The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:21 pm 

So this is my first. My first major scratch build; first ship; first time posting about my model building. I am hoping that documenting the process will help keep me honest and accountable. Working on a project that requires documentation and responding to the members of this board is my way of achieving this.
So I have 3 ships that I considered for my first build. They are: HMCS Haida, HMCS Kingston and CCGS Henry Larsen. Haida will be tough build as the plans need major work and the amount of detail I will want to add will require a crazy amounts of work. The advantage is the ship is docked an hour away from me and I can take pictures whenever I want. CCGS Henry Larsen has the advantage of good plans however I have only the photos scoured from the internet for reference which is a big disadvantage. HMCS Kingston seemed liked the perfect start into boat building as the hull and various structures are relatively simple. I have excellent plans and the ship docked in front of my office last month as part of a tall ships event. I was able to take tons of photos. I had set my mind to make this my maiden ship. The only thing holding me back is that I don't have any sheer or line plans. So while I try to find these I have gone back to Larsen.
To keep me on track I have decided to show the ship in the October 2017's Ajax Scale model contest. With 15 months until the show, I need to stay focused if I want show anything at all.
I was also tossing up between 1/72 and 1/48 scales for the ship. While 1/48 would be great, it would put the ship at just over 6' in length and for a first go, I think 1/72 is more manageable and allow me learn a lot. The other advantage with 1/72 is that I can utilize a kit for the BO 105 helicopter that is used on the ship.
I am excited about this and can't wait to lay the keel.

Gord

On the Drawing Board:
HMCS Kingston
HMCS Magnificent
HMCS Haida

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:54 am 

I would suggest 1/72 or 1/96. If you look around the net it seems most plans are 1/96 sc. It is not too difficult to have plans enlarged to 1/72 and there are fittings available like Scale Warship. I have found making everything from scratch is tedious .... The 3d printing stuff is very well done.
Good luck

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:14 pm 

Thanks Jcray. Yes 1/72 is where I am going with this ship. I am lucky in that I have CAD software and so I can trace scanned plans and generate vector plans in any scale I want. If the plans are more current I usually just need to clean them up and scale as needed. The fittings from Scale Warship will be a big help as well. Thanks for your comments.

Gord

On the Drawing Board:
HMCS Kingston
HMCS Magnificent
HMCS Haida

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:57 pm 

Enjoy! Nothing is more rewarding than building from scratch if you have time on your side.
Have Fun.
John

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:38 am 

So a bit of background on CCGS Larsen. She is a Medium sized Icebreaker that typically operates in the north east coast of Canada. She is just shy of 100m (328') in length and has a 19.6m (64') beam. A MBB Bo 105 helicopter is on board for surveying ice as well as the odd rescue. There is a short documentary about the ship https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5x3zuACHFY which is interesting to watch.
At 1/72 scale, my ship will be about 54" long and a beam of 10 1/2". I will be building a static version which will simplify some of the construction. To keep me on track I put together a rough schedule which will likely be blown at some point but it all starts with a plan.
August 2016 - Complete Drafting. Cut hull parts
September - October - Hull Assembly
October - December - Skinning the hull and main deck
January - March - Complete Upper Deck fit out
April - May - Complete Flight Deck, Forecastle and majority of superstructure
June - July - Final fit out, BO 105 construction, life boats etc.
August - Final Paint and Rigging
September :smallsmile:

At least that is the plan.

Attachments:
Larsen 1.jpg
Larsen 1.jpg [ 157 KiB | Viewed 3506 times ]
Larsen 2.jpg
Larsen 2.jpg [ 39.29 KiB | Viewed 3506 times ]
Larsen 3.jpg
Larsen 3.jpg [ 44.33 KiB | Viewed 3506 times ]

On the Drawing Board:
HMCS Kingston
HMCS Magnificent
HMCS Haida

Last edited by gmctaggart on Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:55 am 

Hi Gord
be welcome aboard :smallsmile: :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Last edited by Capitão Norbert on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:02 am 

Welcome aboard, Gord! Nice subject! I love these icebreakers very much. I will be looking forward to the keel-laying pics! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:33 pm 

Thanks Aop Aur and Capitão for the welcome.
So I have wrapped up the drafting for the hull parts. Hopefully everything will line up. I am thinking of using 3/4" x 4" hardwood keel. This is overkill but I'm trying to figure out the line between too much and not enough strength. Especially since my later models will be closer to 6' - 7' in length. For the frames, I was going to use 3/16 plywood spaced at just over 1" apart. I am thinking of leveraging my contacts in my work world to get the frames laser cut. No need to be a hero cutting and sanding each of these by hand but then again I may just do it myself after all. Still debating. The bow and stern will have blocks of balsa so I can sand that to the right shape at the leading edge. Not sure if this is the right wood for that so I am looking to others for suggestions. I have set the frames about 1/8" in from the actual shape so I can skin it with a couple layers of balsa strip. then I will add thin plastic sheets for hull plating and detailing. Cutting starts in the next few weeks.

