The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:14 am 

You know, World of Warships has introduced HMAS Vampire into the game, as a Tier III premium destroyer in her "as-sunk" configuration, if you're looking for some more general references (albeit in video game format). I have her, so if you're interested in some screenshots, feel free to let me know.

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:40 pm 

Thanks Goodwood for the offer, and yes I eagerly awaited the introduction of the Vampire and bought her as soon as I could - I have gotten some good ideas from the game model, even as I watch her sink all too often. I can see they did really well in representing her as she was sunk, thanks again.
l started on the forward funnel. I was first going to use PVC piping but that was too heavy as I wanted to keep the weight as low as possible. I ended up cutting balsa wood discs, and with four pieces of balsa dowel, made a frame that I wrapped 1mm balsa wood around and then covered with 0.5 mm styrene. It came out better than I thought. The railings are still wonky - I havent properly fitted them yet...
cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_7641[1].JPG
IMG_7641[1].JPG [ 138.27 KiB | Viewed 1799 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:13 pm 

Started painting the hull - Merry Christmas to everyone and God Bless,
Cheers Will

Attachments:
IMG_7858[1].JPG
IMG_7858[1].JPG [ 192.46 KiB | Viewed 1716 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 pm 

Hello again, happy new year.
I am slowly doing more work on the forward superstructure. I have all four main guns and am making the shields up for them. There was a single lewis machine gun on each bridge wing and I got two 3D printed for me. They look great. I will be getting 3D printed davits, carley rafts, twin lewis machine guns in the future. I know I am cheating, but it does save time when you don't have any. You can see the little 1/700 scale Tamiya V and W Class on the deck to give some scale.
Could someone with the knowledge advise me. The wheelhouse and bridge deck had canvas covering the railings. Does anyone know what material would be best suited for a model this size? Many thanks, Will

Attachments:
IMG_8723[1].JPG
IMG_8723[1].JPG [ 116.8 KiB | Viewed 1553 times ]
IMG_8724[1].JPG
IMG_8724[1].JPG [ 137.74 KiB | Viewed 1553 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:12 pm 

englishgunner wrote:
I know I am cheating, but it does save time when you don't have any.

Cheating? Horse-hockey. Shapeways is a valid 21st century modeling source. If we don't support the artists, they don't make the cool/weird/low-density objects that help the hobby.
englishgunner wrote:
The wheelhouse and bridge deck had canvas covering the railings. Does anyone know what material would be best suited for a model this size? Many thanks, Will

Where are you on the lifeboats? I'm thinking if you take Kleenex type tissue and give it a wash of watered-down white glue, then let it dry you can do a proof-of-concept tests where it won't hurt. I dunno, make a tiny all-weather jacket to drape over the back of a chair on the bridge?

1/96 12cm pre-Dreadnaught deck gun
1/124 CS Privateer 'Beauregard'
1/124 CS Blockade Runners Pevensey & Ella Warley
1/192 scale whaler PEQUOD

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:14 pm 

englishgunner wrote:
Two more photos, showing the 3D printed quad vickers with 1/35 scale sailor and the rear superstructure taking shape. I do two minutes here, five minutes there, its amazing what you can do when time is short, cheers Will

:thumbs_up_1:
When you get a chance, more pics of the Quad?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:35 am 

Thanks Story, here are more of the Quad. Now I wish I got the elevated one....

Attachments:
IMG_8734[1].JPG
IMG_8734[1].JPG [ 154.57 KiB | Viewed 1541 times ]
IMG_8735[1].JPG
IMG_8735[1].JPG [ 144.98 KiB | Viewed 1541 times ]
IMG_8736[1].JPG
IMG_8736[1].JPG [ 164.66 KiB | Viewed 1541 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:45 am 

Very nice! :thumbs_up_1:

Scott

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:01 pm 

Beyond nice. Epic. Museum-worthy when all is said-and done.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:24 pm 

Hello again, thankyou for your positive comments!I have been working on the boiler room air intakes and the searchlight tower. The tower is a bit off - the cross struts are too thick but that was all I have lying around, but I think it is coming out alright so far,
cheers, Will :thanks:

