The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:02 am 

The USS Oklahoma City CL-91/CLG-5/CG-5 was a cruiser - the USS Oklahoma BB-37 was a battleship.

The OK City CL-91 was a Cleveland class light cruiser built in 1944 during during WWII. In the 1950s it was converted to carry anti-aircraft missiles and recommissioned CLG-5. In the 1970s it was designated CG-5. Decommissioned in 1979. Sunk as a target in 1999.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 am 

Tony, That photo of the FINNTIDE hull section is great and very helpful. You can see quite a bit of the draft marks on the hull right near the cut. These give you an absolutely accurate measuring stick that you can use on nearby structures, and then expand to other parts of the hull.

The interior confirms something on the deck arrangement that I thought might be true--but could not tell from the other photos. The main deck (middle deck in this photo) actually has adjustable decks, which are the horizontal pieces near the upper part of the deck. These are moved to the upper position (like in the photo) when they are carrying trucks, containers and other cargo that requires more height. They can be lowered (probably to about mid-way between the deck and overhead) if they are carrying lower-height (and lighter weight) cargo like autos. From some of you other photos it looks like these adjustable decks are well-forward from the stern ramp, so probably not even visible at 1:87, and need not be modeled unless you want to. No one else will know!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:45 pm 

Hi Phil, , was the USS Oklahoma City CG-5 a test bed for the USS Long beach a full missile cruiser, confusing having another ship with a slightly different name.

My wife is buying me a calculator this morning I am fed up of using the phone calculator having to log in every time, it is still raining here, mightn't get much done on my other project with the wild, can't wait to get stuck into working on the plans for the ships hull. Have to draw it in sections,starting on the bow first, that last pic was a great find .

Tony from wet down under

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:04 pm 

Hi Kimmerwerft,yeah that pic was a great find I will have to find a pic of Finn Tide's stern it is on one of those floating dry docks, I saw that what you are saying and wondered what it was, yes agree to works out adjustable decks. In one of the earlier posts page one you can make out a ramp where the crew member is standing, many thanks for pointing that out, with the great find of some info on Fin Pulp there are measurements 15.50 meters from the draft to the top deck what I was looking for, works out in 87 scale 180 mm high.

Yes will depend if I actually model the ship with opening stern cargo doors, may do, thinking of putting her op display at the Hobby show in Ipswich next August.

It is amazing what ship builders can do these days in lengthening a ship, the technology with how they cut the ships must be mind blowing to see how they do it, I will track down the link of the story as they have a video clip of another Ro, Ro ship being lengthened .

Be on the search to find the pic of Fin Tides stern in a portable dry dock.

Tony from own under.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:59 pm 

Tony,

The USS Long Beach CGN-9 was launched before conversion of the USS Oklahoma City was completed. The USS Galveston CLG-3 was the first at sea test bed for the Talos missile, but it had the smaller MK 7 Talos launching system. The Long Beach was the first with the larger MK 11 Talos system.

I have posted a detailed history of the Talos missile and launching system here:

http://www.okieboat.com/Talos%20history.html

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:23 am 

Hi Phil, many thanks for the link those ship missiles are huge, especially the mark 11 Talos system, can't remember did the Long Beach have a deck gun,

I hope I now have the height of my ships hull and superstructure worked out now, 16 and 7/8 inches high from the water line, I will have to raise the height of the bridge, a couple of inches to clear the ships mask on the bridge.

The double deck cable stay bridge between Denmark and Sweden, to 87 scale has a 2 foot clearance to the water line, the ship has a platform must be for the stern doors, is the problem there Oresund Bridge, my bridge be 20 inches, giving a clearance of 3 inches from the top of the mask.
Three pics of the Bow and stern, the first pic I could get away with cutting off 25 mm's as the ship is right on the the water line the port must be pretty deep then the center pic showing the ship up quite high in the water, I don't know what the part in front of the bow is called.

The last pic showing the platform on the stern of the ship and again ring right on the water line, what I could do is when the ship is in port I can build the 25 mm high draft so she is higher up.

It has being raining on and off all day here tomorrow a break in the weather, I be working on the other weather station mounting the weather instruments on a board.

Attachments:
1-1-024  a.jpg
1-1-024 a.jpg [ 106.73 KiB | Viewed 1489 times ]
_finnsky%2002%20140429%2015.40%20NK%202.jpg
_finnsky%2002%20140429%2015.40%20NK%202.jpg [ 98.58 KiB | Viewed 1489 times ]
2222360  a.jpg
2222360 a.jpg [ 101.95 KiB | Viewed 1489 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:06 pm 

Originally the USS Long Beach CGN-9 had no guns, but President Kennedy ordered guns to be installed. Two single 5"/38 mounts were installed midships, port and starboard.

