The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:35 am 

I have been very happy with the shapeways bloke I have been using Spottier, very fast efficient, good comms, worked with me to get my ships wheel just the right size.
I have been doing more work on the main guns, trying to turn them from an American gun into the English gun. I think they are getting there. The more I look at other works done, the more I realise how bad mine is! - not to put myself down - I am a self confessed novice - but I am totally amazed at what 'beautiful ships' have and are being built. But I am having lots of fun which is why anyone should be doing this,
Cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_9214[1].JPG
IMG_9214[1].JPG [ 119.55 KiB | Viewed 1773 times ]
IMG_9212[1].JPG
IMG_9212[1].JPG [ 95.95 KiB | Viewed 1773 times ]
IMG_9213[1].JPG
IMG_9213[1].JPG [ 107.76 KiB | Viewed 1773 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 pm 

englishgunner wrote:
Hello all,
this is my first attempt at scratchbuilding a ship.

englishgunner wrote:
But I am having lots of fun which is why anyone should be doing this,
Cheers, Will

...and you're an inspiration to others. Continue on your current bearing and speed. :thumbs_up_1:

1/96 12cm pre-Dreadnaught deck gun
1/124 CS Privateer 'Beauregard'
1/124 CS Blockade Runners Pevensey & Ella Warley
1/192 scale whaler PEQUOD

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:05 am 

Hi Englishgunner, that destroyer is huge and I thought my Ro, Ro ship was big, 2.160 meters in length by 105 mm beam in 87 scale. I live in good old QLD,
they say sunny one day perfect the next, don't agree with that saying it has being raining and more rain coming in tomorrow, nice build.

After this build I do plan to model a destroyer should be an Aussie ship, where on the net did you get those plans , I was lucky to get some from the ship owners, but my brother in law stuffed up by printing them out too large and cutting some of the drawing off, they are DWG files I don't know how to read them

Another modeller sent me a like, will have to download the trial one first he said it is east to use.

Taking my time building my model have made a couple of mistakes on the way, first scratch build is a learning curve,my other hobby is model trains and modelling a bridge scene where the ship will sit under , water line model, do plan to build a second ship full hull ratio control.

Bridge main span 14 feet coat hanger design with a modern arch above the double rail deck road deck like the Sydney Harbour bridge.

Getting cool here as well, can't sit out under the pergola for the first morning coffee was cool might have a cooler winter, are you any where near Canberra, visited Canberra a while in early October and it was very cold and rany that day we visited the war memorial, need a full day there.

Do you know where I ca get winch fitting in 87 scale.

Tony from cool QLD

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:24 pm 

Hey Tony,
I have been watching your Ro, Ro with great interest. Which Aussie destroyer are you looking at building next?. I think this will be my one and only - it will take me years to get it done with all the detail I want to include. I got the V and W plans off eBay, two sets from different sellers. The second one I got from vintage905. They were both different V and W's but after a lot of research on my HMAS Waterhen, I think I will be able to modify it to look like her. I blew the plans up on my photocopier to the size I wanted.
You are certainly right about first time scratch building - mistakes along the way. I built my hull on the dining room table in between meals - I was keeping the keel level with some books - I hadn't even thought about online model ship forums for inspiration till after. I certainly wouldn't build it that way again, but it even though it was hard, it worked.
I have been getting parts through Shapeways, in particular hawkins751511. He has been very obliging, upscaling for me etc - he may be able to help with the winch.
Not much rain here, please send some down!
We are halfway between Bathurst and Mudgee, good 4WDing, camping, hunting etc, great place!
Will from dry NSW

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:10 pm 

Forgot to mention, I am into HO scale trains and my 13 year old son and I are building it now, we are building our bridges out of match sticks - as impressive as your one sounds Tony - look forward to seeing it,
cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_9271[1].JPG
IMG_9271[1].JPG [ 270.08 KiB | Viewed 1661 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:11 pm 

I meant NOT as impressive as your bridge sounds Tony, lol
cheers Will

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:58 am 

Hi Will, wow we have the same interest, I will sent you an email with my layout progress pics, yeah I would like to model the newest destroyer we are getting from Spain, or the ANZAC class frigate they are even bigger than destroyers or cruisers of WW11.

A painter many years back when we living in Brisbane got me a set of plans of the British Type 42 destroyer, I forgot I had the plans, had them in my dads breath case and only opened the breath case last year sadly the plans were yellow and couldn't see the drawing. I do have plans of a container ship maybuild one after this build, would like a more modern container ship, I plan to model a Ro, Ro container port after the layout is up and running.

I will look up shipways and send him an email seeing if he can help with those winches.