Attachments:
IMG_8943[1].JPG
IMG_8943[1].JPG [ 236.59 KiB | Viewed 1395 times ]
IMG_8942[1].JPG
IMG_8942[1].JPG [ 233.26 KiB | Viewed 1395 times ]
IMG_8940[1].JPG
IMG_8940[1].JPG [ 128.4 KiB | Viewed 1395 times ]
IMG_8939[1].JPG
IMG_8939[1].JPG [ 142.31 KiB | Viewed 1395 times ]
IMG_8941[1].JPG
IMG_8941[1].JPG [ 168.11 KiB | Viewed 1395 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:00 am 

Those details are incredible.
We (my dad and me) are jealous how much space you have :thumbs_up_1:

1:72 - Class Hunt II (ORP Kujawiak)
1:72 - Class M (ORP Orkan)
1:72 - Class T-13
1:72 - Class T-22
1:72 - Class Z-32
1:72 - HMS Grey Goose
1:72 - PC-553

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:07 am 

Hi from France (2 miles from Omaha Beach, and Paris alternatively),

can't resist to post a photo of my ongoing HMS Rodney, fully scratchbuilt in 1/72 scale ! Looking at your post and motivations is a bit like reading about my own philosophy, except that I'm into static display only (waterline could have been a clue on the photo...).

Please go on with your nice work, it's so inspiring to see other guys with similar goals, as Herbieham with its scratchbuilt Yamato and ongoing projects...

Big scale scratchbuilding is great and so satisfying for the mind and soul.

Please apologise for the approximate English though !

Regards from France.

Attachments:
DSC04611.JPG
DSC04611.JPG [ 161.12 KiB | Viewed 1267 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:13 am 

Thankyou Alonzo, my family with seven children live in a 1890's police station, house and court house all under the one roof - plenty of room!. We moved to the country so we could have more space. Wow Spottier, more pics if you please unless you have another thread. My work pales in comparison, but it is cheaper than medication...
cheers, Will

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:54 pm 

Hi englishgunner and Alonzo (fellows big scale scratchbuilders then !), see more details attached. A very BIG warning though : I'm working deliberately with "artistic license", i.e. general dimensions and proportions are fairly accurate, yet all detailing is totally unfaithful and wrong !

I did quit some French sites forums because of this, as I've been wholly rejected by the "rivet counters" gang despite my careful explanations about my way of considering my favourite hobby.

Being an industrial designer by trade, I just like to follow my inspiration and don't mind reproducing exactly an historic object : my pleasure is about intricate details, clean and straight craftsmanship and just the fun of building a fine model from discarded bits of wood and plastic ! As an example all the wood is coming from almost free offcuts from department stores like Home Depot or similar...

I just hope you can understand my way of thinking, as I've been "accused" as far as "disrespect" towards past history and men, etc.

This is just a hobby and I just like to enjoy it my way, hope you can understand, as I myself have the deepest respect for people who spend years gathering photos and informations just to be sure that their model represents exactly and faithfully HMS XXXXX in February 1943, including exact shades of grey and deck wood !

All open to - interesting, by the way - discussion, but first of all in need of tolerance and understanding towards "alternative" way of doing things !

Sorry for the lengthy and boring explanations, but I've been really upset in the past and it's the first time for years that I'm coming back in a forum...

Maybe I'll open my own thread if I don't face negative reactions about this one ! I don't want to interfere with yours anyway.

Cheers from France !