Gord

Attachments:
Larsen 4.jpg
Larsen 4.jpg [ 85.04 KiB | Viewed 3417 times ]

On the Drawing Board:
HMCS Kingston
HMCS Magnificent
HMCS Haida
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:37 pm 

Things are moving forward. Over the last few weeks I was able to secure a manufacture I work with sometimes, to cut the ships frames for me. I am expecting these will be done this week and wait with anticipation. During this time I sourced some maple to use for the keel. I choose maple for the symbolic association with a Canadian ice breaker and because it would hold a good straight line. I notched the keel to accept the frames and that went fairly well. However, I had choose to use 3 pieces to form the keel which may have not been the best idea. In the future I will use a single larger piece to avoid the issues of alignment of the parts. The only advantage I had was in cutting the slots perpendicular and square to the base using a table saw. These were assembled and 1" sq balsa block was added to bow so that it can be shaped later. This now sits on the base waiting the frames.

Thanks all.

Gord

Attachments:
File comment: Maple keel parts.
Larsen 5.jpg
Larsen 5.jpg [ 38.34 KiB | Viewed 3298 times ]
Larsen 6.jpg
Larsen 6.jpg [ 42.2 KiB | Viewed 3298 times ]
File comment: Keel assembled with balsa bow
Larsen 7.jpg
Larsen 7.jpg [ 65.41 KiB | Viewed 3298 times ]

On the Drawing Board:
HMCS Kingston
HMCS Magnificent
HMCS Haida
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:45 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

:big_grin:

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:29 pm 

So things are bit slow as I wait for the hull frames to be cut. I am hoping to have these this week. A part of me thinks I should have just done these myself but I'd like to make sure the basis of this build starts on the right foot. I did receive the BO-105 kit yesterday so that has allowed me to still work on the project. There is definitely not a lot of detail in the kit and it is covered with sink marks and flash. I will have to do a bit scratch building and modifications to get this close to looking like the real thing. Thats it for now.

Thanks for reading
Gord

Attachments:
Larsen 10.jpg
Larsen 10.jpg [ 105.35 KiB | Viewed 3065 times ]
Larsen 8.jpg
Larsen 8.jpg [ 71.94 KiB | Viewed 3065 times ]
Larsen 9.jpg
Larsen 9.jpg [ 138.55 KiB | Viewed 3065 times ]

On the Drawing Board:
HMCS Kingston
HMCS Magnificent
HMCS Haida

Last edited by gmctaggart on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:46 pm 

Fully realizing that this is a scratch building Ship site, I hope everyone will humour me on my initial work on the cockpit of the B0-105. The kits parts are rudimentary and the scale is off requiring a bit of modification to get it closer to reality.

More to come.
Gord

Attachments:
Larsen 13.jpg
Larsen 13.jpg [ 84.07 KiB | Viewed 3041 times ]
File comment: The one on the left is the modified version with the right being directly from the kit.
Larsen 14.jpg
Larsen 14.jpg [ 78.09 KiB | Viewed 3041 times ]
Larsen 12.jpg
Larsen 12.jpg [ 67.95 KiB | Viewed 3041 times ]
File comment: Initial work.
Larsen 15.jpg
Larsen 15.jpg [ 70.16 KiB | Viewed 3041 times ]

On the Drawing Board:
HMCS Kingston
HMCS Magnificent
HMCS Haida
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:12 am 

Welcome to the board. There's all kinds of modellers over here and I'm pretty sure everyone loves every piece of modelling, be it a helicopter, tank or ship.
Great work on the helo, it keeps you moving, while other parts of your build are stalled. I always loved icebreakers and have a whole collection of pics and plans on several icebreakers. I just never started one :heh:
I'll be following your build for sure, keep it coming :woo_hoo: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:37 pm 

Thanks Neptune. Just started going through your Chaconia LPG carrier build. Great work on her; learned a lot already through your project as well as the numerous others posted on this site. Unfortunately I don't have any progress to report on the ship. Still waiting on the frames to be cut. In the meantime I was able to finish building a new spray booth and a little bit of work on helicopter. Work has been heavy the last few months so any progress on the model is good. Anxiously awaiting to do some real work on the ship.

