The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:53 am 

Being pretty busy in the drafting department, working on the bow section, not easy up-scaling form a small drawing to 1/87 scale, there still is a few more lines to add to the bow in second drawing and once done can finely make a start on the construction.

I joined two A/3 size paper together worked out well the first section of the drawing to the dotted line is 537.5 mm's, 4 sections.

Actually I wasn't too far out in the first drawing, it is good I don't have to guess now, still waiting for more plans of the ship coming, hoping the stern and other side of the ship and more on the bridge and main mask.

Second pic from the bottom water line, main deck, 4th deck, upper deck, knuckle deck and top deck, the second top line is cover for the knuckle deck, I think
this first build be the water line model and built another one for radio control.

WE are copping a heat wave here for the next few days by Tuesday 36 degrees, good time to work on the drawing in the nice cool house and watching the cricket ashes test.

Tony from down under.

Attachments:
IMG_0578  a.jpg
IMG_0578 a.jpg [ 104.65 KiB | Viewed 1755 times ]
IMG_0536  a.jpg
IMG_0536 a.jpg [ 101.28 KiB | Viewed 1755 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:56 pm 

Tony,

Good to see progress being made. The "paper" work at the beginning can be tedious, but will give you a more accurate final model.

JDK

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:26 am 

Hi KimmerWerft, happy new year 2018, you are dead right about being tedious, upscaling from an smaller plan isn't easy, I want t start on the second section on the plan so I get the shape of the bow, if you go back a page and look at the pics of the ship see what I mean. Will make start on the second section first, once I finish the drawing of that section, the two middle sections are the easiest to build, put a search in modern ship building, all different now they lay down a prefabbed section of the hull move onto the next section no keel ceremonies.

I made a mistake again, forgot to add on the top deck framing, glad I saw that and have to rebuild again nothing to rub out a few lines on paper.

How are you going with your project starting work on your ship.

It is very hot here, 37c degrees in the sun and 34 in under the pergola got hot in the afternoon pretty humid as well, no work on my layout cool change coming in Monda, rain coming in, get some work done next week.

Tony from down under.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:01 pm 

Well under way at last, wasn't easy calculating the scale of the plan to 87th scale and I found a scale calculator as well, tried it out and bingo on track with the measurements of the hull length, beam and height, would be nice if I had the full height of the ship, will get in contact again with DFDS again this week on now my progress of the construction, started on the bow the hardest secion of the ship.

http://www.scalemodelersworld.com/onlin ... -tool.html

The top of the bow is the knuckle deck where all the winches and a covered roof, I could get away with not having to detail the knuckle deck, leave that detail till later as there is a winch at the stern ed on the upper deck will have to model.

On the last deck what I am asking I am thinking of adding a full length of the ship with 18mm square dowel both sides of the keel witch is three mm thick cardboard , sides be three mm thick as well.

The inside of the bow keel is the start of the decks on the main and upper deck,, main deck isn't as wide as the upper deck only two trailer lanes, glad I have the ship drawing, a pity I don't know how to DWG reader mainly the printing can't work out.

I wont be gluing the main decks of each section till I finish the four sections so I can fist glue in the square dowels, it is a hot week ahead down under 40c degrees no relief till next Monday.

On a high, Tony from down under

Attachments:
IMG_0734  a.jpg
IMG_0734 a.jpg [ 104.65 KiB | Viewed 1614 times ]
IMG_0735  a.jpg
IMG_0735 a.jpg [ 102.77 KiB | Viewed 1614 times ]
IMG_0736.jpg
IMG_0736.jpg [ 113.2 KiB | Viewed 1614 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:40 am 

AutoDesk used to provide a free DXF/DWG viewer called DWG TrueView. I believe you can print from that.

If not you could load the free trial version of just about any CAD program and load the DWGs into that and print.

I use DesignCAD and it will load and print DWGs. It has a free 30 day trial full version. Ask the DesignCAD Forum for help if you need it.

https://www.turbocad.com/designcad/desi ... -2018.html
http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:13 am 

Hi Phil, many thanks for the cad link have saved it and load the trial version on tomorrow, yes I am using True View viewer 2017, did try to print, haven't got a A/3 printer, had a look at the features, question will this version override the the True View viewer.

