The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: DMS 14
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:50 pm 

Attachment:
Caine July 2.jpg
Caine July 2.jpg [ 226.22 KiB | Viewed 802 times ]

Saturday July 2, the day the declaration of independence was signed if no approved. Coaming toward the End of Caine Mutiny, Queeg is torpedoing himself in court...

A work week off from modeling with an entertaining house guest. Since, a few minor things, you can see the SC radar, the basic frame is filled in with cross bars of sprue, which is finer than what I can print. Using the actual number of bars would be too crowded of an effect, which should remain pretty translucent. Guy wires added for the stacks glued to a padeye which makes for a more secure attachment to the deck. The stacks have extremely small padeyes printed on, with holes, but beyond me to stuff something through there. Brought to final tautness by applying proximal heat with a wood burning tip. An adjustable temp soldering iron would work.

3" practice gun is printed and drying prior to curing. This goes on the main deck aft of #3 stack.

Some mods need to be done in the yardarm and gaff area.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:29 am 

Looking good!

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:51 am 

Thanks Phil:

Sometimes I think one needs to build two models of the same ship, one after the other and incorporate lessons learned and mistakes eliminated. I since added TBS antenna, and the two mast guys which anchor on the foredeck. In respect to the principal there is no extra space on a warship, the rangefinder on the flying bridge, which is from a T-3 Tanker is a bit long (which I knew) so I am printing a smaller version with swinging clearance.

The fore guys are done with EZ line as opposed to sprue, probably more durable than sprue for this purpose.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:29 pm 

Howdy Tom and all,

Excellent update once again. The rigging in 1/700 could be optional, or a nightmare in any case, but in bigger scales it is a must. The stack guys are the same thing: they give life to any deck, and should be always added. In larger scales, this is also very easy to add.

Fliger747 wrote:
Sometimes I think one needs to build two models of the same ship, one after the other and incorporate lessons learned and mistakes eliminated.

I agree absolutely, absolutely. Repeating not only elements but whole sections has happened to me more times than I can remember. Double work, double happiness.

Please keep posting, and very best regards from Spain,

Willie.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:44 pm 

Some more than three decades ago I did a DE, the USS Whitehurst in her WWII rig, with only a knife, tweezers and pin vise. At 1:550 she's not huge but I've always liked her. I did only modest rigging, but hand strung lifelines using a girlfriends long hair. Surprisingly this has held up perfectly. Hard to believe the younger eyes could do all this without magnification.

Adding guy wires for the mast, printed some ringlets to use on the arms for the halyards and a new MK 56 rangefinder. Still studying to figure out what the likely guying pattern was. Again not a lot of consistency amongst the ships and rigging sometimes difficult to observe in photos.

The adventures continue!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:57 pm 

Tom,

Looking at Navsource under the DMS page - USS LAMBERTON has a somewhat fairly good stack photo showing the attached guy wires - http://www.navsource.org/archives/11/11090212.jpg

Also, this one overhead of USS SOUTHARD - http://www.navsource.org/archives/11/11091003.jpg

That seems to be about all there was that may be somewhat helpful!!

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:21 pm 

Thanks Hank:

Southard is one of the least converted but it's good photo. She looks more sailboat like with the spreader bars more than yards. Late in the War Herman Wouk was Southard's Exec on it's return stateside. I'm trying to use a forward port beam shot of Zane as may basic guide and attempting to make sense of it from the others, even if they differ a little. The gaff isn't well shown, Have to sort through the bunch again!

Cheers: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:24 pm 

I do pick up small details from Caine Mutiny, they took a kamikaze off Okinawa and mentioned the RED handy billies, I wondered if they were red. I think they were Kohler's. The tangle of fire hoses is mentioned. Still trying to find out where the hydrants and hose reels were. remembered a drawing, thinking maybe it was fire mains, but was fuel and feed water suctions.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:22 pm 

Wah Hail applies to other parts of life, been smokey enough from forest fires to not be able to fly my small airplane. But did a little work on the DMS. Added guy wires and signal Halyards to the mast, removed and repainted the Kohler Handy Billy's RED. The signal Halyards are quite tedious

Going to re do the gaff and have spied a radio antenna (HF) running from the mast to the third stack and a lead running down to stack one, aft end. The insulators I used on Poseidon are a bit big at this scale so may print something smaller. Also a slack line between the boat davits. Might do some work on the bridge face, maybe. I have an extra to practice on.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:10 pm 

Attachment:
Caine 5 July.jpg
Caine 5 July.jpg [ 255.55 KiB | Viewed 674 times ]

