The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:10 pm 

Fantastic Tony, it must have felt great to get that bow finally closed in. How is the stern on these ships above the waterline, just a big square?. Cant wait to see more work as you go aft, and cant wait to see pictures of the bridge,
cheers, Will

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:41 am 

Hi Hoscalemodeler, thanks yeah sure was glad to see the bow section finished, what course are you doing having to wait till after the semester.

Be easy goon once this fist section is finished., square to the water line, be looking forward to seeing more progress of your ship then.

Tony from down under

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:50 am 

HI Will, many thank's, yes it did three attempts later as close as I can get wit using cardboard sheeting, not a 100 percent though but if I had the new plans be a lot easier to get it right, now have the anchor recess plan and even better winch plans.

You will have to wait a while, soon after I finely finish the first section I will be making a start on the bridge, got the plans for the main mask has measurements.

Will be building a second model of the same ship construction be different and improved and will have a full hull for radio control, same length will look pure awesome in the water like the real ship.

Take care Tony, are you copping a cold snap we are 22 degrees today quite cold tonight still wearing jacket.

Did you see my reply email, have some more pics of the layout wiring.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:25 am 

Corona Sea first section is nearly finished , two more bulkheads to mark cut and glue together, sure has being a long road, here is the latest pic update, she is starting to look like a ship. I wont close the sides in till the last two are glued in place.

It is really one more bulkhead but with the join I rather have a bulkhead to line up and bolt together, the hull sides be over lapping the join by 3 inches, also be two 18 mm square dowel to strengthen the keel, the first section is quite heavy. I will make a start on the bridge and two lower decks as the upper deck the where the superstructure sits on the top deck is closed in.

I now have all the DGW plans to the ship and will be building a second remote control model will look stunning sitting in the water, the first build will look stunning passing in under my double deck bridge

Be glad to finely finish the first section, the second section has a bit of the bow shape, and square sides after that making it easy to build.

Tony from down under

Attachments:
IMG_2089.jpg
IMG_2089.jpg [ 122.67 KiB | Viewed 1487 times ]
IMG_2090.jpg
IMG_2090.jpg [ 122.69 KiB | Viewed 1487 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:52 am 

A big milestone today and marathon effort to finely finish the last two bulkheads of the bow section, I can't close in the sides till I make a start on the superstructure and bridge, spent all day today working on the bulkheads. Still need to add some bracing on the side panels, they are double they are double thickness card, need them like that for the second section to join up, bolt and glue.

The superstructure is flush with the side for a few inches, once I work out the length can then start on the sides, the next section be a lot easier to build.

On a high.

Tony form down under

Attachments:
IMG_2122.jpg
IMG_2122.jpg [ 106.39 KiB | Viewed 1465 times ]
IMG_2121.jpg
IMG_2121.jpg [ 108.66 KiB | Viewed 1465 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:06 am 

Bridge construction is well under way, the first second and third pic, I wanted to get the round affect on the curve front edge as in pic one, wasn't an easy task , notice the sides go down past the first deck, I am doing it that way so I can lift superstructure off to use on the second hull. This is way I haven't closed in the side of the hull past the bow, can now start closing the side in, with the double hull card sheeting the second layer will lock that in nicely.

The last two pics I will e marking out the cabin windows and cutting them out, most are double windows, will cut them as double windows and paint the middle window frame , easier that way, plan to have the cabins lite up.

The second layer I won't fold in full piece, be easier to do in tow half's and fill in the join, the superstructure will take some time, got cabins beyond the front ones and the 7th deck with the life boat, a model in it's own right, any ideas on how to tackle that, most cargo ships have the same set up, that wont happen till the whole hull is finished.

One sheet of cardboard left, need to buy more on Tuesday, hope the Smokey and the Bandit Decals don't cost too mush another project, for a friend's Christmas birthday present, will do one for myself, as a trailer on the ship, something different.

I be glad to start work on the second section has the ramp to the to deck from the upper deck,be easy going from no on.

