The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:56 pm 

Thanks Bob,

The gratings are for cooling of the engines. She's not strictly an azimuth thruster tug, more of a Z-drive. In azimuth thruster, the power is delivered by an electro motor which is just before the propellor, underwater, outside the hull. In the Z-drive, the power is delivered by diesel engines through a shaft and a coupling and some gears. In any case, both of the types have diesel engines to provide either direct power to the shaft, or electricity to the electro motors.
On most, if not all, merchant ships there are two gratings, some on the bottom, called the lower seachest, and some on the side, called upper seachest. The lower one is normally in use, to be sure it's always submerged and has often colder water as well. When in shallow water/port it's better to shift to upper, to avoid sucking in mud and other stuff. They can also be closed one by one to clean the strainers on each.

Finally the latest pics. Bridge and strairs are dry fitted for now. Paint job needs some fine tuning and final colors to be added to the funnels. In addition I need to paint the lifebuoys and add them to the superstructure.

Edit: some pics were lost here.

This is the start of the azipods. I've already turned the tunnels, the pod shape is there, just need to fill it with milliput and turn to shape. I'm turning the prop boss in one piece with the pods since they don't need to rotate.

Edit: Looks like unfortunately this pic got lost

Two fire boxes are in progress right now. Then I'll continue with the bridge.

Last edited by Neptune on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:19 pm 

Last edited by carr on Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:51 pm 

I almost forgot, but yes that helo control of the Udaloy was very similar.

Haven't posted for a while, but that's courtesy of Windows 10 "upgrade". Didn't get access to the internet due to that stupid forced upgrade. After a lot of troubleshooting I finally fixed it.
The bad news is that I've more or less decided to stop building. Life just gets in the way and the ships under construction are too annoying for me. They're always in my conscience, but I simply can't find the time to make any progress. So decided to fast track and finish this tugboat and then quit modelling.

Here is a more or less general shot of what I've been up to. The azipods you can see in the background. I've turned the main pods on the lathe using the frame from styrene as previously shown, then filled with milliput and turned.
Afterwards I've drilled a hole on the top and bottom attach the holding and turning mechanism.
Attachment:
U38.jpg
U38.jpg [ 370.67 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

The bridge has now been completely closed and attachments for the lifebuoys have been added. She was then sprayed with primer and afterwards with white.
I had some trouble with the windows though. The white wood glue I used wasn't holding too well. Therefore I decided to leave off the masking tape and just spray them completely. First of course I made a test shot to see if I could scrape off the primer and it worked. In the second picture below you can see than I can gently cut along the window lines and then peel off the primer and subsequent coats with the tip of my knife. Quite a handy trick. Of course it was a gamble, but well worth the try I guess.
Attachment:
U36.jpg
U36.jpg [ 346.85 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Furthermore the main mast and the radar have been built (not finished yet) and the lifebuoys are all painted and ready to be put in place.

Last edited by Neptune on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:24 am 

Hi Roel my friend it's nice building model ship tug from scratch.
i will watching. :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:15 am 

Hi Neptune,
I'm enjoying your work, thanks for sharing. You're doing a great job and the details really make it look good. (Very interesting about the sea chests too)
Regards,
Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:33 am 

Thanks for the comments guys.

Hit a small snag recently. Found out the bright orange paint that I was going to use for the roof of the bridge doesn't cover very well. Combined with the dark primer below it, it didn't look very nice, partially because I tried to apply it by hand. Currently I've removed most of it and I'll be airbrushing it next time in a billion layers. Hope that'll fix it.

Attachment:
U37.jpg
U37.jpg [ 157.89 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Attachment:
U39.jpg
U39.jpg [ 154.31 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

The propellors are now inserted into the pods. Looking at now, I guess it would have been better to make them seperately rather than turning the hub into the pod on the lathe like I did here.
Inserting the blades (litho) into the hubs wasn't really a problem, but to make them fit inside the tunnels, while keeping the same shape and size was a totally different story. Now they are covered in primer and ready for painting.

Attachment:
U40.jpg
U40.jpg [ 179.79 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Attachment:
U41.jpg
U41.jpg [ 140.83 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Last edited by Neptune on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:50 am 

Last edited by carr on Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:09 am 

Hi Bob,

thanks for the advice. I opted for a darker primer, much like I did before, but this time I sprayed the orange on top. It had the effect I aimed for. The orange, when used straight, is very fluorescent and bright. I didn't really want that, so that's why I wanted the darker primer. This did work, however at first I was brushing the orange, and the pigment collected around the edges, with the flat parts not being coloured at all. With airbrushing however, the pigment stays much better spread around and you can see the effect below. It's not as bright as I wanted it, but it'll do. Another experience richer!

Furthermore I've been busy with a lot of details. The small foldable crane that sits on top of the aft towing fitting. The gratings on the aft of the superstructure (more to come there, they're connected by stairs.
Attachment:
U42.jpg
U42.jpg [ 128.25 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

And I've been turning the navigation lights from transparent sprue from kits. Used the sprue of the Tamiya Shimokita kit since it has a slightly larger diameter than Trumpeter's aircraft from Kuznetsov. They came out nice.
Attachment:
U43.jpg
U43.jpg [ 114.57 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

The top details of the bridge also received some coats, I'll add a drop or two more yellow for the final coat. Once installed I can add the lights.
Attachment:
U44.jpg
U44.jpg [ 198.4 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Attachment:
U45.jpg
U45.jpg [ 219.52 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Still a lot of stuff dry fitted in below pics, so don't worry if you see something in a strange position. The funnels aren't lined up yet, since I first need to finish the bridge.

Edit: as you can see, the liferafts are also finished, just need to make the cradles now.

