will paint it out in grey to leave them in shallow relief.

Also printing running lights , buoys and stern jackstaff, will be off the printer in a short bit. Doing the hull numbers in white, scale 24" high, no shading. So far not seeing stern hull numbers, doesn't mean that none existed. Easy to add if necessary.

I might re do the radar and see about reducing the grid diameter a little. I used to have some really fine gauze netting (hiding) ribbon which made fantastic grill screens even in1:192. May have to look about next time, would add a lot if I can do the super fine screening.

Rain was welcome! Cheers: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:08 pm 

Added the bow numbers, scale 2' high, white and the name on the stern, painted over so the letters are in relief. Added stern Jackstaff, running lights and some other small nit-noid details.

In order to keep the steps forward/backwards ratio small with the hull on its side to do bow numbers I somehow got a small glop of CA or something on the hull, and of course removing it required a very minor fill with glazing putty. Haven't sanded and repainted yet.

Still trying to identify some components seen on photos. Usually more than one sighting is needed to tie these mystery's up.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:21 pm 

In some circles it's philosophically popular to "Trans" the kids, instead I occupied myself with "Bronzing" the props. The props had a decent fresh polished bronze look, but taking a Hank photo of Stoddard in dry dock, and my own memory of weathered but clean props, I darkened then up a but with a new mixture of my bronze acrylic, hull red and flat black. We shall see. Printed some more props in case I screw these up.

By way of nit-noid parts, added a three spool reel to the main deck, portside aft of the clip shack, and a small tool box on the aft end of thee O1 level, aft deck house.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:18 pm 

Under the "Wah Hail" clause of scratch building, It appears that the DMS were probably equipped with the SC rather than the SC-2 Radar, so back to the scribbling board.

Harrumph!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:57 pm 

I liked the bronzing of the props well enough that I might make a set of the 4 and 5 blade props for Missouri and replace the brass ones I have. Those brass shafts are threaded at the end as are the props. Just get out the thread gauge and make sure I still have the right size tap. Be interesting to see how well the resin taps, have plenty of props to experiment.

T

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:44 pm 

Tom,
If it helps I have this picture of an SC antenna that might provide some detail:

The build has been truly enjoyable to watch, I'm sure the corrected radar antenna will be equally amazing.

Currently on the building ways:
1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Cook Inlet AVP-36
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:19 pm 

Tom,

That's one of the better photos I've seen of the SC RADAR set. Sorry, I just checked my design files - I have not yet had a need for an SC unit, so haven't any DSM file to share :sorry:

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:29 pm 

Bruce:

That's a really good photo, probably the clearest I have seen. Typically there seems to be variations but this one is a really good example.

Currently versed off topic for a bit, printing a set of props for 1:192 Missouri The current brass props are threaded for 6-32, for which I fortunately have both a tap and die.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:28 pm 

Under the "Wah Hail" clause, steps forward and backwards... Added the draft marks forward, a somewhat tedious task, placing 1.5 mm numbers individually. Sprayed on a coat of Krylon 1311 matt to help secure them. Of course to really do this it's necessary to place the hull on it's side, and of course managed to un secure the bilge keels on both sides. Not the first time! The addition of some davit sockets, provided by Hank, was somewhat easier!

So some progress! "Mo" props are drying at the moment.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:12 pm 

Tom,
Found one more SC radar picture in my lacking filing system, not as good as the first one but descent angle for more details.

1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:37 pm 

Bruce:

That's a good one, at enough of an angle to estimate the depth of all the items. The previous photo had good details, but hard to make out the depth of the supporting structure. A good note that the framing is square section rather than tubing. In some ways that makes construction simpler.

Was the SC sported on Walke? At that time radar was just getting introduced to the fleet and not all ships were so equipped, even major ones.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:48 pm 

Howdy Bruce, Tom and all,

Fliger747 wrote:
That's a really good photo, probably the clearest I have seen. Typically there seems to be variations but this one is a really good example.

Same here: these pics of yours are the clearest I have ever seen, and were instantly added to my files.

As for the quality and (OMG) speed of this construction, man, I am speechless !!!!!! Please upload more pictures...

Nice going in TX and Alaska,

Willie.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:39 pm 

Thank you Willie:

Currently printing the SC radar, at least the first attempt at it. What I may try is making the fine horizontal screening by using sprue, often trying to print fine screen like that does not result in success.

One reason for a speed of build increase is the printing method allows swift creation of items created for other projects, bitts, chocks, items such as the 20 mm Orlikons and 3"50 singles in some profusion. I can create as many depth charges in whatever size I want easily and on and on.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:44 pm 

Tom,

One thing that I noted when I built my SC was the spacing of the horizontal lines. They're closer together at the top and bottom and space out as they move to the middle. Weird detail that I just had to work into my attempt.

1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:41 pm 

Bruce:

They seem to increase in density (small spacing) on either side of the dipoles. I don't think I will get every small cross bar in there. The fine sprue does seem to be a decent material for this. I am reasonably happy with the general framework.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:29 pm 

Off subject (Always a good move) the 3D design of the 6-32 screw threads for the Missouri 1:192 props worked well. A light smooth chase of the threads with a tap only made things smoother. Another very minor skill to toss into the practical kit bag of 3D skills.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:59 am 

In the Caine Mutiny, they are just getting into the worsening typhoon. Reading (re reading) the book now and with the experience of building this model, I can very well visualize the descriptions and activities on the ship. The two compliment each other well. As to typhoons, in 17 years in Asia I never quite experienced one, beat it out of Seoul for Shanghai 30 minutes before one hit, another time in Hong Kong it rained 16" in one day, but not much wind. One typhoon hit the south end of Taiwan, passed, circled around and hit them again. We would fly hundreds of miles out of the way to go around Tropical Cyclones in the Bay of Bengal, solid walls of lightening!

I added the fine cross bars to the SC with sprue and looks fairly convincing, sprayed it flat black for now. Rivet and bar counters can go build their own.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:16 am 

Tom,

Consider yourself lucky! In July 1971 we set out from Yokosuka for the gun line off Vietnam. We went through two typhoons on the way down and after two days off DaNang we were chased out of the Gulf by another. On the way back a fourth typhoon came across the Philippines headed for Vietnam so we ducked into Hong Kong. The typhoon changed course and bullseyed Hong Kong. We raced out ahead through the storm and went to Okinawa for some R&R. But we had been there only 12 hours when a fifth typhoon chased us out.

Three weeks and five typhoons (plus one tropical storm) later we pulled back into Yoko for some repairs and much needed rest!

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:08 am 

Weather forecast and storm tracking have improved greatly since 1970. Satellite imagery helps considerably even in general weather forecasting. Perhaps you remember West Coast forecasting from the period as being guess and by gosh, now by contrast in Puget Sound country all sorts of microclimates and convergence zones have been identified. For a trans Pacific flight our flight plans would contain very detailed information on winds and temperatures along our route as well as our plane and many others sending detailed wind and temperature information automatically via satcom as the flight progressed. Being wimpy civilians we generally had no operational requirements or necessities to butt heads against major forces of nature. Still happened once in a while.

There were and are more persistent obstacles for aircraft, what I call the Intertropical "Constipation" zone would be tremendous lines of huge thunderstorms for which we would have to pick a way through. All we knew was they would be there in this convergence and an exciting time would be had interpreting the airborne radar and also getting permission for course deviation on HF by the likes of Nadi.

The description of Caine battling out the storm rings quite true. Having to move topside in such conditions a real challenge! The high freeboard forward a disadvantage in high winds, not a huge rudder either.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next