The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:03 am 

I just finished gluing the Bow keel to the main deck end bulkhead, pics to follow, nearly back to where I found the mistake looking good.

I came across a like that sells 1/87 ship parts, my ship the anchor sits up inside cant't really see it like in a lot of other ships, the the owners model in their office has the anchor showing.

The pics of the owners ship is in the desk top computer, will power it up tomorrow and send the pics to the lap top.

http://frenchmanriver.com/Stockless-Anchor-_p_77.html

Here is the link, has anyone dealt with Frenchman River models, be great if anyone can let me know where else I can get 1/87 scale ship parts from., I need rope and anchor winches as well.

Tony from very cold down under.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:17 am 

Finely back on track from where I had to cut the bow keel of the main deck, further advanced as well, with gluing in the second bulkhead,had stopped the raised deck from sagging, need to cut and glue the third bulkhead closer to the bow, can do that after the bow keel is glued in place.
Before that will close in the other side of the hull bottom making it easier when I glue in the bow keel.

In pics 003 and 005 I glued in place cad strips to strengthen the bow keel to the bulkhead, in pic it is noticed more the support strip of card for the bulk head
will have to be modified, just as well I didn't glue it in place, also cut strips for the second bulk head for raised deck strengthening it.

Soon be closing in the bow keel and cutout out the anchor housing, be great if anyone knows of other mobs that do 1/87 scale anchors.

Fingers cross my model will look like the one in the pic, be glad to see the finish of the bow section, once finished will head back to the stern of the ship.

Attachments:
001.jpg
001.jpg [ 102.05 KiB | Viewed 1475 times ]
002.jpg
002.jpg [ 109.36 KiB | Viewed 1475 times ]
003.jpg
003.jpg [ 108.62 KiB | Viewed 1475 times ]
004.jpg
004.jpg [ 104.2 KiB | Viewed 1475 times ]
005.jpg
005.jpg [ 94.86 KiB | Viewed 1475 times ]
006.jpg
006.jpg [ 113.85 KiB | Viewed 1475 times ]
1008017  a.jpg
1008017 a.jpg [ 92.58 KiB | Viewed 1475 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:40 pm 

Looking good Tony, your patience and persistence is certainly paying off!,
cheers, Will from cold and dry part of down under.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:55 am 

Hi Will, many thanks yeah I am taking nice and slow, this is the third attempt of the blow build, I reckon I have it right to move on to the stage, will get back into the build Sunday night.

Be glad to see the bow section finely finished a while off yet.

Tony from very cold SE/QLD

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:33 pm 

I am back to where I cut the keel off the main deck, Bow keel is glued back on and looking ok , I have started filling in the bow, not an easy task at all, without actual ship plans to cut the sections is very hard going, took a few pieced of cardboard to get close to the shape.

It was also difficult to to glue in place, luckily I am gluing on a second sheets as I had to cut a strip to hold the piece in place,, tonight I will cut and glue in place the bow bulkhead, will tougher in closing in the bow, glad to see the front bow done

Attachments:
IMG_1449.jpg
IMG_1449.jpg [ 115.09 KiB | Viewed 1396 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:21 pm 

I hit the wrong square, here is the second pic, I hope when I work out where the anchor recess goes , the second bow bulkhead isn't in the way.

Going over to a friend work this afternoon and he is going to open the DWG files on my my laptop and print out the ship plans in A/3 size paper, all up there is 9 plans of the ship, brother in law only printed out only half of the ship missing the important drawing. Be a lot easier in all the plans in the one scale making it easier in up scaling to 87 scale.

With the raised deck I be marking out and cutting the weather deck side line lines up with the raised keel above the raised deck where the shape comes to the point, didn't do that before, will make is easier also in cutting the sides of the with those windows.

Tony from down under

Attachments:
IMG_1451.jpg
IMG_1451.jpg [ 109.09 KiB | Viewed 1398 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:41 pm 

On a high, ship build is on track to see finely closing in one side of bow, last night I calculated where the anchor recess be going between the bow bulkhead and main and raised deck bulkhead, worked out well,m so I can go full steam ahead closing in the bow.

