The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 am 

hello . Its good to see you are still posting and doing well , i hope you would show us a 3d ship if you get the chance one day , i havent gotten to a model ship in a while due to strikes and stuff . I wanted to ask a question . Did the kreuzer M have the same hull design as the hipper class ? ? And i hope we get a update soon

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:17 am 

Hello back to You D. No the hippers were 213 meters long (Over all Length) wich is from the very end of the stern to the very tip of the bow at the furthest extended end. The Munich is 183 meters (OAL). The Hipers were wider at the beam, had a deeper draft ect, ect. Similarly in design with the aspect that they were large for being a 8 inch gun cruiser but this was due to the need for the extended range comerce raiding mission that they were designed for. They could have carried slightly more armor but this would have slowed them down and the armor they did carry was sufficient to protect them in a one on one dual with any other 8 inch gun cruiser on the planet except the brookland class of America. I haave plans for Prinze Eugan like the plans for the M class. The Auto Cad will help allot once I get it rolling. I have been sending E mails to Blohm und Voss, and Krup in Germany to hopfully obtain more information and or blu prints and line drawings for the Panzership P desing, and the SchlacktKruiser O that I have described earlier in the Post. I am also currently working on my shop space and building a large Drafting table to more easily draft project material. I am seting up a Hobby Web site that will be called RC Dreamer, and helping My brother build small Pulse jet engines for RC aircraft use. I should have made a 1/350 scale Resin cast set up for the M class as I could have already completed the Molds and have had a product to sell, then went on the the big one I am doing now, but higned site is 20/20 as they say. I cant believe how anyone can have so much spare time in their life and do big projects and six months later be so busey that You cant even get a nap in on the side. I guess we all find our selves in the Doldrums from time to time. anyway just as soon as I get more done on this project I'll start posting more. If I start a new related Project I am going to take allot of pictures and get well into it and then make a new post so it doesnt drag into the half done stages like this one has. Smooth sailing and good talking to You. Haratio.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:28 am 

I see you are up early .Get to work we are waiting .

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:21 am 

it brings up a smile . Atleast i dont have to feel bad for half done projects and i know can throw wild events unexpected but hold true to your course and everything will be oraight . Maybe you should take a break and get some buddy or family time in . We all can do with some inspiration at times but i know in good time we will see your project . Show us your workshop please i would like to see how far that has come and maybe i can suggest something , polysterine works great against the wall to pin a plan down and to keep it neat , i am still waiting to hear what you will charge me for the plan . Lol . Best regards matey . Dieds

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:03 am 

Hello Haratio,

Long time no hear. I see that you are very busy.

Come on mate, we have a lot of commerce raiding missions to carry out.

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:19 pm 

TY Paul. Yes I have a sick grandmother at the moment. She is 95 and broke her hip 3 days ago. They replaced it and she is doing well but we are all concerned for her. I haven't done much with the ship except I ordered a Photo Etched catapult from White Ensign for when I add it and the Arado on to her, and have been drawing plans for the Super Structure. I love the bolt idea that You are using on Sharnhorst's Admirals bridge, and the wood work You reacently did was breath taking. I will definatly be applying similar techniques to the Munich. I have been playing with welding sheet alluminum and sheet metal, along with soldering. I like the mig welding approach for RC applications but for static display this is to rough. I have watched a man on the Youtube that rides around in a like in a 1/20 scale Graph Spee. (LOL). If I built the Munich big enough to ride in it would have to be about 1/15 scale because she was allot narower than Graph Spee. Or I would need to lose a bunch of weight. of course I could let my 8 year old daughter play in the cruiser, and make a Tirpitz for me. Any way I should be back to the Project soon. Smooth Sailing. Haratio.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:36 pm 

ahoy mr.haratio . I am sorry to hear the news about your grandmother and i bet with that kind of age she can tell quite a few stories from a different time and age but back to the topic . Have you tried using litho ? ? Its extremely easy to work with but it doesnt bond easily since its aluminium . I am trying a few building techniques again and hopefully i will strike a winner , i am having a fight with my admiral hipper since the hull at the aft where the shafts come out left me clueless so i am studying your pictures to hopefully give me a clue about what to do , there are so many things i have to build still but in time i hope . Hope your rough seas calm down a bit again soon

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:52 am 

look at Pauls Post, and at TheDreadnaughtproject.org, there are plans there for Prinze Eugan although they dont realy show a good 3d veiw of the shaft mount positions. you could buy a 1/400, or 1/350 for reference but then You have to hope that those were modeled after a reliable source. You almost need iner shaft references from above along with the side hull veiw to align them where they need to be. here is one of bismark that might help, and a couple from Pauls Sharnhorst. The Germans made their screws with pointier cones also. here is a pic or the actual center screw from Prinze Eugan.

Attachments:
BIS-13.jpg
BIS-13.jpg [ 34.66 KiB | Viewed 1167 times ]
scharn19.jpg
scharn19.jpg [ 104.56 KiB | Viewed 1167 times ]
scharn20.jpg
scharn20.jpg [ 101.54 KiB | Viewed 1167 times ]
Prinz_Eugen_Schraube_1.jpg
Prinz_Eugen_Schraube_1.jpg [ 121.82 KiB | Viewed 1167 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:02 am 

thank you so much mr.haratio , its the hull arches that give me a headache , it seems the germans were very particular at the aft section of theyre ships and to build the shaft exits or should i say to form the part of the hull to that shape is tricky but now i have reference pics . I dont buy kits due to the extreme hassle to find them and due to theyre heavy pricing here . Its far cheaper for me to build a large model by hand than to buy a smaller kit , its costing me about a 1:3 of the price that a kit would cost me

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 am 

Hello haratio,

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. My mother is some 87 years old and isn't better off than your grandmother. My mother is nearly blind and suffers memory loss, so she needs attention 24hrs a day.