Tony from hot down under , summer is here, 37 degrees tomorrow, 39 on Monday , Tuesday and Wednesday 37 degrees and cool change coming inn25 degrees, back to layout building.

Attachments:
DSC02783.jpg
DSC02783.jpg [ 104.17 KiB | Viewed 1419 times ]
IMG_2176.jpg
IMG_2176.jpg [ 110.02 KiB | Viewed 1419 times ]
IMG_2177.jpg
IMG_2177.jpg [ 118.49 KiB | Viewed 1419 times ]
IMG_2178.jpg
IMG_2178.jpg [ 109.69 KiB | Viewed 1419 times ]
Tor Corona.jpg
Tor Corona.jpg [ 119.98 KiB | Viewed 1419 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:05 pm 

I have finely cut out the cabin winders on bother levels and sides in one piece, was not easy and glued that panel in, now I am working on the second layer, but not in one full piece, be too hard to work out and bend, will fill in the join gaps and still look good.

I wanted the edge to have that round affect like in the real ships prefabbed superstructure, the bridge was build in the same way, for some reason the unfinished post loaded on, is it because I left it too long, thanks to the edit I can caller on.

Last pic I have started marking and cutting out the second layer making sure each cabin window I cut out lines up with the first sheet, working out well so far.

The sides being separate will be easier to bend, will leave plenty to over lap, I plan to clear styrene for the windows and paint the white strip becoming double windows, want to add lights inside. Beyond what I am working on are more cabin windows and walk ways to the life boat, there are no door access from the 7th deck to the lifeboats, strange.

Once I finish the cabin windows will shift onto filling in the hull sides completing the first section, wow what a marathon effort and set backs.

Tony from hot down under

Attachments:
IMG_2183.jpg
IMG_2183.jpg [ 107.08 KiB | Viewed 1391 times ]
IMG_2184.jpg
IMG_2184.jpg [ 102.74 KiB | Viewed 1390 times ]
IMG_2185.jpg
IMG_2185.jpg [ 95.1 KiB | Viewed 1390 times ]
IMG_2194.jpg
IMG_2194.jpg [ 110.41 KiB | Viewed 1390 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 pm 

Looking good Tony,
I was looking at your model and thinking how good it would be to detail the interior and have small LED's to show it off. Does the interior look cavernous from the stern with the ramp down?,
cheers, Will

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:29 pm 

Hi Will, many thanks I progressed more since the last post, have close in the port side if I have that right and working closing in the starboard side, will complete that over the weekend completing a big milestone. Then I will focus on the superstructure and finishing off the closing in the inside of the main deck walls ready for painting then remarking the truck lanes, onto the upper deck doing the same so I.

I plan just to do that wiring up Led's to light up the cabins with the upper and main deck so you can see inside when the rear door ramps are down, I am looking at different loads to save all my trailers for the top deck, one load be the wind turbine towers, paper rolls even a loco or tram. On my layout I will have a separate track circuit for a tram, what a way to bring the first tram my ship, they also use cassettes to take different loads like trams and locos.

Keep an eye out on your email I send you a pic of a loco on a cassette, what a great idea.

The last pic with my glasses on the top deck is where the crew quarters decks will be and life boats be, there be a bit of a gap and the hull sides will go higher, haven't worked out how high yet, with the superstructure, you will notice the sides go down lower, that locks it in place while working on it. I am 2 mm's out on the cabin windows , won't worry about it, this model is only a learning curve to building the second one.

Spraying the paint on the main and upper decks be a challenge, might have to use a paint brush.

How are you going back on working on your layout now it is warmer.

Tony from down under

Attachments:
001.jpg
001.jpg [ 121.49 KiB | Viewed 1349 times ]
IMG_0651  a.jpg
IMG_0651 a.jpg [ 110.72 KiB | Viewed 1349 times ]
004.jpg
004.jpg [ 141.71 KiB | Viewed 1349 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:19 pm 

I have finely don it closed in starboard side of the ship, was a marathon effort every night last week and some days as well big milestone indeed, never thought I do it after a rocky start , three attempts at the bow.