If I can manage to print onto A/4, I can go to the local library and enlarge to a/3.

How are you going with your build finished yet.

More work on the ships bow tomorrow, concentrating on the main deck at the bow.

Another stinker of a hot day tomorrow, good time to work on the ship in the nice cool hobby room.

Tony from down under.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:45 pm 

Tor Corona Seaways is well under way under construction, fist pic is the side flat end line, the top deck line where it starts is the first bulk head section and the bridge superstructure is.
second pic a temporary main deck working out quite well, I will have top take a pic of the DGW drawing of the all the decks , one drawing my brother didn't print out, I have another program yet to download.

Forth pic the 18 mm square dowel will go the full length of the keel both sides, luckily they come in 3 meter lengths, will have to cut to fit in the car with back seats folded down.

Lucky last two pics looking front on of the bow and side view of the reinforcing the raised deck, going to be tricky when cutting the sidepieces of the bow to do with the knuckle line and cover and also there is open windows on the side as well, going to be fun.

Forward of the first bulk head is two more to be drawn, cut out and glued in place, where the anchor goes has to be cut out, hope to buy anchors close enough to the scale, here is a bloke in Sydney that sells model ship fitting.

Yesterday between rain showers I was working on my layout and marked the levels for the bridge, 19 inches clearance from underneath the rail deck to the water line,coming along nicely, the next section wont be as tough to build.

Tony from wet down under :woo_hoo: :thumbs_up_1: :smallsmile:

Attachments:
IMG_0751.jpg a.jpg
IMG_0751.jpg a.jpg [ 106.55 KiB | Viewed 1563 times ]
IMG_0755.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg [ 119.84 KiB | Viewed 1563 times ]
IMG_0753.jpg
IMG_0753.jpg [ 93.07 KiB | Viewed 1563 times ]
IMG_0756.jpg
IMG_0756.jpg [ 117.1 KiB | Viewed 1563 times ]
IMG_0757.jpg
IMG_0757.jpg [ 111.63 KiB | Viewed 1563 times ]
IMG_0758.jpg
IMG_0758.jpg [ 100.27 KiB | Viewed 1563 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:20 pm 

The latest update build of my ship is coming along nicely, I glues the bow keel to the water line base on Tuesday,very happy, she looks very good and on track, still a long to go,the bow section being the hardest to build, next section be quite easy.

Pic one I checked the bulk head to see how square it is and spot on, next pic added reinforcing for the bulk head onto the water line base with nor much to glue to, pic three looking front on the bulk head perfectly level, checked the measurements both sides matched, on a high.

Last pic I am thinking of cutting the 18mm square dowel 6 inches out from the end of the bow section and cutting length ways half off so the next section will come up flush then glue and bolt together. The next section I will have to build it so I can lift out the decks to get to the keel, will that work ok rather thank have a full length square dowel, would have to buy a 3 meter length of dowel and waste some of them.

My next job is to start work on the framing of between the water line base and main deck so I can make up the bulk head framing for the ship hull sided in and out, want to take my time on this build the cardboard is quit dear and can only buy it from one shop now, Office Works.

The second build be ply and hopping to buy a scroll saw for that task.

Tony from very hot down under :woo_hoo: :cool_2:

Attachments:
001.jpg
001.jpg [ 101.52 KiB | Viewed 1515 times ]
002.jpg
002.jpg [ 106.85 KiB | Viewed 1515 times ]
003.jpg
003.jpg [ 109.55 KiB | Viewed 1515 times ]
004.jpg
004.jpg [ 108.68 KiB | Viewed 1515 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:30 pm 

Here is a couple of video clips of my ship, first one showing the winches at the stern and unloading the ship on all levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx5FBflbSf0&t=37s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5oeb6V2sWI

Second Video clip , showing the raise deck I am working on with the winches, I hope to be able to buy as close as I can get to scale , take too long to scratch build, anchor winch as well, may even add lighting, be the last thing I be doing, will leave the weather bow cover off till then.

Enjoy, Tony from sunny down under , first day of Autumn, still cold in the UK, friend from Germany said it is still soooo cold

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:47 pm 

More progress on the bow I cut out and made a temporary template to make it easier to mark out above the raised deck to do with the knuckle line and weather cover.

