The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:10 pm 

There are no drawings online, that I know of. I have used available internet photos and the one profile I found, as reference. The profile seems to be in the ball park, but the sail looks a bit small to me. I will eventually attempt to cast the hull in resin. Any critiques and advice welcome :submarine:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:24 am 

Great to see such a project, can't really rememeber seeing something similar here.
I've attempted something similar for a Victor class SSN, but never quite finished that project. One advice that I can give you from that experience is that you have to brace those frames well. Depending on what you will use to fill up the voids. I filled the voids with insulation foam (the hard board type) and then put a layer of milliput over that.
The negative effect however was only discovered later on. When sanding the frames started moving back and forth, since the foam didn't seem to give enough support. The milliput layer started cracking along the frame lines. Those frames don't have much to hold on to and being plastic they are slightly flexible. I guess you could do this, but be sure to brace those frames firmly put some straight angled pieces against them or put a horizontal piece of frame between them, would be a shame to see the cracking on your interesting and rare project!

Keep it coming, looking forward to this one :heh: :woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:07 pm 

Attachment:
IMAG0913a.jpg
IMAG0913a.jpg [ 110.94 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]
Hi Subnut,

I really want to encourage you, this is a good way to go. I made two Dutch subs in a very similar way. The only addition I have is that I used a piece of suitable plastic tube for the center section, to make sure I had the diameter exactly right. But the front and back curved parts I did exactly as you, using epoxy filler to get the shape right.

Another note: I made the conning tower (sail) and all rudders separate, as not to complicate the casting. Both 1/350 subs are now avaialable as kits.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:13 am 

SUBNUT wrote:
There are no drawings online, that I know of. I have used available internet photos and the one profile I found, as reference. The profile seems to be in the ball park, but the sail looks a bit small to me. I will eventually attempt to cast the hull in resin. Any critiques and advice welcome :submarine:

We never heard anything from SUBNUT, but his plea for a HMS Conqueror model in 1:350 has been heard (seven years later)
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mikromir-350-044-hms-conqueror--1409702

Report this post