Haven't got back to the ship since Friday night, when I do will be filling in all the gaps and tiding the starboard side bow as well, next step is finish inside walls of the main deck paint the deck floor and walls, need to cut a door paint it blue to access the stair case.

I also need to think of putting in led lights before I start on the upper deck and glue that deck in place, if anyone has any ideas please let me know, need to highlight the decks when the stern ramps are down .

Need to buy a heavy file the will flit the cabin windows, as I was out 2 mm;'s on the height from the cabin floor, easy fix, haven't bought the clear polystyrene between the two windows for the cabin windows,when I do glue them in place will then mask the windows to paint the frame . When I start work on the crew quarters will get the cabin windows right, after that is done will start work on the top deck and cut out the sides of the hull, the hull sides go up above the top deck line

As in the last pic, the first section ends at the 7th green louvers, at least I be able to lock in the sides and top deck floor, she has come a long way since the beginning, soon be marking out and cutting the keel bottom,be done different with the 18 mm square dowel to strengthen the keel.

Well need advice on how to tackle the led wiring to get the best out of the led's

Tony from down under

Attachments:
IMG_2238.jpg
IMG_2238.jpg [ 110.43 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]
IMG_2239.jpg
IMG_2239.jpg [ 115.36 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]
IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0238.jpg [ 115 KiB | Viewed 1328 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:12 am 

Happy new year 2019 to everyone, I hope all had a better new year than me in hospital on the first day of the year and the last day of the year starting to pick up now paying for it with fluid build up, having a procedure in theater will no more and some good news tomorrow.

Have have made a bit more progress on the ships main deck side panel wall of the bow section, finished the first exhaust vents, the same on the starboard side, this is a second attempt and has worked out well, when I am back home will take some pics how I did it which is a lot quicker to the first time .

Attachments:
IMG_2399.jpg
IMG_2399.jpg [ 101.48 KiB | Viewed 1224 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:20 am 

I thought I better add a pic of the real ship what I am modelling to give everyone an idea what I hope to achieve, those vents go all the way down on that level, lucky these is only those vents in the first section.

The upper deck has them too and the door way at the side on the upper deck, not going to model the stair cases.

Sadly I am in hospital will know more tomorrow when I have a procedure done when I am able to go home, once that Starboard side is finished will be laying the keel to the second section of the ship, can't wait to get home.

Tony

Attachments:
Main Deck stair case port side  a.jpg
Main Deck stair case port side a.jpg [ 114.69 KiB | Viewed 1178 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:50 am 

Gadday Tony,
I hope you are travelling well, get home and get stuck into the modelling again, its good for the soul and eases the blood pressure. I have been busy with the family but will be trying to do a bit more on my project, I look forward to seeing more progress on yours,
cheers, Will

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:30 am 

Hi Will, I have being in hospital since new years day and came home today, got some issues with swollen legs, wont be able to do to much for a short while, see in the next couple of days getting back to finishing the starboard side vent panel.

I look forward to seeing some more progress on your project, Christmas new year can be a busy time with family.

How is the heat affecting you, cool change coming in but it looks like QLD will miss out.

Take care and keep cool Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:07 am 

Have started work on the starboard side exhausts vents, this time I am showing how I made the port side vents, the way I cut and puled up half of the card and glued the black paper to give the of vents, in the middle is a 1mm wide paper strip I glue in on top of the black paper, looks pretty good.

Will take a couple of nights to finish, also there are other smaller doors on the same panel I will cut out and have open, I hope when the hull is finished you can actually see the vents when the stern ramps are down, still plan to wire led lighting.

Tony from very hot down under and no rain in site.