Not going to be easy, as you can see from the different angles and the windows, like challenges, do a bit every day and not ruch it be great when done.

Tony from down under

Attachments:
IMG_0795  a.jpg
IMG_0795 a.jpg [ 105.24 KiB | Viewed 1470 times ]
dsc00092_0  a.jpg
dsc00092_0 a.jpg [ 114.05 KiB | Viewed 1470 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:06 pm 

The ship's Bow is coming along nicely, it took a while to mark out and cut the raised deck shelter cover, getting those curves right to the plans, not easy up-scaling,one one to cut out and glue, will notice there is a bow in in the card

Attachments:
IMG_0817.jpg
IMG_0817.jpg [ 108.21 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]
IMG_0822.jpg
IMG_0822.jpg [ 104.92 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:17 pm 

I must of hit the wrong square with have to start another post, I hit submit instead of preview, going back to the last post entry pic two there is a bow in the card, I will have make up framing underneath to stop that,am hopping to b able to lift out the shelter cover to get to the LED lights I be putting in on top of the winches and crew.

The sides of the Bow will be a challenge getting the angle right and cutting out the open windows, is there a name to those windows, it is raining here today, pain as I can't go outside to work on my layout, can't do any cutting with the battery saw.

Tony from down under

Attachments:
IMG_0823.jpg
IMG_0823.jpg [ 108.13 KiB | Viewed 1442 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:04 pm 

Back on track with Tor Corona build, had our week holiday down the Gold Coast , early March, fell sorry for the people that live down there, 3 days to the opening ceremony Commonwealth games, it was very busy when we were there, be even worse now with most of the roads closed off.

Starts back yesterday working on the ship, not an easy task even with plans, very hard getting that angle right on the side of the bow where the raised deck is, will be wasting a lot of cardboard to ge it right and have to have frame working to do that plus beams as I still want to be able to lift off the raised deck weather cover to get to the winches.

Decided to temporary use HO scale rack nails to hold the weather bow cover down while working on the bow sides, with all those angles have cu the sides in strips , once finished will fill the joins up and sand.

Going take a while, will get the bow as close as I can, even gluing in the first strip on the front of the ow was hard had to cut it at the raised deck.

Not sure if you put some pluses pic one I glued in small strips under the raised deck to hold the side strip in place, ill get cut off later as I will have measure and cut a new piece, t do with the angle.

I the mean time have being working on the layout and bade a start on the bridges first tower for the cable stays .

Happy Easter to everyone, down under Easter Monday, ending for another year.

Tony from dull down under.

Attachments:
001.jpg
001.jpg [ 99.42 KiB | Viewed 1368 times ]
002.jpg
002.jpg [ 105.27 KiB | Viewed 1368 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:23 pm 

Hi all, I discovered a mistake in the bulkhead and the main deck level was wrong, looking back on the DWG plans and those weren't the plans that my brother in law didn't print out, the main deck the way I had it only fitted two trailers on the drawing three and looking at more pics I found,didn't look right so I decided to cut off above the main deck and start all over again , this time working up not down and the p buckdeads will sit much better this way.

Go back to Feb-18th second pic with the two trailers, first pic on this post I fixed up making the first frame wider, there is another frame pece to go in front and when I cut out the main deck floor it will go right to the bow.

The two channels beside the keel is made for 18 mm square dowel, I will glue the main deck down, where the hull starts to curve into the bow is quite thin there, 3 mm's thick on my model.

Am glad I found that error now and not later after finishing the section, as I said this build is my learning curve for the second ship.

Going outside now to work on the bridge for the scene I am modeling, be the centerpiece of the layout .

Tony from sunny down under.

Attachments:
IMG_1007  a.jpg
IMG_1007 a.jpg [ 108.28 KiB | Viewed 1270 times ]
Tor Corona.jpg
Tor Corona.jpg [ 99.98 KiB | Viewed 1270 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:44 pm 

Pretty cool ship. A method I regularily use for difficult angles is either paper and use its translucency to draw lines on it to see what looks right. Or simply tracing paper if that's available. This reduces the amount of styrene or carton used since later on you can cut the paper or tracing to shape and directly transfer it to styrene or carton.

Hope to see some progress soon. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:06 am 

Hi Neptune, I would love to do it that with the paper tracing, the ships plan isn't the same scale, be good if you could scan the plans and enlarge them to the model scale of the ship, is the a program that can do that, be so much easier.

