The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:52 am 

Hello again,
I am having a crack at the funnels. As I said I am trying aluminium tubing. It is heavier than other materials but I hope the size and ballast needed will compensate for it. The rest of the superstructure ins't very high so here's hoping!
The rear one needs a little more rotating, I cut out a big piece of balsa and hand drilled the holes to push them through - they are under the deck. It seemed a good way to secure the tubing and will allow me to fit a smoke generator easily in the future. If anyone has any ideas or advice please let me know.
I have more 3D printed bits coming. I have two sets of double carley rafts, two twin lewis guns and the single 20mm Breda gun - very exciting,
cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_9909[1].JPG
IMG_9909[1].JPG [ 175.04 KiB | Viewed 1916 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:40 am 

HI Will, I had a look at Shapeways 3/D site, they had a lot of ship parts especially weapons for ship like you have on order saw those rafts, sent them an email to see if they will print out the winches and anchors in 1/87 scale, all I need is one winch and copy the rest, I need four at least, two anchor winches.

This is where the hobby gets expensive, there is a hobby show coming up in August not far from me will go and ask where I can get the parts in Australia.

ship building night tomorrow night get some more progress on my ship build, very cold here today 16 degrees wet as well, no progress on my layout.

Great idea using aluminium tubing for the funnels what I can't use for my model has a few smaller funnels with a closed in cover in the sides.

Coming along nicely looking forward to see more progress pics.

Tony from cold SE/QLD

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:46 am 

Thanks Tony,
try "Float a Boat", in Ringwood Victoria. Taskforce 72 put me onto them and I will be getting alot of goodies through them too,
cheers,
Will

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:01 pm 

Hi Will, how are you going with the cold weather, we have had good mild winter weather during the day, cooler days approaching us next week.

I found the link to Shapeways 1/87 scale section and they do a single tugboat winch, need as double winch will cost a bit more, ouch, haven't contacted them yet, being busy working on the layout and my ship build, progressing well, more pics on my post today.

Also work on my bridge project where the spit will sit , got some great ideas on using blue tarp as water and painting the ships wave washing and behind the ship , look good, doing that with the the back droops on the layout, save a bit of money in buying MDF board.

Keep warm Tony from S/E-QLD

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:53 am 

englishgunner wrote:
and the single 20mm Breda gun - very exciting,
cheers, Will

How'd the real one become part of the ship's armaments?

1/96 12cm pre-Dreadnaught deck gun
1/124 CS Privateer 'Beauregard'
1/124 CS Blockade Runners Pevensey & Ella Warley
1/192 scale whaler PEQUOD

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:54 am 

Hey Story,
I am not sure how or where they came by it. I only saw the added AA guns when I was looking at the V and W Class section of this Forum - fantastic. I will certainly be digging some more to find out.
My Carley rafts and twin Lewis guns have arrived. I have undercoated the rafts and put them on to see, prior to the final lighter coat. They have turned out really well, I am very happy with them, though they were REALLY expensive, but I think I am near the end of getting any 3D parts so I bit the bullet,
Cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_9972[1].JPG
IMG_9972[1].JPG [ 161.54 KiB | Viewed 1735 times ]
IMG_9973[1].JPG
IMG_9973[1].JPG [ 211.76 KiB | Viewed 1735 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:15 am 

Hi will, wow, very nice indeed, the twin Lewis guns came up, no wonder you are happy some times it is worth it to bite the dist and get what you want in th end.

I have to con my wife to ordering the two anchors for my ship, I think I made the anchor recess to big, you will have to let know when I head over to my post to add the pics in question.

Ship ways do have a 1/87 scale section and the bloke said he can print from a pic, sadly I have to wait till the 23rd of July for the bloke I am in contact from the ships owners to get more plans and pics of the winches.

How are you copping with the cold, we have had 0 for a couple of morning, no need to mow the grass .

