The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:34 pm 

Good day gentleman!

Some of you may remember my USS Arcadia AD-23 build from last year: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=69621 and in the intervening year I built the USS Wasp LHD-1 for my Son-In-Law for his birthday. I am just finishing it up and may post a thread in the other forum. After finishing the Arcadia, I had to 'force' myself back to kits. I had gotten pretty used to fabricating all of the parts I needed, but I had been itching to build the Wasp because of the well deck and the landing craft and tanks and planes, and it made for an interesting subject.

BUT, when I was in the midst of the Arcadia build, I had seen the plans for the America at Floating Drydock, so I had purchased that set. Why the America? Well I had served on her in '81 and made the world cruise on her. I was an AT-3 with VS-33 and I worked on the flight & hanger decks. I also loved the size that my Uncle's ship came out to and the plans for the America were just as impressive. The hull, at the waterline measures about 62" long and I think about 70" overall. It will be about 2' wide including the antenna's.

It will be fully lit like my Wasp was. I am planning on making one or all of the elevators work, though I don't know exactly how just yet. It will have a full Airwing as depicted as when I was aboard. "How is he going to do the aircraft" I bet you all are asking? Weeelllll my tentative plans are to buy a good quality 3D printer and 'print' them. I am thinking of building one of each A/C type in say 1/48 scale, and then use a 3D Laser scanner to scan them in along with tow bars, tractors, NC-4's, Puffers, Tilly, Phalanx, Sea Sparrow box launchers, boats, everything. I'll build it in large scale, then scan it in and clean up the design, then print it out to scale in 1/192. I will not need that for another year or so while I build up the hull, so, using Moore's law, the Tech should roughly double and the price come down by half by the time I am ready for it. My Uncle has a friend with the 3D scanner, so I won't have to buy that, only the printer. The hanger bay will be fully lit, and I am planning on installing two or three micro cameras mounted at various spots so you will be able to see all of the details. I was also thinking maybe a cutaway, or removable section to show the "03" level with some berthing and ready rooms and maybe the arrester engines? IDK? Ideas gentlemen?

Before any of that gets done, I need a hull! With the Arcadia I did not have regular hull stations, I only had 7 spaced irregularly, so I had to use a solid block of wood and lay out the deck and profile views on it and carve it down from there. The America plans have the hull stations, 46 or so with 40 being the hull sections at the waterline, so I have a much better starting point with this hull. The broad strokes are as follows: I ordered .040" styrene plastic from a local shop in roughly 28"x24" sheets. That gives me enough material that I can make the hanger deck out of two pieces, one for each bay, and also for the hull sections, or 'Frames". In the Navy, every ship space (or compartment or 'room') is numbered by frames. One frame every four feet, so if you are at frame 100, you are 400 feet from the bow of the ship, no matter what ship you are on. The main deck is number one (1) and every deck below it is 2, 3, 4 etc to the bottom of the hull, and every deck above it is: 01, 02, 03 etc. The '03 level' is the deck directly under the flight deck. The deck (or floor to you civies) is the overhead (or ceiling) of the hanger bay.

Some of the frames will need one side clipped at the hanger deck level to allow for the elevator openings. I have indexes drawn on the frames so that I can use 1/4" by 1/4" square or 1/4" round stock at stringers like on real hulls. I will use 3/4" by 1/4" by 24" long styrene stock for the keel. I am having a machinist friend of mine make me a cutting jig because the frames are spaces an odd amount apart.

Here is one of my reference books:

Here are the plans laid out on my dining room floor:

That is a six foot by one foot shelf for size reference! That will be the building board. I will drill holes in it for mounting while I am building her and will use the perfectly flat face for buildng the keel and frames.

Profile view:

Each little 'tick' mark is a quarter inch on the plan and is four feet to scale.

The '03' level:

The '03' level is critical to a good build I feel. Also the sponsons need to built and blended properly.

The Hanger Bay on top and deck 2 below:

Here is the fore sectionals:

Here is the bow section done with .030" styrene. It is too thin and I will redo in .040 to match the ones already done.

More '03' details:

Elevators no. 1 & 2 details:

The Flight Deck:

One other critical reference book I have is my cruise book. It shows all of the squadrons and their markings, and lots of pictures of the ship itself. Invaluable!