Anyhow, that's life and we have to accept it the way god the almighty presents it to us.

Back to your build project. I await with great interest your progress, and many thanks for your kind interest and comments.

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:15 pm 

i know this is kind of off topic but is there a way to calculate the max weight of superstructures before the ship starts to tilt or lean to a side ? ? Why i am asking is , is because i have built a model once and all seemed well until i placed weight on her then she started to lean and just flipped upside down and sank so superstructures on a working model has been a kind of bad experience to me , maybe i made the structures too high and that caused the center of gravity to be too low , any tips ? ?

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:37 am 

Here i have pics of an enlarged version of the ships propulsion system.

Attachments:
Picture 236.jpg
Picture 236.jpg [ 104 KiB | Viewed 981 times ]
Picture 237.jpg
Picture 237.jpg [ 112.13 KiB | Viewed 981 times ]
Picture 238.jpg
Picture 238.jpg [ 87.35 KiB | Viewed 981 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:38 am 

wow thats really looks awesome , it kinda looks like a jet engine on the bottom of your ship and that is quite a huge propulsion system , your ships plating really looks great

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:40 am 

LOL its a thrust jet proto type for RC aircraft that My older brother is developing. it makes about 25 lbs of thrust and we are fixing to weld a stainles steel model next. I have a little shop arangeing to finish and I will be back to work on the ship. I have been working on a 1/350 version of the M class. If I can make a resin cast mold set to produce a garage model then I can sell them to further fund the big one, and some other projects that I have been drafting. I have also been saving 1500 dollars to buy a 3D printer to produce parts, and studying Auto Drafting so I can use it, and computer sesign plans, at the Moment I can still draw faster by hand and T squar. Anyway I should have some more progress soon on this project and I'll post more, wish Me luck with the small resin models. I wish You all smooth sailing as always, Haratio.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:43 am 

oh, PS for Your ballast issues, I sugest that You read the 1/72 Bismark post. He shows how he put lead shot and a few car bateries in his model to get it to ride in a scale ballast way lik a real ship and not a toy boat.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:08 am 

I have found that a ballast system for a model either solid or water is certainly one of trial and error . But the one that I have used for some years to replicate the dynamics of the real ship , as far as possible in a model is to feed the weight, usually sheet lead up the sides of the hull to finish just above the water line , the batteries do the rest.
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:41 am 

thank you for the awesome tip , i would really help me to build something unique , wow 25 lbs pressure is good for that sized engine , these days i am trying my hand at plastic molding and its still a bit tricky but i am getting the hang of it , what would a 1:350 model price of the kreuzer m ? ? . My workshop is in total chaos with waste plastic , litho , tools and all sorts of stuff laying about , havent had time to clean up the mess lol .

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:53 pm 

I wish to produce the Kruezer M/ The O class/ P class/ Z class Minsweeper/ Z class large recon destroyer and posibly the Wolf class Torpedo ship in 1/350, then 1/144 scale. I would like to sell them for about 20 to 30 dollars profit, however I want to keep them as cheap as posible so I'm estamating about 60 to 100 dollar kits when I put them on E bay. This is not expensive when compared to what other people have done with resincast garage kits in the past. And I want to make these ships because no one else has on a comercial basis yet.

I plan to sell any or all of these as I can produce them at cost plus mail cost to any of You guys from the forums though as I consider You all freinds and Ship enthusiasts, and I am figuring that this should be around 20 to 30 dollars for material costs, and whatever the postage would come to. I am fortunate to have the plans for these ships, and I am looking at drafting plans from them and not just 2d line drawings. I haven't had any success in actually obtaing blue prints from the Bundes Archives, or Ship yards in Germany yet, but hopfully this will change over time. For now the 2D line drawings, Photo info, and books will have to provide as much information on the subject as I can assimalate into logical draftings.

Now that all being said, this is allot on My plate, however I have come into a little bit of money so I am endevouring to finish my Pourch/workshop on my house, and set up a better work area. I have a sick grandmother that I am going to have to help watch, so I plan to set up a drafting set up and computer at My mothers resedence where My grondmother will be so I can work on stuff there as well, and with the way the Jobs and Economy is going down the toilet here in the states I am going to have to start making some extra money some how or I am going to be living in a tent LOL. Any way I didn't mean to go into a rant, But that is what I'm looking into at the time being, and if this can produce a bit of income, I can get into the larger 1/72 scal RC ships again. oh and PS there is a Arado sea plane in 1/144 scale so that is highly duable. When I started the Munich one of the basis for the 1/72 scale was the augmentation kits like the planes.

I am purchasing some mold putty and more resin tomorow to build my first hull mold for the M class in 1/350, so say a small prayer and wish me luck. I also want to paint the 1/72 scale hull and flip it so I can start working on super structer parts so I can post picks and keep this project going. When I get enough progress on the 1/350 stuff I will consider posting a new forum, but I dont wan't it to get in the way of this one, and I don't want multiple forums half finished, so I will only do that if I get allot done in a reasonable amount of time so I could post the whole thing at once and show the whole project from begining to finish and not be stuck in the middle like with this one. I wan't to Thank the Moderators and Creators of this forum as it is an invaluable source of motivation, and idea bouncing, and appologize when I have scewed it a bit off track, and a BIG thanks to Dave Wooley for helping guide it back on track when I slide off.

Smooth sailing to everyone, I'll post soon with some paint pics. Haratio.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:22 pm 

Go for it !

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:06 pm 

I haven't done anything new on the M class, however I have built me a 8 foot drafting table wich will prove invaluable to planing new parts for this and othe projects.
Attachment:
Picture 248.jpg
Picture 248.jpg [ 46.5 KiB | Viewed 2240 times ]

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next