Attachments:
DSC04613.JPG
DSC04613.JPG [ 141.52 KiB | Viewed 1233 times ]
DSC04614.JPG
DSC04614.JPG [ 185.58 KiB | Viewed 1233 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:11 pm 

Hello spottier,
obviously I cant speak for all on this forum, and this is the first forum I have ever been on but I think we have struck gold with it. I have seen other modelers on this forum who have also used artistic licence and have built amazing models and there has never been anything other than praise and/or helpful advice. I would say have a crack at it and start your own thread - your modeling skills should be shown to all - I could learn a thing or two from it. As you say, it is just a hobby. I love researching to try and accurately reflect my model at a particular time and place but I can also appreciate those who do it differently - it gives a new perspective which is something we all need time to time,
So, have a crack and start your own thread, I do not think you will be disappointed,
Cheers, Will

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:36 pm 

Spottier,

I guess I must be an extreme rivet counter - my CAD model includes all the nuts, bolts, rivets and such that I can find in the blueprints, drawings, photos, etc. - probably at least a million of them! It is an attempt to be extremely accurate.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=70810

But I have no problem with you creating your model however you want to. If anyone criticizes you just say you are building it the way you think it should have been built! There have been several other scratchbuilds and even kitbashes that were done just for this purpose. Each is an interesting statement about what might have been, and give us something to think about.

For what it is worth, after 14 years of gathering as much information (blueprints, photos, parts drawings, etc.) as I can get on just one ship I am often skeptical about the accuracy of many so-called "accurate" models, especially those created from just simple profile and deck plan drawings. For some things perfect accuracy just isn't possible because of a lack of dimensioned drawings. And of course ships changed with time, so what was correct for one period is wrong for another. Rarely are there enough detailed close up photos to allow determination of exactly how all the details were arranged at any one time. So just build your model the way you want to and ignore the "historical' criticisms.

I do urge you to start your own thread for the Rodney. It is a very interesting ship, and there is another Rodney thread in progress.

Phil

PS: I have often thought about what a behemoth Rodney would have been if they had broadened the beam, lengthened it with another set of boilers and funnel and placed three triple turrets on the stern. It would have made the Yamato look small! Now there is something to speculate about! And that would make an interesting "what if" model!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:55 am 

Hi,

my full name is Stéphane POTTIER, so please call me Stephane (French for Stephen or Steven) : spottier60 just my email address, 60 for... 1960 !

Thanks for your friendly comments and yes, I'll open a thread with preliminary comments to make things clear from the start : I'm even thinking about some title as "1/72 fantasy Rodney" as to avoid any misunderstanding.

Just to state further my "fantasy" approach as an industrial designer, please find attached a photo of one of my previous models : for sure you won't find any photos of the real one !

And now I really stop polluting your post, englishgunner, as I just want to see more from your side : I've been to Sydney a couple of times and I know you must prepare for winter now, our turn for sunshine and outdoors fun, hopefully with lower temperature that you had to suffer from lately.

Cheers to all and thanks for the warm welcome, definitely better than from French sites...

Attachments:
DSC01680.JPG
DSC01680.JPG [ 168.52 KiB | Viewed 1176 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 pm 

Hello everyone,
I bought some Shapeways bits for my destroyer - the 3 inch HA gun that replaced the rear torpedo tube mount, a twin 303 lewis located near the aft main gun, and the ships wheel. Amazing how painting them brings out the hidden details. Wonderful stuff. Cant wait to get more. Only remaining piece of armament is a single 20mm Breda AA mount located near the stern. I think I am getting addicted to the stuff....
cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_9132[1].JPG
IMG_9132[1].JPG [ 160.96 KiB | Viewed 1098 times ]
IMG_9133[1].JPG
IMG_9133[1].JPG [ 120.81 KiB | Viewed 1098 times ]
IMG_9129[1].JPG
IMG_9129[1].JPG [ 118.75 KiB | Viewed 1098 times ]
IMG_9131[1].JPG
IMG_9131[1].JPG [ 113.57 KiB | Viewed 1098 times ]
IMG_9134[1].JPG
IMG_9134[1].JPG [ 99.15 KiB | Viewed 1098 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:36 pm 

Will,

Those are good photos. The paint really does bring out the detail!

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:54 am 

Hi,

Shapeways produces great stuff for sure, if a bit expensive on my opinion, although justified by investments and 3D modelling time !
Have you been satisfied with their services, shipping, schedule, etc. ?

Thanks and please go on with your fine work !

Stephane

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next