The Airwing (CVW-11) will have all of the A/C that we had aboard on the '81 cruise:

Two F-14 squadrons of 10 A/C each:
VF-114 - "The Aardvarks" (MODEX: 100-114)
VF-213 - "The Black Lions" (MODEX: 200-214)

Two A-7E Corsair II Squadrons of 10 A/C each:
VA-192 - "The Golden Dragons" (MODEX: 300-312)
VA-195 - "The Dambusters" (MODEX: 400-412)

One squadron of A-6E Intruders of 15 A/C: (10 in bomber configuration and 5 in tanker Config.)
VA-95 - "The Green Lizards" (MODEX: 500-517)

One detachment of E-2C's of 4 A/C:
VAW-123 - "The Screwtops" (MODEX: 600, 601, 602, 603

One detachment of EA-6B's of 5 A/C:
VAQ-133 - "The Wizards" (MODEX: 604, 605, 606, 607, 625)

One Detachment of SH-3's Sea Kings of 6 A/C
HS-12 - "The Wyverns" (MODEX: 612, 613, 614, 615, 616, 617)

One Squadron of S-3A Vikings of 10 A/C
VS-33 - :The Screwbirds" (MODEX: 700-711) (I may have a bird "712", but I do not recall us having this bird on board for that cruise.)

One Det of EA-3B's "Whales" of two A/C
VQ-2 DET. A "The Batmen" (MODEX: 14 & 17)

One Det of C-2A Greyhounds of two A/C
VR-24 - "The Lifting Eagles" (MODEX: 324, 325)

So, let's total that up:

20 F-14A Tomcats
20 A-7E Corsairs
10 A-6E TRAM Intruders
5 KA-6D Tanker Intruders
4 Hawkeyes
5 Prowlers
6 Sea Kings
10 Vikings
2 EA-3B Skywarrior "Whales"
2 C-2 Greyhound COD (Even though we moved more mail than they did!)
1 S-2 Tracker COD
1 CH-53D Navy version
1 CH-46 for a possible VERTREP scene I am planning.
1 TU-95MS Bear Bomber (They overflew us everyday and I have a really good pic in my cruisebook)
1 IL-38 May ASW Maritime Patrol plane (Their copy of our P-3C)

I count 89 birds. It will be a full deck and overhead!

So that's where I am at now. Comments? Suggestions?

Michael Clare

On the Ways:
Scratch-building: 1/192 USS America CV-66

Finished:
Scratch-built: 1/192 USS Arcadia AD-23
Kits: 1/350 Adm. Kuznetsov & USS Wasp LHD-1

Last edited by mclare on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:54 pm 

DavidP wrote:
can get .040" styrene sheet in 4'x8' for about $20Can as i did that about 4yrs ago then cut it into 12"x12" squares.

Yeah, this was only about $6 bucks a sheet and I like working in it.

What did you build?

Michael Clare

On the Ways:

Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 am 

Hi Maclare good to see another big vessel here.
i will watch your thread.
i like the early stage :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:13 pm 

Capitão Norbert wrote:

Thanks Norbert!

It's mclare as in: Michael Clare, not Mac lare. I get that a lot over on my Mercedes board.

Michael Clare

On the Ways:

Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:33 am 

mclare wrote:
Capitão Norbert wrote:

Thanks Norbert!

It's mclare as in: Michael Clare, not Mac lare. I get that a lot over on my Mercedes board.

sorry about the name
:bash_2:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:38 pm 

good start to a complex project--will be watching!

Jim Baumann :wave_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:12 pm 

Beautiful Project. Where have you found this plans. The level of detail is amazing.

USS Nimitz 1/200
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=153310

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:37 pm 

Great to see a new project. It might take a while to finish, but you're off to a good start. Considering your last ship, I 'm looking very much forward to see this come together :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:30 pm 
Thanks guys! High praise indeed....

Today I cut out the hanger bay decks and the aircraft elevators and JBD's. All 46 of the frames are cut out.

I wil post pics up in the AM.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:52 pm 

Capitão Norbert wrote:
sorry about the name
:bash_2:

No problem at all Norbert, it happens all the time over on BenzWorld.

Michael Clare

On the Ways:

Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:53 pm 

Jaguar wrote:
Beautiful Project. Where have you found this plans. The level of detail is amazing.

Thank You Jaguar! High praise form you indeed. I read your USS Nimitz thread with awe and amazement at how you accomplished so many area's like the airplanes! Works of art! I do not know if I can do work of that quality, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

I got my plans from: http://www.floatingdrydock.com/G.htm and they are a couple of versions for the Nimitz as well, but you are probably too far along to make it worth while?