Attachments:
IMG_2417.jpg
IMG_2417.jpg [ 101.45 KiB | Viewed 1113 times ]
IMG_2418.jpg
IMG_2418.jpg [ 139.69 KiB | Viewed 1113 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:32 pm 

Hi Tony,
glad to see you back in the modelling saddle. There is nothing better than seeing some interior detail - I have done some on my model, and I just love looking through doors or windows and seeing inside. Look forward to seeing more of you interior done,
cheers, Will

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:19 pm 
Hi Will Yeah the Bow sections main deck interior is nearly down except for a few smaller doors which I didn't know about till the captain sent me the latest pics, going to be a bit harder to cut the doors out on the port side with the exhaust panel glues in place.

At the moment I can't post any pics till I get a question right have you come across that.

Hopefully get it right this time, here we go.

Tony from SE/QLD down under

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:41 am 

Hi Will, hare those pics of the latest update which is nearly completed the interior of the main deck , one more door to cut out, I cut them out to recess the doors where you can see them when closed like I did the exhaust vents, the port side was a challenge, the first door was real hard to cut out, second a lot easier and one more to cut out.

The first pic the vent panel before gluing in place, the second pic with some trailers, there is not a lot of room between the trailers, will have to check the trailer lanes where they start at, nearly ready to paint the main deck gray and mark the trailer lanes, using a yellow marker for the lanes.

Very happy with the progress, I still need to fill in the card gaps with plaster one side of the bow, cool change coming in next week do that then.

Soon be able to lay down the second keel section, can't wait and glad to move forward, didn't think was last year.

Tony from hot down under

Attachments:
IMG_2437.jpg
IMG_2437.jpg [ 109.71 KiB | Viewed 1048 times ]
IMG_2438.jpg
IMG_2438.jpg [ 105.2 KiB | Viewed 1048 times ]
IMG_2440.jpg
IMG_2440.jpg [ 115.45 KiB | Viewed 1048 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:54 pm 

At long last the main deck detailing is completed with trailer land marking, hare are a couple of pics of the main deck with out trailers and second pic with four, I am looking at card trailers and containers, found one good site that sells trailers and containers but no 48 footers, for $6 American not bad.

Not going to close in the upper deck as yet, leaving that for when I wire in led lighting, will wait till the whole hull is finished, found out what those smaller doors are used for access to fans.

The paint has buckled the deck floor when the second section butts up the the first there be a 3 inch longer piece of card that will slide in between the top deck and glued down, be done that on every join, even on the hull side join done differently to cover up that join.

Tony from at last wet down under

Attachments:
IMG_2466.jpg
IMG_2466.jpg [ 104.01 KiB | Viewed 1023 times ]
IMG_2470.jpg
IMG_2470.jpg [ 101.61 KiB | Viewed 1023 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:51 pm 

At long last I laid the keel of the next construction section last night and joined both section up, well she is going to be a stunning ship like the real ship indeed, I am thinking of rebuilding the bow section once the hull is built, not 100 percent happy, can be a lot of improvements when I do especially the windows on the raised deck.

The windows be cut out after that panel is fitted before gluing.

The square dowel I couldn't pull back out so left it in was a tight fit, second keel I am making sure it is a lose fit, once the bulkheads go in I will check with a dowel. With the bulk heads , check the last pic for the lines they be glued to and different to the first build , wont be glued to the main deck glued to the bottom plate

For now on the rest of the ship be easy build being a square hull to the water line, with the dowel can't get it out, the main deck floor it not level now, will have to see once the second section is built and in place and trailers on the deck first before deciding to rebuild the bow section, I want this model to be as right as I can.

Tony from very hot week ahead from down under

Attachments:
001.jpg
001.jpg [ 111.92 KiB | Viewed 1005 times ]
002.jpg
002.jpg [ 119.09 KiB | Viewed 1005 times ]
003.jpg
003.jpg [ 109.47 KiB | Viewed 1005 times ]
004.jpg
004.jpg [ 102.94 KiB | Viewed 1005 times ]
Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next