Discussions about the cruisers would be better placed in the appropriate threads in the Cruisers section of the Forum.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:58 am 

Hi Phil, thanks about the Long Beach will look it up, yeah have to agree can get side tracked, I will head over to the cruiser thread.

Haven't done much work on the ship, plan to make a start this week, I wonder if 1 mm cardboard with reinforcing be ok for the hull, plan to glue three sheets together, the join will have a sheet either side making the hull thickness 3 mm thick, same with the bottom of the hull, this way I can build the hull in sections.

The ship won't be too heavy to pick up, to the water line the ship 16 and 5/8 inches high to the top of the main mask, be better if I had a ship plan to work buy, hope she turn out ok .

Tony from down under

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:21 am 

I have decided to work on the stern of the ship plans first, side plan is done , may need some fine tuning thought to gt the height right on the top deck where the funnel is on to do with the height of the four containers stacked, will depend on how high the European containers are, the US ones a higher.

Tomorrow I work on the plans for the stern and try and work out the the height of the stern doors when closed, would anyone know how big he main ram arms for the doors be in mediator wise.

Thought I add the containers and trailer to see how they fit on the decks , looking good,pic three what a find , I found a pic of Finn Tide on the portable dry dock ready to be cut,, if you look closely just above the white truck roof , you can see the ships prop, huge indeed.

Pic four goes to show how big this ship is going by the run-about going past the ship, and going to be even longer., I do have some pics from Google earth of the ship will help, on a high.

Tony from hot down under.

Attachments:
IMG_1760  a.jpg
IMG_1760 a.jpg [ 106.89 KiB | Viewed 1401 times ]
IMG_1761  a.jpg
IMG_1761 a.jpg [ 104.61 KiB | Viewed 1401 times ]
22157633_1998427467101816_2986595308449824768_n.jpg
22157633_1998427467101816_2986595308449824768_n.jpg [ 106.57 KiB | Viewed 1401 times ]
Finnlines-is-to-extend-its-Breeze-series-vessels.jpg
Finnlines-is-to-extend-its-Breeze-series-vessels.jpg [ 133.64 KiB | Viewed 1401 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:49 am 

There seams to be a slight error in the dates saying August in stead of October, going back to the last post pic second pic from the top with the containers Hamburg Sug two of them are inline with the top deck I found a pic of Fin Tide with two containers double stacked the top deck is about quarter inch higher.

That can be easy changed and made higher when I make out the sides of the ship, with these changes the ship from the water line be 14 inches high, going to be a few hot days ahead will work on the ship, going to be an awesome build, always still looking for that missing pic, sadly i can't find deck drawing plans be a help, I am not sure I have the height right.

Tony from down under

Attachments:
1874734.jpg
1874734.jpg [ 138.01 KiB | Viewed 1365 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 pm 

Tony, your photo of the stern area drawing with HO scale vehicles reminded me of a similar photo I took while confirming how trailers and containers will likely fit on my planned ship. I hope to start my own topic once I get beyond the paper stage and start cutting frames.

Attachments:
File comment: M/V AMBASSADOR with ho scale trailers and containers.
IMG_1349.JPG
IMG_1349.JPG [ 90.98 KiB | Viewed 1350 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:06 pm 

Hi HimmerWerft, is the scale N, looking forward to seeing some progress, I be starting to cut the sides of the stern tomorrow, have to work out the square arches on the stern of the ship where the rams for for the stern door ramps are located, nice to have a plan to work by.

Are you drawing up your plan as well, what class ship is it .

Tony from down under.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:21 am 

Hi KimmerWerft, what size does the European containers go by American or smaller, the containers I used are Australian and they are 4 mm's smaller than the US ones, what do I go by.

I made an error and answered another blokes questions, thanks to edit was able to fix it.

Tony from down under

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:00 am 

Tony, Intermodal shipping containers (like the "China Shipping" and "Hamburg Sud" examples in your plan photo) are uniform around the world. There are now more variants than the 20 foot and forty foot standards (45,48 and 53 foot lengths, plus Hi-cubes), but the 20 and 40 footers are still the most common. As to over the road trailers (like the white one in your plan photo), those vary considerably, and it would not surprise me to see different lengths and heights in different countries. Just driving down the road here in the US you will see any number of sizes.

As to my ship--the plans are 1:100 and the trailers and containers on the photo are HO scale. I might start my own topic this weekend which will provide much more info. Who would guess that there would be two different stern-ramp ro-ro builds going at the same time!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:33 pm 

Evening KimmerWerft, yeah the different heights on containers can be a pain when transporting them , a British friend was telling me they have issues with low clearance with bridges and the truck drives are wiping out the container, we have the same issue as well.