Have nearly closed in one side, not an easy task, second side be easier,improving haw I will fill in that side, will be a challenge filling in where the anchor recess be going, be on the hunt for an anchor chain winch, going by the drawing plan of 001A and 003A the chain is a single winch, hard to find a matching pic.

It looks like I will have contact the ships owners and hopefully get the more info and pics, even better get the captains email he may b able to help, finger crossed.

Will finish the right side this week and move onto the left and there is the raised deck weather cover and sides, this time I be adding the knuckle line, be easier when closing in the raised deck side with the windows, will soon be seeing an end to the bow construction, rest be easy.

Now my friend printed out all the plans of the to A/3 size will redraw the stern and middle sections.

Tony from cool down under.

Attachments:
IMG_1466.jpg
IMG_1466.jpg [ 101.55 KiB | Viewed 1355 times ]
002A.jpg
002A.jpg [ 106.16 KiB | Viewed 1355 times ]
001A.jpg
001A.jpg [ 103.01 KiB | Viewed 1355 times ]
003A.jpg
003A.jpg [ 112.38 KiB | Viewed 1355 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:47 pm 

Its really starting to take shape Tony, there are times one wonders if it will progress and then hey presto, the hard part is done and the rest is easy. I was lucky to have plans printed out to scale so my job was easy - you are doing it the hard way and my hat off to you,
cheers,
Will from 8 degrees, cold and wet (thankfully for the farmers).

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:35 am 

Hi Will, how are you coping with the cold down there, it is 7 degrees here and dropping, was 0 here this morning , they say 5 degrees tonight I think it will drop lower.

Many thanks, sadly I wasn't able to get hold of 87 scale drawing would make life a lot easier as you say, keeps me busy at night, not going out much now .

I finely closed in between the bow bulkhead and bow, going to start closing in between bow bullhead and raised deck bulkhead, will have the anchor recess,
the drawing is in the last post, will be easier task, want to do that mainly to get the shape right when gluing in the strips, work my way around to the other side .

Once all the strips are in place will fill in with plaster, or has has anyone got better ideas to use, wont be able to shape the cardboard to get the bow right close as possible, be glad to get the bow out the way, still have to cut the knuckle line this time will be easier the cut and glue in the raised deck sides.

The last two pics of how the trailers will sit on the main deck, those trailers wont be used because of their height , there are specially built lower trailers, will dig out some pics I have of them , another project is born.

Tony from very cold down under

Attachments:
IMG_1472.jpg
IMG_1472.jpg [ 111.71 KiB | Viewed 1337 times ]
IMG_1458.jpg
IMG_1458.jpg [ 105.74 KiB | Viewed 1337 times ]
IMG_1460.jpg
IMG_1460.jpg [ 108.45 KiB | Viewed 1337 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:39 am 

More progress on my ship, have finely cut the anchor panel the that has the anchor recess in it, it took a couple of pieces of card to get it right, but I think the anchor recess is too long, will have to order a couple of anchors for the ship getting an anchor as close as I can or get them printed out in 3/D.

Here are the pics, the ships model showing the anchor , in the last pic the real ship doesn't, the anchor is hidden in the recess.

The bloke I am dealing with from the ships owners is out of his office till the 23rd of July, I will have to move onto the knuckle line mark and cut out and do the same with the raised deck weather cover, till I hear from him.

On a high, the bow will look awesome when finished , a while off yet.

Tony from cold down under :woo_hoo:

Attachments:
IMG_1516.jpg
IMG_1516.jpg [ 113.5 KiB | Viewed 1323 times ]
IMG_1514.jpg
IMG_1514.jpg [ 162.57 KiB | Viewed 1323 times ]
1008017  a.jpg
1008017 a.jpg [ 92.58 KiB | Viewed 1323 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:27 pm 

Wow, that bulbous bow looks really hard, I am glad I didn't have to build that for mine. What material are you going to use to make it?
Cheers, Will

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:33 am 

Hi Will, how cold is it now where you are, 4 degrees here and dropping down to zero, I say we will go into the minus, ouch freezing.

