The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:58 am 

Been wanting to build a ship lately, since I'm a beginner at this, I'm looking to build a ship with relatively few exterior details, and settled on the USS Zumwalt.

With my printer having a 25cm,23cm,40cm print volume, which means I can print the ship to 1/100th scale, by printing the hull in 6 sections and somehow connecting them together (real ship is 24.8m long and 182.9m wide according to Wikipedia)

So here's a rough plan on how to proceed:
Step 1) Buy a 3D model off an exchange, so far my favorite is this one
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d ... lt/1030116

Step 2) Cut the 3D model into ~30cm transverse hull modules plus 2 superstructure modules, and convert to print format.

Step 3) Print and clean up

Step 4) Combine the 3 front modules as the forward hull(92.9cm), combine 3 rear hulls as the aft hull(90cm), combine superstructure modules.
The two hull pieces will be kept separate for easy transportation, two 90cm pieces can fit in my trunk, but 180cm can't.

Step 5) Install some kind of fasteners for connecting forward and aft hulls, install magnets for connecting hull to the superstructure

Step 6) Install electronics into the aft hull, batteries under the aft superstructure, forward hull kept inert for now.

Step 7) Paint, details, and trimming

There are a few things I would like to ask advice on, since I never built a scale boat before :-/

1. For a 180cm boat, is a 3D printed hull(~3mm thick?) strong enough? Should I add a keel?
2. Should I fill the hull interior with some expanding foam for added strength and prevent sinking?
3. Should I print the deck separate from the hull so it could be opened up for maintenance? It take a lot of work modifying the 3d models to slots to fit and connect the deck.
4. Do electric motors need cooling? Since they are going to be enclosed within the hull I am kinda worried, although the ship isn't gonna go fast.
5. Is there something I haven't thought of that could make this project turn out terrible?

My previous scratchbuild project, a boat in the air:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... ing-Saucer

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:40 am 
This might save you some work: http://barracudarcboats.mysimplestore.c ... -destroyer

Report this post