Bye from Tony.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:22 pm 

Thanks Tony,
we are going for a low of -6 this Saturday, good reason to stay tucked up in bed I think.
You are right, no need to mow the grass. Any grass we have is being eaten by the Kangaroos. There isn't much feed around. I had a local lady with three big males roos in her back yard. When she walked out one of them attacked her and scratched her hand. She had to retreat inside and she called me up. I drove up there in my police car and had a crack at them with a broom and managed to get them out and then had to chase them off with the police car, lights and sirens blaring. My daughter went out the back yard to put the ducks away and a big male had a go at her, very scary.
Enough about the angry native wildlife - I am putting the final coat on the rafts, they are coming up good, put a coat on the Lewis guns. Not sure what colour the guns were though - the barrels may be black, like the quad gun - will keep searching through photos.
Glad you found the right place to get your anchors - the wait will be worth it I am sure,
Cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_9991[1].JPG
IMG_9991[1].JPG [ 147.84 KiB | Viewed 1692 times ]
IMG_9993[1].JPG
IMG_9993[1].JPG [ 138 KiB | Viewed 1692 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:47 am 

Methinks the Lewis guns themselves would be standard gun blue (gunmetal) with wooden stocks? The mounting brackets, as well as the mount itself, would be in the relevant camouflage paint, I reckon.

But that's just a scientific wild-ass guess (SWAG) on my part.

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:29 am 

Thanks Sean,
that's what I thought till I had a search on the net. It would seem the stock was indeed wood, but the metal was black. I saw a few photos of different stands as well and they appeared to be black as well. Thanks for your SWAG, keep them coming!
cheers, Will

Attachments:
Lewis.jpg
Lewis.jpg [ 39.01 KiB | Viewed 1685 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:25 am 

Hello all,
ordered and received the 20mm Breda gun. I found some photographs of the Breda on other Scrap Iron ships and assume my Waterhen had the same sort of mount. I am trying to match and make it as similar as I can.
The annoying thing is that the barrel has a slight dip downward - its only minor but is giving me the poops - does anyone know of a way to correct the slight kink in the barrel without destroying or snapping it off - do I apply a bit heat or is that a recipe for disaster,
cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_0271[1].JPG
IMG_0271[1].JPG [ 102 KiB | Viewed 1599 times ]
IMG_0272[1].JPG
IMG_0272[1].JPG [ 219.55 KiB | Viewed 1599 times ]
IMG_0270[1].JPG
IMG_0270[1].JPG [ 152.33 KiB | Viewed 1599 times ]
IMG_0273[1].JPG
IMG_0273[1].JPG [ 126.77 KiB | Viewed 1599 times ]
IMG_0274[1].JPG
IMG_0274[1].JPG [ 161.75 KiB | Viewed 1599 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:28 am 

Hello again,
I received my Micro Mark rivet decals and threw them on a few gun shields and the air intake. My five year old son, Edmond helped, so we both made a mess of them, but had a great time together. I am sure we will get better. I am going to rivet everything that was on the ship, it is very subtle but you can make it out if you are looking for it.....
cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_0309[1].JPG
IMG_0309[1].JPG [ 224.15 KiB | Viewed 1546 times ]
IMG_0310[1].JPG
IMG_0310[1].JPG [ 280.06 KiB | Viewed 1546 times ]
IMG_0308[1].JPG
IMG_0308[1].JPG [ 84.84 KiB | Viewed 1546 times ]
IMG_0312[1].JPG
IMG_0312[1].JPG [ 149.23 KiB | Viewed 1546 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:30 am 

englishgunner wrote:
The annoying thing is that the barrel has a slight dip downward - its only minor but is giving me the poops - does anyone know of a way to correct the slight kink in the barrel without destroying or snapping it off - do I apply a bit heat or is that a recipe for disaster,
cheers, Will

Hi Will
Cracking bult you have here...
Regarding your question with the Breda barrel... you can try and find this metal barrel:

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/wepko ... q7yfn.html

I have no commercial interest in the maker or seller - it was just a way to show you the set by Aber
This should solve your problem
Carry on
Rui

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:39 pm 

Wow, thankyou Rui, that will definitely fix my drooping barrel, I tried your link and they said the seller was on vacation, so got one through Ebay,
cheers, Will

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:36 pm 

This project just becomes more and more epic with each post.