Gord

Attachments:
File comment: Work on the second seat. Nothing like a prime coat and some macro photos to highlight the flaws in the work. Also started looking at the seat belt construction.
Larsen 17.jpg
Larsen 17.jpg [ 54.18 KiB | Viewed 2897 times ]
File comment: Most of the work has been on cleaning up the sink marks and flashing while building up the interior.
Larsen 16.jpg
Larsen 16.jpg [ 95.77 KiB | Viewed 2897 times ]

On the Drawing Board:
HMCS Kingston
HMCS Magnificent
HMCS Haida
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:24 pm 

FINALLY. :woo_hoo: . The frames are cut and in my possession. I spent the night cleaning them up. I have bit more work to do as the frames are made from 1/4" plywood however the slots cut in the keel is for 3/16" ply. I will have to take the thickness down a 1/16" so they will slide in like butter. Now everything is on me to get back onto schedule. Below are some intresting shots of the compressed boat frames. Many thanks to Andy for helping me in routing these out.

Thanks for reading.
Gord

Attachments:
Larsen 19.jpg
Larsen 19.jpg [ 108.28 KiB | Viewed 2804 times ]
File comment: Bow Shot
Larsen 18.jpg
Larsen 18.jpg [ 95.82 KiB | Viewed 2804 times ]
File comment: Stern Shot
Larsen 20.jpg
Larsen 20.jpg [ 105.52 KiB | Viewed 2804 times ]

On the Drawing Board:
HMCS Kingston
HMCS Magnificent
HMCS Haida
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:39 am 

I'll be following your build.Nice work on the Chopper,Gord.

Scott

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:06 pm 

Thanks K494. Things have been going smoothly now. The keel has been set up on a board that is square and level. I used 2 dowels on either side of the keel to keep it true while working on the frames. I did not secure the keel to the board opting for the flexibility to flip the ship when it is time to skin it. Using the pressure from the dowel and tension from the tape has kept it fairly stable. Its at this point I started setting in a few of the frames. Some frames required a bit more sanding and cajoling before they sat properly. I have secured only 2 frames and dry fit the remaining while checking alignment and level. I also realize that the separate bow that was attached to the keel has an angle that is too aggressive. Once I set the deck, I will a have to adjust the frames down to align properly with the ships deck. So far so good.

More to come.

Gord

Attachments:
Larsen 21.jpg
Larsen 21.jpg [ 87.79 KiB | Viewed 2758 times ]
Larsen 22.jpg
Larsen 22.jpg [ 98.75 KiB | Viewed 2758 times ]
Larsen 23.jpg
Larsen 23.jpg [ 97.05 KiB | Viewed 2758 times ]

On the Drawing Board:
HMCS Kingston
HMCS Magnificent
HMCS Haida
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:52 pm 

Hi Gord, nice start to an interesting project. Beautiful job on your laser cut frames! this part of your construction should go together smoothly looking at the quality of the frames. well done. Scott

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:17 am 

Looks great! I was recommended by a modeller here in my country to get someone to laser cut the keels for me. I think I should really try that! It is very time-consuming and a bit painful to cut these frames by hand, especially when it is thick!
:thumbs_up_1:
Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:08 am 

Thanks Scott154 and Aop Aur. Having the frames routed out of plywood felt a bit like cheating since I avoided the struggle of cutting these individually. However I knew there will be more than enough struggles in realizing the rest of this miniature vessel. It was handy knowing someone that could help me out in this regard and the frames fit really well with the keel. I made some more progress last night. The frames have been glued down. After finishing this I can across a few minor issues that need to be addressed before continuing. The first is that some frames are sitting a bit too high and so they need to be sanded down the 1mm+ to even it out. Not that big a deal. The bigger issue is that the forecastle frames have a bit of transverse twist with the port side being about 3mm+ too high. I am thinking to sand the top so it is parallel with the deck frames. Then adjust the hull shape by sanding the balsa skin. I have about 3mm of thickness that I can play with. If I were to cut the front off and reattach it with twist corrected, I believe I will be opening myself up for bigger problems. Any thoughts on how to correct this are welcome.

Thanks

Gord

Attachments:
Larsen 24.jpg
Larsen 24.jpg [ 69.63 KiB | Viewed 2706 times ]
Larsen 25.jpg
Larsen 25.jpg [ 73.13 KiB | Viewed 2706 times ]
Larsen 26.jpg
Larsen 26.jpg [ 84.97 KiB | Viewed 2706 times ]
Larsen 27.jpg
Larsen 27.jpg [ 71.47 KiB | Viewed 2706 times ]
Larsen 28.jpg