Thanks, I am building the ship out of 1 mm cardboard sheet why it is hard to shape the bow, once all close in I will fill in the gaps and sand off will look awesome.

I am still having trouble working what size anchors to get for my ship to get the anchor recess right, can someone help me out here are two different size anchors which one be the best or where to get the right scale for 1/78 scale (HO scale).

pic one 10-06 measurements H 28mm wide 18mm

pic two 16-80 measurements H 26mm wide 15mm

It is real hard to try and search the measurements of my ships anchor, waiting for the bloke to get in contact to but he is out of his office till the 23rd of July, I can continue on till then.

Attachments:
anchors-5621-01-06.jpg
anchors-5621-01-06.jpg [ 13.84 KiB | Viewed 1297 times ]
anchors-5621-16-80.jpg
anchors-5621-16-80.jpg [ 24.13 KiB | Viewed 1297 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:51 am 

Well under way getting closer in closing in the side of bow, was not an easy task gluing the panel in between the knuckle line and raised deck, the question is
in the first pic with the 1/78 scale figure is the windows too low should they be up a couple of mm's.

There be one more layer of cardboard can fix it with the second panel and cut the first panel windows to the new size, that's if I haven't got it right, the final piece will over lap the first join

The anchor recess needs to be cut square and the inside cut out and glued in place, I don't need to have anchors as the real ships anchors are up inside.

Taking my time do a bit every few nights will get the in the end.

Tony from down under, warm week coming up 27 degrees during the day, about 8 degrees at night till next week back to the cool days and nights.

Attachments:
IMG_1574.jpg
IMG_1574.jpg [ 109.02 KiB | Viewed 1240 times ]
IMG_1575.jpg
IMG_1575.jpg [ 117.86 KiB | Viewed 1240 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:27 pm 

The ship build has come a long way since I first started marking out the base of the water line to the bow keel, nearly finished, the panel with the windows between the knuckle deck and raised is finely finished with the last front bow layer glued in place, was not an easy task at all.

If I build a second ship be be built differently, not using cardboard .

Will have to wait till all of the bow is closed in before I fill in all of the joins and shape the front bow with plaster.

Tonight will be working on the anchor panel on both sides, can't wait to see the bow finely finished after three attempts.

Tony from sunny down under

Attachments:
IMG_1621.jpg
IMG_1621.jpg [ 106.21 KiB | Viewed 1187 times ]
IMG_1625.jpg
IMG_1625.jpg [ 107.23 KiB | Viewed 1187 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:13 am 

Looking good Tony, I take my hat off to you - working with cardboard - I dont think I would have the patience. I look forward to seeing the progress with your bridge too - there's nothing like building a bridge.... except for building a ship.
cheer Will
A bit of rain, very very very dry

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:33 pm 

HI Will, many thanks, I do the same for you as well with your build, I have progressed a lot more and now on a high have finished from the raised deck to the shelter cover all closed in , was a hard job but glad it is finished out the way. Not a 100 percent happy, but at least she looks like the ship now, will look heaps better when all of the bow is finished ans I can fill in all the gaps and sand smooth, will finish filling the bottom bow sides, am in contact with the real ships captain, he has sent me lost of pics waiting for more plans, especially on the anchor recess.

Pic 001 is how I made the frame work to glue the sides on, pic 2 closed in, same way on the other side, not quite even, a couple of mm's out looks ok wont fix it as I may stuff it, pic 003 finely both sides finished, pic 004 shelter cover off looking at the raised deck waiting on the winches.
Where the bulkhead is there is on both sides a stair case with six steps the same level as the the window, will ad them later after the ship is built

Pic 005 looking at the other side and pic 6 is what I be working on next after the the whole bow section is finished.

The weekend we are going to Caloundra has to be raining, just hope only a few showers, taking my good SLR camera this time, get some good ship pics.

On a high nearly there being a long while though after three attempts, still taking my time, hopefully have most of the ship built when I finish my train layout.