That is a good size layout you are building, I think my would like me to cut mine back, no my layout is designed for long trains, longer the better, will do some more work on the bow keel section tonight glueing on the second main floor deck sheet, mark and cut the two last waterline bottom sheets as well.

I like the idea of the curved viaduct made out on match sticks, gives me an idea on doing the same with the bridge arch cables make them out those wooden skewers gluing them together pretty cheap to buy , round dowel is quite dear $5.50 for a 2.4 m2ter length, will check out KMart, was there today.

Tony from S/E-QLD.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:26 pm 

Thanks Tony, look forward to having a look at your email, I think it is good to mix the modelling up a bit - keeps you sharp!.
I have nearly finished my 3 inch HA gun, still have to make all the shells that are recessed around the inside of the tub plus some paint touch ups. I have tried to match the anti slip paint - if anyone has any ideas on its accuracy please let me know,
Cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_9274[1].JPG
IMG_9274[1].JPG [ 165.25 KiB | Viewed 1628 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:35 am 

Hi Will, did you get my email from the forum, well done all you can do is keep experimenting with matching the paint colours, the shells asually are a copper colour

Another friend from the US suggested I different size plastic piping, look like a trip to Bunning and see what they have, will have to calculate the scale measurements, I going over to my post have some more update pics on the progress of the bow keel section coming along nicely.

What scale is your ship, morerogress on my as well today , rest day tomorrow but will redraw my bridge again to full size, be using the arch drawing as a template to build the arch, to save that wastage cutting from a full sheet of ply, building my arch like they do with the real construction .

Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:23 am 

Thanks Story for keeping an interest in my build!
Sorry Tony, I didn't get the email. Where did you send it?
My ship is 1/35ish scale - I wanted to build a bigger scale model after years of 1/350 scale ships. I was warned the level of detail would keep me busy and they were certainly right. I keep on researching my ship which reveals new photographs and perspectives of the ship I didn't see before and so I have had to change or modify things I have already built. Some things cant be changed (like there were only three portholes on the rear bridge bulkhead but I have put four) - I know, get over it!
The latest thing I found looking at photographs I had been seeing for months was that between the quad vickers mount and the carley rafts is an ammo bin - it has now being added.
Good luck with the bridge.
Cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_9429[2].JPG
IMG_9429[2].JPG [ 111.62 KiB | Viewed 1550 times ]
IMG_9430[1].JPG
IMG_9430[1].JPG [ 121.78 KiB | Viewed 1550 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:03 am 

Hi Will, yeah I am very interested to see your build finished and destroyer sitting in the water be an awesome site indeed.

I sent you the email in your profile section where it said to send an email be there, if not can send me one from my profile the same way, then I can send you updates of my layout build.

I like those guns pretty impressive when firing, seen in doco's on British Destroyers.

Back on my ship tonight, drawing the bulkheads for the bow of the ship, which I didn't do on the last part I cut off the main deck, in the next couple of days start looking link a ships bow.

Yeah that is amazing what you are saying about finding different missing pics of the ship, same thing with me realizing I made a mistake, good to find out now as you say too far in the build to correct the mistake.

I am working on my control panel, set up my drill press ready to drill the rotary switch holes on the panel face, yes agree good to have a few hobbies to keep you sharp.

Tony from SE/QLD

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:55 am 

I have started building the triple 21 inch torpedo tubes. I got some 16mm dowl to make the torpedoes and wrapped 1 mm tin around it to make the tubes. You see in the photo the two bottom tubes. There is alot of detailing to be done on them. I think they are working out. I had tried to get some 3D printed models but the price was too much for me, so I was "forced" into making my own and I am glad I did. I am not the kind of modeler who starts a piece of their ship, finishes it and then makes the next - I like to do it all in different stages,
cheers Will

Attachments:
IMG_9497[1].JPG
IMG_9497[1].JPG [ 150.7 KiB | Viewed 1458 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:35 pm 

Morning Will, nice job working on the torpedo tubes and great idea, how is the best way to send you an email, so I can show you pic updates on my layout build, being working on the control panel ready to start soldering the LED's and throttles to the rotary switches.

Tony from cool SE/QLD

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:35 pm 

Thanks Tony,
I have sent you a PM!,
cheers, Will

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:37 am 

Hi Will, get my email didn't come back, it was a cold morning to a nice day in the sun that is 26 degrees, 16 degrees here now, you be down to single digits.