Some minor progress! Halyards and standing rigging added, Long wire HF antenna, new rangefinder, Handy Billy's painted red, new gaff and upper mast platform. Halyards are a bit tedious! Ah yes, 3" practice loader just aft of stock 3.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:18 am 

Always something to add. Installed small ship bow numbers on the two 26' MWB's. I have a spare bridge structure and am experimenting with re facing the pilot house and bridge wings using varnish soaked bond paper, an idea I got from Wefalk. The windows are a little too tall and the bridge wings had some minor wind deflectors. Also added the line running between the MWB davits. I think by late war Caine carried one, probably due to attrition as the "Gig" was described after the kamikaze attack as singular. Without regard I have two nice 26' MWB's and will hang in there with that. Not sure yet whether of not the line running between the davits had the common knotted ropes.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:20 pm 

Attachment:
Caine 6 July.jpg
Caine 6 July.jpg [ 275.29 KiB | Viewed 626 times ]

Attachment:
Caine July 6-2.jpg
Caine July 6-2.jpg [ 231.12 KiB | Viewed 626 times ]

Couple of minor progress shots. One of those what's different photos.

Photo, outside of course, it's that time of year. To get depth of field without using a very small aperture and studio flashes, a technique called photo stacking is used where a number of photos are taken to cover the range of desired sharpness and combined in Photoshop. Filtration applied to the color image approximates Orthochromatic film of the WWII era.

And yes in the photo I noticed that I knocked dow some lifeline in the handling on the foredeck.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:50 pm 

Tom,

Very nice photos of the model!!! Your photography ability really produces very nice and "time appropriate" shots which enhance the model immensely.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:08 pm 

Indeed! :thumbs_up_1:

The only thing left to do is to make a nice exhibition stand. :woo_hoo: :cool_1:

•Battleship Bretagne 3D: https://vu.fr/FvCY
•SS Delphine 3D: https://vu.fr/NeuO
•SS Nomadic 3D: https://vu.fr/tAyL
•USS Nokomis 3D: https://vu.fr/kntC
•USS Pamanset 3D: https://vu.fr/jXGQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:16 pm 

Hank/Pascal:

Thanks for the comments. My first 3D hull unless you count the 26' MWB's and LCVP's. As you are aware out 3D program, which is good good for a great many items such as superstructure units, weapons and any sort of deck gear. However it is not good or even really considered for complex curved shaped such as a ships hull. It can be done, but certainly not possible to do surface textures as plating and rivets such as included with Pascal's fine efforts. These textures do add a lot to a model! So for myself, this, as my nearly complete 3D printed ship is a learning experience. The APA, Alaska, Missouri and the LSM all have benefitted from many 3D components, many replacing traditional parts including some commercial items.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:41 pm 

Cobbled up a few more items, added the sonar dome, several steam control wheels on the main deck, printing diesel drum racks for aft midships port side, printing a number of hydrants and hose racks. . One of the BOGP's lists the frame locations of the hydrants and may or may not show their location on the main deck. Several of them are on the first platform deck and I will pass on placing them.

I did find a nice piece of Walnut from which a base could be cobbled. Might even get around to actually attaching the props some day.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:13 pm 

Tom,

Speaking of display bases, I need to get back to the one I've got assembled, stained, and finished for STODDARD - it is black walnut in the same style as the one I did for NEW JERSEY - a smaller board on top of the bottom base board which allows the plexiglass case to fit over the upper board and rest on the lower one. Now I need to locate and add all the keel blocks needed - I have them cut out but not finished to shape of the hull bottom so that will take some time.

You can usually find a slab of walnut at any good lumber store - just ask for Woody! :doh_1:

:big_grin:

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:26 pm 

Hank:

I do Have a decent walnut board in my wood stocks (from furniture making). The other choice would be Cherry. I'll probably rout a rounded shelf so as to retain a plexiglass top. Doing the cellblocks may be a bit fussy and time-consuming because of the rounded hull.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:08 am 

Some more small progress, modified the bridge are a little, would have been easier when I designed it... And of course wiped out some of the fragile foredeck lifeline. Added a couple of hydrants, Handy Billys, two Carley floats as shown abeam the well deck per the cover illustration of the 1st edition of Wouk's Caine Mutiny.

Ms Robilson Opined many years ago that the future is in plastics. In that vein I ordered a plastic 5 sided box (coffin) for Caine. I fully expect that the vendor will respond tomorrow that they don't ship to Alaska as it's not in the CONTINENTAL USA.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:11 pm 

Considering the keel block type base, though that gets a little complicated due to the quite rounded hull shape. I'll wait till the plexiglass Arrives (hopefully). So it it arrives, I'll make the base a bend to fit, paint to match.

Tom

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next