Tony from form cold down under

Attachments:
001.jpg
001.jpg [ 105.67 KiB | Viewed 1142 times ]
002.jpg
002.jpg [ 114.53 KiB | Viewed 1142 times ]
003.jpg
003.jpg [ 101.01 KiB | Viewed 1142 times ]
004.jpg
004.jpg [ 119.56 KiB | Viewed 1142 times ]
005.jpg
005.jpg [ 106.15 KiB | Viewed 1142 times ]
006.jpg
006.jpg [ 113.31 KiB | Viewed 1142 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:30 am 

Yep, looking better and better - looks like you are nearly done with the hardest part. Will you be working your way aft or starting at the stern first and getting that done?. Will you be using anything for the keel to give it strength, or just making a lot of bulkheads.
Funny day here yesterday, 3 degrees, high wind, rain, sleet and snow.
Hope you get some good pics, and by the way I prefer the old Star Wars movies to the recent SJW (social justice warriers) ones put out, but it is always good to see the Millennium Falcon getting about!
Cheers, Will

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:16 am 

Hi Will,, sadly I ended up not going to Caloundra my wife was six, was looking forward to it, be going up in a couple of months for a few days at the same units ,hopefully the same room had a good vie of the ocean and shipping channel , can't wait, will take the good camera .

Thanks Will , I have advanced some more, yet again had a mistake on the front bow, yes can be fixed by filling in the middle, as I said this build is a learning curve.

Pic one I finished closing in one side , not happy but can be fixed, will wait till I finish the first section of the ship before tackling the repair and close in the other side of the bow, pic two can see where I made the mistake in the real ships front bow.

Pic three I am having a rest from the front bow build and moving onto past the main deck bulkhead marking out where the next bullhead will go which wont be a full bulkhead, the full line marking are where the trailers get tied down and the divided lines are the trailer lanes, I thought three was three lanes at the main deck bulkhead, only two.

Pretty happy has worked out, all up there are 8 lanes on the top and upper decks, six on the main deck, not sue on the lower deck, last two pics, I got fed up the light in the way especially when ruling and cutting with the ruler, came up with that idea,I knew the train boxes come to some use, can pit the pen and rubber on the board as well .

At least this side be a lot easier that the bow has being a pain.

Gee today wad cold still in a track suit, winter on it's last leg days warming up and longer as well, more time on the layout construction.

Tony from down under

Attachments:
IMG_1783.jpg
IMG_1783.jpg [ 110.36 KiB | Viewed 1080 times ]
CIMG1452 a.jpg
CIMG1452 a.jpg [ 105.46 KiB | Viewed 1080 times ]
IMG_1792.jpg
IMG_1792.jpg [ 101.49 KiB | Viewed 1080 times ]
IMG_1785.jpg
IMG_1785.jpg [ 110.25 KiB | Viewed 1080 times ]
IMG_1786.jpg
IMG_1786.jpg [ 114.91 KiB | Viewed 1080 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:44 am 

Breaking news the bow keel is finely finished at long last, I sure had a lot of trouble getting this far finishing the bow, three attempts later but worth the effort even in the front bow being wrong, after plastering the gaps up and she now looks like the real ships bow.

I now can move on past the main deck bulkhead onto the next which will have two decks, still have the hull shape to the end of the first section and the rest of the three section be a square shape , faster to build, I am finely past the first hurdle, didn't think I would get there.

Had to bite the dust in what I had to work on as a side plan of the anchor recess, now I am taking to the captain of the ship getting more plans of the ship and pics.

Not bad for a first effort, the front bow is as close as I can get it after the mistake, won't paint it till after the first section is finished.

Tony from down under happy camper

Attachments:
002.jpg
002.jpg [ 112.39 KiB | Viewed 1025 times ]
003.jpg
003.jpg [ 116.32 KiB | Viewed 1025 times ]
004.jpg
004.jpg [ 110.93 KiB | Viewed 1025 times ]
1008017  a.jpg
1008017 a.jpg [ 92.58 KiB | Viewed 1025 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:41 am 

Fabulous work Tony, can't wait to see more. My roro will have to wait until the end of the semester

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next