Here are the latest pics:

This one shows what I have cut out so far with a 48" ruler for some scale:

Hanger Bay #1, the fwd hanger with the two forward elevators and JBD #1:

The after hanger bay:

The forward hull sections:

And the aft sections:

The after hanger bay closeup:

All of these parts were cut from sheets of .040" styrene stock.

Michael Clare

On the Ways:

Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:44 pm 

Neptune wrote:
Great to see a new project. It might take a while to finish, but you're off to a good start. Considering your last ship, I 'm looking very much forward to see this come together :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Thanks for the compliments!

I was over at a friend's machine shop, as he is doing some repairs to a OZ wheel for my Mercedes, and I brought over the plans and asked him if he could make some cutting jigs for me of various sizes. The main one being the main keel notching jig. This will allow a piece of 1/4" by 3/4" by 24" stock to be clamped into a vise and the first cut sawed at the bow at frame "0". Then it will have another .040" slot 1.553" on center. I will then saw that slice and frame "1" will go in that position. Then I will move it down and use a scrap .040" stock to act as a key, then make the cut for frame "2" and so on. He is going to make another set of cuts at 10 degrees incline for the aft keel from frame 32 to 40. It will take three sections to make up the keel and I have a 5' piece of 1/4" steel stock that I glued two sanding belts, one on either side and I use that for sanding wings for R/C or anything where I need a perfectly flat sanding surface. There is a bare section that is perfectly flat and I will use that to ensure the keel it glued true.

Mark was blown away with the plans and the scope and he, being a master machinist, was thinking up things to add that I had only dreamed of, but didn't dare attempt. One idea we have is to make the elevators go up and down. His idea was to use two very thin threaded rods, and have them in the elevator guides on the side of the ship, and have the elevator arm have a tiny nut of the same size, and have the two sides joined by a common geared shaft inside the 03 level and have a micro motor move that. As the screws turn is forces the nuts up or down, and the elevator with it. Also, an idea I had was to have the JBD's and the catapult shuttle work. The shuttle would work in the same manner as the elevator, and the JBD's would only need a micro servo. I was also thinking a bomb elevator or two also working. One on the flight deck and one in the hanger bay. One of my vivid memories was the constant use of the bomb elevators. My berthing quarters had a bomb elevator going right through it and my rack was right next to it, and it was constantly running while I was sleeping.

One interesting note about the blueprints is that it was interesting to see where my shop and berthing was. The plans do not show deck 3, where my berthing was, but it does show the hatch that I went down to get to it and the head we used on deck 2 and the mess decks. It's eerie to see it and have the memories flood back!

I will start making the elevators soon and will make a mockup to test and develop it.

Michael Clare

On the Ways:

Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:51 pm 

Jaguar wrote:

I really wanna pick your brain about how you built your aircraft and the pad-eyes. Did you make or buy the pad-eyes?

Michael Clare

On the Ways:

Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:51 pm 

Your work is also amazing Mclare. I bought the padeyes in the floating dry dock, but they are not really padeyes, they are five arm wheels for naval doors. It is the better solution that i have find for this purpose. Nevertheless, it has been a very tedious work to fix all the padeyes (nearly 3000 in the flight deck).
Now, im currently painting the flight deck.

USS Nimitz 1/200

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:38 pm 

Hi Gents!

Well I have been a busy boy and started raising the hull for my America. Let me tell you want I have done so far:

As I indicated, I had a machinist friend of mine "Mark" machine me an Aluminium block with all of the critical dimensions. Here is a picture of it:

The three slits on each side and for my Zona saws. You can see there is a "shelf" that is 3/4" deep to secuely hold the 3/4" or 1/2" shock for cutting. I make the first saw and then lock that into place with a smaller saw, then make the second cut, then slide it down and lock it in, then cut, and so forth. The block is milled to exactly fit between the ribs and will sit perfectly vertical to align the ribs with the spars. This is how I will ensure that everything is plumb and level. The three cuts on the right are at a 10 degree tilt for the stern cuts where the keel is inclined. The template block also serves a second purpose for marking the paper plans with the exact spacing, and this turned out quite well.

Here you can see that I marked the profile center line plan and laid out the ribs on top of the marks:

Here is the stern part of the keel and why I needed the 10 deg slant.