Tony from cool QLD.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:28 am 

Hello again,
thanks for the photos Tony, your layout looks like it will be simply amazing. Sorry for the delay in replying - the NBN satellite has been down, again....
I have been messing about with the camouflage - I am probably not up to doing it, but couldn't resist starting the hull once I had got all the remaining portholes from England. I had my ship on its side and found a stowaway. I wonder if the Waterhen had a ships cat - I hope so.
I have been using the photo of her sinking and Brett MORROW's wonderful model to match. It looks to me that the 3 inch HA gun and the searchlight platform were also a dark gray.
Thanks for looking,
Will

Attachments:
IMG_9644[1].JPG
IMG_9644[1].JPG [ 186.97 KiB | Viewed 1305 times ]
IMG_9641[1].JPG
IMG_9641[1].JPG [ 283.55 KiB | Viewed 1305 times ]
IMG_9642[1].JPG
IMG_9642[1].JPG [ 171.77 KiB | Viewed 1305 times ]
IMG_9643[1].JPG
IMG_9643[1].JPG [ 170.44 KiB | Viewed 1305 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:52 am 

Hi Will, that wasn't good having an issue with your NBN satellite, should be fiber all the way, we had trouble at first, mainly the phone, is your phone in NBN as well.
How did your cat get inside the ships hull must the opening must be big enough for him, thanks I have some more update pics, I though you didn't get my email, yes my dream layout and last layout build.

Have you tested her in the water yet to see how she sits.

I haven't done much work on my ship made a mistake again, found that after getting new reading glasses, pain, glad my build is a test build.

Look forward to more progress pics, how much work have you got to do now.

Tony from QLD

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:42 am 

Hello all,
no I haven't tested the hull in the water yet, feel a bit nervous about it for some reason, first time jitters. Silly I know but I keep putting it off. Its not like it wont float or anything....
Anyway still so much detailing to do, as I was warned of when I started. I got hold of more photos of the "Chook" and could see in the first photo how the rivets stand out. I had a crack at them on the torpedo tubes and thought they may do but seeing the photo really made me want to do it properly. I looked online and have ordered some raised 3d rivet decals from Micro-Mark.com. They go on like any decal. I am going to detail the superstructures, torpedo tubes and funnels with them. I think I may spray the aluminium tubes and then apply and spray again. I will tell you how they go.
In relation to the funnels I was not happy with my first attempt so I have ordered 45mm front and 7mm rear aluminium tubes and will have a crack at them. The size and weight of the ship should negate any top heavyness...
I was not sure what the second picture was but worked out it is the carley raft mount located behind the air intakes and in front of the rear funnel. I have scrapped the structure I thought was there and am knocking up the rack to match.
Cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_9863[1].JPG
IMG_9863[1].JPG [ 166.42 KiB | Viewed 1185 times ]
IMG_9864[1].JPG
IMG_9864[1].JPG [ 328.38 KiB | Viewed 1185 times ]
IMG_9866[1].JPG
IMG_9866[1].JPG [ 129.98 KiB | Viewed 1185 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:07 am 

Hi Will, your build is sure coming along nicely, that is the trouble with war ships all that detail, why I picked the ship I am modelling not so much detail, all the bow winches are covered, don't really need them , I will add them, there is one on the stern on the upper deck.

Keep an eye out on your email I have more update pics of my layout, started work on the spiral today.

Back to your destroyer, what is the large box you are building and what is it used for.

How clod does tit drop to where you live in NSW, here it has been 2 degrees, we did drop down to minus last week an 0 last, days are nice 24 degrees, westerlies haven't hit yet.

Any idea where I can 1/87 scale ship fitting from, after anchors mainly and winches .

Tony from very cold S/E QLD

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:34 am 

Hey Tony,
I keep finding new photos and am then having to scrap parts already made. I had to scrap the two signal flag boxes on the wheel house deck because I found a photo of the Chook and they weren't actually there. I am having to change the upper bridge layout for the same reason, which is good because I do want to get it as close to what she was really like. I am thoroughly enjoying having to do the extra detail, and I don't care how long it takes - there is no final date!
Not sure what the box was for and I cant find out - all the deck plans I find don't tell me because they are all different. Oh well I know it was there and I am trying to match it.
Good luck with the railway - we have suspended building on ours as it is too cold out in the stables. It gets very cold, we are at nearly 900 metres but we love the cold with lots of fires and slow cooked meals.
Not sure about 1/87 scale fitting - I would try shapeways 3d printed parts, they make most fittings and can scale them to what ever you need. I was talking to a shapeways chap who is in New Zealand asking about anchors - he said he could scale them to whatever I needed and did some research without me asking and told me exactly the make and model of anchor my destroyer was fitted with which differed from ship to ship depending upon what was available. sozzap23 and hawkins751511 are the two chaps I have been dealing with.
Look forward to seeing the progress of your railway!
Cheers, Will

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next