Last edited by Neptune on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:35 am 

Nearing the end of the build. Added various platforms and some supports aft.
Also did the navigation lights on the mast and other details like searchlights on the top. Only thing remaining there is the railing.
I also fixed the funnels in position, busy drilling small holes to make the connection between the wheelhouse (still dry fitted), and the funnels.
Attachment:
U46.jpg
U46.jpg [ 218.94 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

I also made the rescue boat, but I'm busy with the canvas on top of it (the transparent plastic you see wrapped around it for now). Glued it in place with white glue, but I'm not sure if the paint will catch on that. We'll find out soon enough.
The biggest part remaining is the railing around the superstructure and wheelhouse.
Attachment:
U47.jpg
U47.jpg [ 186.88 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Last edited by Neptune on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:02 am 

Small holiday update.

I had part of the blue on the funnels painted, but it was way too dark, so I softened it by now. Furthermore I've made the stairs for the aft part of the superstructure and started with the railing. I don't have any CA glue anymore, so that'll have to wait for later. Just preparing and bending the railing while I'm in the mood ;)
I had a problem at first, since it's 4 bar railing and that's not really available in this scale. At first I was planning to put 3 bar railing instead, probably nobody would notice. On the other hand I could have also drilled everything myself, but that would have taken a long time and probably I'd never get to finish it.
So I chose a path in between. I bought a lot of 3 bar railing from Dean's Marine for the Chaconia tanker, yet I knew there was some 2 bar stanchions in those sprues as well. So I came to a rather easy conclusion, I could just adapt the 2 bar stanchions. Drill some extra holes and straighten it out.

I also had to remake the zodiac supports since the boat was too close to the accomodation. Basically I remade the supports and made them slightly longer. These things do take some time, but in the end it's well worth it.

Attachment:
U48.jpg
U48.jpg [ 271.93 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
U49.jpg
U49.jpg [ 335.04 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Last edited by Neptune on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:51 pm 

Wow nice model you doing Roel.
I like the Paint job too. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:07 am 

It's been an age and I haven't been home much, but finally an update. I now have a policy of 1 piece per day. So practically I'm putting one part of detailing each day on this tug and like this I do make some steady progress. Up till now my concentration has been on the railings on the superstructure and some small detailing on the aft bulkhead. Occasionally I can do more in 1 day. :heh:
I'm sort of hoping to be able to continue the Chaconia build much in the same way to at least get it finished some day.

Attachment:
U50.jpg
U50.jpg [ 214.22 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
U51.jpg
U51.jpg [ 284.55 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
U52.jpg
U52.jpg [ 339.54 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
U53.jpg
U53.jpg [ 263.09 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
U54.jpg
U54.jpg [ 257.28 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Last edited by Neptune on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:15 pm 

Wow. Very Very Well done. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:18 am 

Thanks Norberto,

A new update. I've done a lot more now since it's too hot to do anything else.
Unfortunately, due to the heat and probably direct sun on the starboard side of the hull, the hull has cracked due to the expansion coefficients between the styrene and the car body filler (that's at least my conclusion for now).
Attachment:
U61.jpg
U61.jpg [ 193.69 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
U62.jpg
U62.jpg [ 193.03 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Not much I can do about that for now. I guess I'll just camo paint it and keep it out of the sun light.

On the superstructure side however, I did a lot of small detailing. Finally finished the railing on the monkey bridge and added some small hatches and cleats to the bridge structure. It's also glued in place now, with the funnels and their supports in place as well. These connections do need some paint work of course.

I cannot make my own PE, so decided to bend the liferaft supports out of brass wire. Most if it is just one piece of wire and then the horizontal connections are seperate pieces of wire.
Attachment:
U63.jpg
U63.jpg [ 263.09 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
U64.jpg
U64.jpg [ 319.27 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

And a small overview.
Attachment:
U66.jpg
U66.jpg [ 238.72 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
U65.jpg
U65.jpg [ 207.75 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

That's about it for now. I think next update might be the final one. Remaining are the addition of one stair and railing to main deck, addition of two lifebouys on the railings aft, addition of some small vent box on the portside funnel and some protection around the manhole on aft main deck. Last but not least, painting of the name on the bow sides.
:woo_hoo:

Attachments:
U60.jpg
U60.jpg [ 339.54 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Last edited by Neptune on Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:52 am 

So here it is. Finally done.
Attachment:
Union1.jpg
Union1.jpg [ 189.49 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
Union 3.jpg
Union 3.jpg [ 238.33 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
Union 4.jpg
Union 4.jpg [ 238.77 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
Union 5.jpg
Union 5.jpg [ 199.52 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
Union 6.jpg
Union 6.jpg [ 234.21 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
Union 7.jpg
Union 7.jpg [ 211.39 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
Union 8.jpg
Union 8.jpg [ 224.12 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
Union 9.jpg
Union 9.jpg [ 184.83 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

The thread can be moved to completed models I guess. (that's a first for me in so many years :cool_2: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: )

Last edited by Neptune on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:21 pm 

Last edited by carr on Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:37 pm 

As is the norm for off-site picture hosting, all of the pictures in this thread have disappeared. I haven't checked your other threads to see if their photos are gone too.

It is so much better when the pictures are posted directly to the Forum.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:42 am 

Actually for me, it's about the first time in 15 years or so, that this happens. 1 time in the past it did block the pics due to many views and over the traffic bandwith limit. I'll see what's the problem. The site is limiting the size of pics no? In any case I've sent the final pics to Timothy for posting on the gallery.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:11 pm 

Finally found some time to upload the pics here and replace the broken photobucket links. Will continue when time allows. This build can also be transferred to finished builds since the final result is already posted on the main site. :woo_hoo:

Report this post