The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:25 am 

Time to add more details on bloc n°3!

Look good... still a lot of work need to be done but it start well !

Back to work now! :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:49 pm 

In your previous post I see you using quite a bit of putty on the joins. Is the kit so bad that you need that much?

1/72 Steregushchy-class corvette

Mick
Tumut Australia

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:09 pm 

No, it is just because I didn't use the technic of bending the plastic with heat. So the rounded corner is done in two step, first I put a thin piece of styren at the backside and then put putty to filled the gap on the outside enough to allow me to recreate the shape by sanding the corner.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:07 am 

To get rounded corners can be done with extra styrene plastic (Hips Plastic) then just shaped with sanding back. The Frunze has similar problem areas and using the method I just spoke of make nice round corners where needed.

If you want to see my build goto my Facebook https://www.facebook.com/mick.elst

1/72 Steregushchy-class corvette

Mick
Tumut Australia

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:04 am 

Well, this morning with better light I check the work I've done yesterday and make some plans for futur work on this block.
I've some details to add on the first and second floor of funnel tower.

On this view, I can clearly see all the things I already done and all things I still need to do !

This is a very complicated boat ! :wink_3.gif

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:24 am 

Oh yes, like any Soviet ship it has clutter all around.
I've used both the filler technique as well as the styrene profile technique and I do believe the profiles are the easier way to go. They result in a more even circular shape and are less work to do since you don't have to apply second coats of filler etc.
However in the end it's the result that counts, so if you're more comfortable with filler, then that's fine.

My Udaloy? Which udaloy? :lol_pound: It's standing in front of me when I'm working on the workbench, but it's very unlikely that I'll ever do something on it again. Occasionally I'm contemplating a total rebuild since I've advanced a lot in scratchbuilding nowadays, but then I realise I don't have the time to do anything like that, so I drop it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:20 am 

A lot of water flows under the bridge but my project continue. I've done some work since last year like place stab rudder but there still rest a lot of work inside the hull.

I put some primer paint all over superstructure to have a better view of location who need to be fixed. I redo le tower mast, I was not satisfied by the old one.

Adding details on a model of that scale is not difficult but all of them do not deserves to be add. It's not a static model and the real model is very complex

There are some wires and lamps and other minors details who will be slipped, but I will try to put as much as I could. I did not finish yet the weapons system only their main bodies are temporarilly place on their final location just to get the overall pictures and references.

As I said before, the Arkmodel kit needs a lot of improvement. The place behind missile launcher was not accurate, I add a lot of element to get more realistic look of that par of the superstructure. However, the most tricky part was to adapt those details to the misconception of this kit.

I will be able to add more details on that location, this is still a work in progress here ! I still not have done yet to correct some problems with putty and also I still need to add some hatches.

I also start to work on barel mecanism on AK-130, this is required a lot of modifications to allow to do it, but once it will be finished, that will grant a cool cinematic here !

Adding details sometimes turn into a real nightmare because sometimes they need to perform some modifiction to the kit. Sometimes it is not possible except to redo a lot of superstructure. Once again, it depend on a simple question "Is it really necessary or is it just because you've you nose on all that pictures from the real boat and that detail will be see by yourself only ?"

Sometimes, however, it's worth it ! :)

And at the end, when I was able to do it, I do not have any regrets ! :D

Doing finescales is sometimes very frustrating, but when the result look fine, this is like an achievment I may be proud of it !

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:20 am 

When a compartmentwill be not accessible next, and because I will be put some light inside, I add some details. I add some desk and consoles and apply paint colors, of course I will need to enhanced the result, it is a bit to roughly done there !

I need to do a loooot of improvement on the cabine fly deck. Ant the putty party will be fun ! :D

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:36 pm 

Rebuilt de tower mast is painful... This bloody geometry shapes are a true nightmare. Because each parts must be absolutely correct or the whole assembly may look like wrong...

With perspective effect, even when all measurements are right, it still look weird.... Or bend...Or twist... :Mad_5:

My other concern it all those bloody photo etches mast who required some... compromises to be able to be put on that structure...

Finally, I temporarilly place those masts, to have a a better idea of wht kind of adjustments I will need to do next. This

It's not ideal, but for now, I've a better idea of what kind of adjustments I will need to do...

[Edit 16/05/2017 - 20:30 GMT+2] Finally, all this work is history about this tower... One of my cats was not satisfied with this work... So I will need to redo it !

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:39 pm 

Great to see some progress on an old build again. It's those modifications to the kit that bothered me too much on the Udaloy. In the end I wasn't even thinking about the kit provided parts anymore and was just looking at how to build the complete superstructure blocks from scratch. That's when I realised I better built a ship from scratch, at least I'd be correcting my own mistakes rather than a manufacturer's.

Anyway, you're doing a good job at this one. Great progress so far!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:03 am 

Well, to be honest, it is not so boring to have to re do some parts of that kit, most probably because I'm able to do it easily. I've no time and room to do a complete scratch and my workshop's place is limited in my flat, so doing a hull for exemple is nearly impossible (and I do not speak about toxic components and livng cats). That is why I focused on modifications I'm able to do.

Concerning wrong parts, especially those in PE material, I haven't really look at them right now. Except AK-130 turret who are not 100% accurate, I only redo basement who clearly was wrong but do compromizes for turret body. The overall shape is fine, and many tiny details who are not accurate do not shock my eyes.

I get back to work on the top on bloc n°2. After, my cat undo the previous tower, I change my method of building. Third times is always best than the first one after all ;)
However, I also finished the body of tower mast with rounded edges. I also prepare the next detailling set on that location.

Except the work of the tower left to do, I will soon need to finish to install all details inside the command deck to allow me to glue the roof and rouded shaped the edge. But for that I will need to do some paint work with Aero and ... Well... I'm not hurry to do it ;)

All those details will be totally realized from scratch, the kit do not provide those details, but hopefully I found some datas and measurements about them !

Soviet's shipbuilders are very pragmatic. Why doing something different if these have same functionality from one class to another one ? That is why there is some settings who are strictly identical for each ship on same generation. Those settings are also set on Aircraft carrier Admral Kuznetzov and I found some cool elevations with scale ! The easy part is to adjust scale to 1/100° from those sketches !

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:34 pm 

I'm still on bloc n°2 and I decided today to continue to add / enhanced / finish a lot of things.

Working on that bloody tower is a like pain in ass. So I also work on some detail like technical cabinet.

The result is not so bad at this stage. I will need to do some putty party to get final shape, but I'm far to have finished that tower and I didn't really start the true nightmare on it !

I also realized that I will need some power supply for lights on the mast so I could put a line before I put in place the last element of the side of the tower.

That is all for today ;)

Report this post