1/96 12cm pre-Dreadnaught deck gun
1/124 CS Privateer 'Beauregard'
1/124 CS Blockade Runners Pevensey & Ella Warley
1/192 scale whaler PEQUOD

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:15 pm 

Morning Will, coming along nicely with the added main gun, if I am guessing right the last pic of the last post with the pics, about the last pic the long boxes be for the round to be stored.

My build is coming together at long last, have finished cutting the window panel between the raised deck and knuckle line , was not an easy task at all,very hard glad it is out the way and last night finished gluing the last layer for the front , shape could of been better, not bad for a first attempt.

Is it warmer for you where you are this weekend, soon be able to get back to your layout build, I am working on my bridge, have built one section, three more to go, had to make a start, the paling were starting to twist, will send you an email with the pics of the rail deck finished. 28 degrees today. crazy

Keep warm Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:46 pm 

Hello Tony,
good try but wrong! - the long boxes are the engine air intakes located in between the funnels. The projectiles were stored in single easily accessible racks around the gun and I am thinking the propellant was in wooden boxes nearby too. Still have to confirm that.
I have been a bad boy and ordered some stuff from Float a Boat in Victoria, Australia: props, shafts, A-frames, bollards, cleats, ladders, capstan, gratings. I want to start installing the internal gear so I can also workout what parts of the deck are needed for access.
Cheers, Will
Heavy rain, Roos are happy,

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:13 am 

englishgunner wrote:
Hello Tony,
good try but wrong! - the long boxes are the engine air intakes located in between the funnels. The projectiles were stored in single easily accessible racks around the gun and I am thinking the propellant was in wooden boxes nearby too. Still have to confirm that.

Were they bag guns, though?

If they were, which I doubt, then perhaps. But we're talking about 102mm QF guns that IIRC, like their American counterparts, probably used self-contained metallic cartridges—which was part of what made quick-firing guns of such dimensions possible in the first place.

But this is just a shot in the dark from a bloke without much knowledge of naval guns beyond playing World of Warships and reading the Destroyermen series... :wave_1:

On the ways:

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:11 pm 

Hello Sean,
I assumed they were projectile mated with brass cartridge. In photos you see the projectiles in single verticle racks around each gun and there are wooden boxes nearby, so I thought the cartridges were probable in there. I was a Reservist "Drop Short" - artillery and have used the 105mm American M2A2 gun and the British Hamel gun and they were that kind of set up. Please someone correct me if I am wrong about the V and W guns!. The 3 inch High And gun was a projectile with brass cartridge set up as well.
I am starting to detail the front superstructure while I wait for the props, shafts and A frames. I am going to spray the part with the railing a dark camo which is actually a primer, put the micro mark rivet decals on and then give it a second coat.
Love WOW - see you on the high seas, I am on the North American server as you guessed it - englishgunner. I end up buying my ships as I don't get much time to play it. I love trundling about in the Arizona, citadel hitting cruisers and watching them explode. I too am getting through the Destroyermen Series - very gripping.
Cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_0453[1].JPG
IMG_0453[1].JPG [ 168.65 KiB | Viewed 2068 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:33 pm 

Will,

Chances are, this could simply boil down to a difference in terminology used; to whit, by "self-contained metallic cartridge" I basically mean what is essentially an up-scaled explosive bullet, used in breech-loading artillery including smaller-caliber naval guns and the main armament of tanks. This being opposed to "bag guns," which required a shell and separate bags of propellant to be rammed home into the breech before the weapon could fire; this is what Japanese destroyers used for most of the history of the Imperial Japanese Navy (and why their guns have crap ROF in World of Warships, heh).

So if what you mean by "projectile mated with brass cartridge" is the same or similar, then I think we've got a better shot (pun intended) at finding answers. I reckon the racks of which you speak represent the ready-access ammunition, with the wooden boxes being stored ammo that would either be used to replenish the ready racks after a short, sharp action, or eventually be broken into by ordnance strikers as a long, drawn-out battle dragged on.

Edit to add: That's brilliant work you've been doing, by the way, and I can only look on with admiration at your efforts. I would love to be able to build, say, a 1/35 scale Fletcher- or Gearing-class destroyer, but sadly, the proper facilities, skills, and money are as far from my grasp as a trip to the Moon.

On the ways:

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next