So here I have cut the three segments for the keel and I have slotted them with the gauge block and I am doing a test level:

Now I had to transfer the frame marks on the other drawings for alignment and measuring purposes (the cutouts for the hanger bay namely):

And on to the Hanger bay decks that I had previously cut out last month:

Now I have begun to cut out and slot the ribs to see if I am truly mad, or if this may work:

This will be two pairs of vertical braces that will join the keel sections. They will be perfectly vertical and bonded completely and the stringer tubing will be anchored to it to ensure that the side tubes do not move and when I glue them to the ribs, that should ensure that the hull remains plumb, straight and true. I hope?

A bunch of different angles there.

Well this weekend I will continue on with the rest of the ribs. Everything is loose right now and of course it's way too early to cement anything. I still have to cut notches for the outboard stringers and the bottom half ones too. The "squares" and you see darkened. They will probably be 1/4" round stock as it's much easier to drill a hole then carve that out. I also need to drill out holes to run wires and such, so I will have to plan that out. I think that most of it will route through the "03" level which will be mostly void.

As you can see, it takes up my whole kitchen bar counter! Once I get everything notched and ready to glue up, then I will mark up and mount the keel to a 6' x 1' melamine shelf that I got from Lowes. The keel will get mounted with a straight-edge and locked into position with side blocks so that it does not shift.

Michael Clare

On the Ways:

Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:10 am 

That is quite some colossal undertaking-- very impressive and methodical!

I am impressed!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Jim Baumann

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:38 am 

Wow, i was waiting for a long time for updates in this ship.
I am very happy to see that she is growing. Impressive work.

Jorge

USS Nimitz 1/200

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:41 pm 

Well I had some really good progress over the weekend! I cut out the spaces for the hanger bay in the bulkheads and I also got all of the notches cut and the round and square longitudinal stringer holes in the bulkheads done, now I just have to locate and notches the outboard hull stringers next. So basically the hull is laid out and I can see the impressive size of her!

I was asked by some model building friends how I work and cut the styrene, and for those of you who have never worked with it, I said before I do it like glass cutters: Score a line and then bend it.

Here are some pics:

You can see here where I marks the deck edges:

Then I strike a line:

Then score all two or three lines:

Then I fold GENTLY (Sorry for the blurry pic!):

Then fold the other way and it will separate:

Other side:

Then deck level:

Then use a paper punch to cut the guide tube holes:

Finished: (I know that I punched next to the holes. I mis-counted both the top and bottom guides and reversed them! My dyslexia!)

Next, I take sharp scissors and cut the notches out for the keel and top spines:

I then score across and then fold it off easily.

Next I place it and you can see it is the very forward frame:

At that point you can see how much was left:

Those round holes are for 1/4" round styrene tubing that will get glued to the keel to anchor it and then to each bulkhead frame to anchor them in place.

And with the hanger bay deck removed:

Closeup:

That top 1/4" square rod will be replaced with either a 1/2" tall one with slits in it or I may go to 3/4" like on the bottom keel. Thoughts?

Continuing on:

Doing the bow frames here:

Okay here is the 1/2" x 1/4" top spar cut and in place: (That cutting block I had made REALLY comes in handy!

Now down in place:

Now I cut out the square holes for the mid guide rod:

And I did likewise for the main hull:

Next I added two round rods for the bow section:

This is where there will be two 'risers' that will be made out of 3/4" rod stock and they will cement to the keel perfectly vertical and square and then will cement to the top spar and the side spars to lock everything together and keep the hull straight.

Here is a section of 1/2" rod like I used on the bow section, and I am trying to gauge whether or not to use 1/2" under the hanger bay or go with the 3/4".

The two round rods from the bow section will lock into the 03 level somewhere there but won't go as far back as they are now.

That's currently where I'm at gents!

Thanks for the kind words Jim and Jorge! I really appreciate it!

Jorge, I'm sending you a PM!

Michael Clare

On the Ways:

Finished:

Last edited by mclare on Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:18 pm 

Hi Michael.

You are working so fast :cool_1: :thumbs_up_1: .

Your carrier is taking shape, and this shape is so beautiful.

I have just answered your PM :big_grin: .

Waiting for new updates.

Jorge

USS Nimitz 1/200

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:24 am 

Interesting project, I'll be following this one!

Greetings Josse

Making a complete new Well Enhancer, again scale 1:75.

Report this post