I have progressed since the last post and finished the frame work between the main deck and water line base, next will be marking out and cutting the main deck and glueing in place, I should of started this way,.

Will hen stat on the hull sides and work my way own to start of the bow and will this time cut out more bulk heads, because in the last bulk head and the raised deck the actual deck bowed and wasn't level the main reason for cutting off the bulk head for and too flimsy.

The angles are too flat, I will have to glue in some strips so when I glue he hull sides on they have that rounded shape., the two channels are for 18mm square dowel to go the full length of the ship.

Have being concentrating on my layout and designing a new double deck bridge with a coat hanger arch design, bridge be in four sections, approaches each end and the main span in to lengths, hopefully the ship be nearly finished when the bridge is as well. :woo_hoo:

Tony from down under

Attachments:
IMG_1023.jpg
IMG_1023.jpg [ 109.49 KiB | Viewed 1213 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:34 am 

More progress on my ship build, I have closed in the frame work for main deck and the sides between the main deck and water line bottom.

I now can measure and cut out two more bottom sheets that make up the water line bottom and one more sheet for the main deck, once in place will start cutting the strips to round off the sides between the main deck and water line was not an easy trast will be a lot harder with the round shape.

What stuff can I side, with out affectiond the cardboard making it go soft, probably the same on the bow sides , some felling needed, will need the 18mm square dowel to slide into the keel channels to strengthen the hull,will have a have a bit of weight once completed.

Tony from cool down under mainly at night and early morning.

Attachments:
IMG_1116.jpg
IMG_1116.jpg [ 108.8 KiB | Viewed 1174 times ]
IMG_1117.jpg
IMG_1117.jpg [ 117.48 KiB | Viewed 1174 times ]
IMG_1122.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg [ 110.64 KiB | Viewed 1174 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:44 am 

The ships bow keel main deck section is going well, I glued in place the second sheet and started marking the trailer lanes, coming along nicely, even calculated the lanes for the top deck 9 of them going to look awesome when finished.

Those dark groves are for the supports for the bulkhead, might make the trailer a bit wider, the two trailers in the front , there is a third one beside them, might mark the two sheets for the water line bottom tomorrow.

Tony from down under

Attachments:
006.jpg
006.jpg [ 106.86 KiB | Viewed 1144 times ]
007.jpg
007.jpg [ 106.75 KiB | Viewed 1144 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:13 am 

I am nearly up to where I had to cut the bulkhead and raised off the main deck and start again, have learnt a lot since then and building the bow keel the the right way.

In pic 9 this time I also made the front bow weather cover in part of the bow keel, last build I glued it onto the raise deck wasn't a success at all and I cut the groves for the next two bow bulkheads, will stop the raised deck from bowing on the edge,

The final pic 10 I cut 2mm slots for bracing the main deck to top deck bulkhead, b easier as well when gluing in place, also found out when gluing cardboard together, best to put glue on both sheets line the two sheets together.

Still a long way to go in finishing the bow section off, where the anchor recess be will be fun as well.

Tony from down under

Attachments:
008.jpg
008.jpg [ 117.79 KiB | Viewed 1078 times ]
009.jpg
009.jpg [ 107.09 KiB | Viewed 1078 times ]
010.jpg
010.jpg [ 119.41 KiB | Viewed 1078 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:53 am 

Has being a while since the last update, I had to get new reading glasses, found another mistake,luckily the ow keel wasn't glued to the main deck, decided to close in the side between the main deck and water line, have to fill in cutting strips, easier that way and fill in the joins.

With shaping of the bow I am cutting the sides in short lengths, easier that way and fill in the joins, same with the bow two half's too hard in one full piece.

With the sides on it be easier as well to glue in the keel and bulkheads, I am not in a hurry, want to take my time especially the bow section being the hardest.

Tony from down under

Attachments:
001.jpg
001.jpg [ 118.96 KiB | Viewed 1025 times ]
002.jpg
002.jpg [ 116.91 KiB | Viewed 1025 times ]
003.jpg
003.jpg [ 112.28 KiB | Viewed 1025 times ]
004.jpg
004.jpg [ 111.62 KiB | Viewed 1025 times ]
Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next