Our train gauges are different to as well to the US, all to with height clearances.

I am looking forward to see you start your post, that means three of us modelling Ro, Ro ships, I am still finding different pics of my ship, will help me with my build, not much happening this weekend car washing day and out all day tomorrow, Monday morning looking good to make a start, going to take a while.

Fingers crossed win the lotto tonight and be able to buy those ship plans.

I came across a pic of FinnTide and a model of the ship in bridge, sadly non of my British friends lives near the ports the ships go to, get those wanted pics, still searching for more drawing of my ship, need a plan of the top deck bridge stern and bow, my bridge to the water line is about 14 inches high to the top mask.

Tony from down under.

Attachments:
17125408_248146005589006_2856149669837275136_n.jpg
17125408_248146005589006_2856149669837275136_n.jpg [ 82.55 KiB | Viewed 1253 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:35 am 

Hi guys, on a very big high, DFDS has come through and sent me the needed ship line drawing two on PDF and other on DWG I have being told to download dwg true viewer to open that file, a job for tomorrow.

Now I will have to redraw the hull plans now I have the plans , can't wait, full swing into the construction as well at last, the plans in PDF have the measurements between the decks a big help and the stern as well , will print out the PDF plans.

Tony from down under

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:22 pm 

Tony,

Very good news about receiving the plans from DFDS. Now you will have all sorts of information that will make it much easier to build without guessing.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:44 am 

Hi KimmerWerft, yeah only thing stopping me now is figuring out how to print dwg cad files, pure awesome ,seen the length of the stern ramps,haven't come across the full height of the ship yet. But you said a while back with the main deck there could be an adjustable deck well there is called the fourth deck,
all up 7 decks including the decks above the upper deck, there is a second deck with the engine room is as well.

I will have to completely redraw the plan again sadly as you said no need to guess now, hope to find the full height of the ship, if you ask nicely you be surprised what info you will get on your project, I can't wait.

I also can build the second ship with the full hull with those line drawing, only got the cad program for a short while, will ask my brother in law if he could print out the section on A3 paper he is an engineer would have all the stuff st work, a short set back hopefully get the prints by next Wednesday.

Actually I wont bother doing a drawing, since the first model be a waterline model work out the measurement s on the cardboard for the side of the hull saving time.

Tony from down under on a high

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:13 pm 

Well under way again complete new drawing, was way out, my brother in law printed the plan drawing in a larger scale making it easier to work out to 1/87 scale, I started of with the stern, amazing when you have proper plans of the ship you are modelling, no more guessing from pics.

Still waiting for my brother in law to print the line drawing of the bow, stern and draft, at least I can make a start, I hope to mark and cut out the hull sides of the ship next week, since I am building a water lin ship the main deck become the keel if I have the word right.

Will be going to Bunning hard wear after we get back from our 10 day holiday up the north coast Caloundra to buy some 9 mm square dowel , needs to be 2.150 meters long.

Pic one yo will have to put some plus, pics two and three, the three containers are standard containers and the blue container is the American container being slightly higher, which one do I use.

The mistake I made before I didn't know the deck thickness between the decks , with the new plans show that , pure awesome, I a building the ship in four sections works out to be 537.5 mm's by 4, I also went a bit further into the section with the first drawing so I can draw in the funnel deck and the start of the top deck.

It will make it a lot easier as well as I have the drawing of the bridge decks and superstructure, next section I will start on .

Finely see a start on the hull of my ship next week , will get the other plan drawing next Friday.

Tony from warm down under.

Attachments:
001 a.jpg
001 a.jpg [ 92.99 KiB | Viewed 1134 times ]
002  a.jpg
002 a.jpg [ 93.01 KiB | Viewed 1134 times ]
003  a.jpg
003 a.jpg [ 90.58 KiB | Viewed 1134 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:29 am 

Hi all being awhile since I have being on the forum, was waiting for more plans to be printed out by my brother in law, the most important line drawing of the draft and hull deck measurements, found out I was out again, glad I found this on the plan and not half way through the building of the hull.

Just got the plans the week me and my wife was going on our first holiday since Easter 1990 for 10 days over Christmas day , was good to get away from the house, worked on the drawing fixing them up at night, was pretty hot, lucky we had air-con made the most of it.

The unit was in a good stop over looking the ocean , QLD Sun Shine Coast Caloundra and the main shipping channel into the Port Of Brisbane lots of huge ship went past, lots of pics, but forgot the Digital SLR camera has a 1440 zoom lens, had to use the iPhone 8 Plus camera has a 10X zoom. We likes it so much we are going back in August next year will make sure I take the big camera, perfect ship spotters dream.

I plan to build a separate draft and the water line model fit on with a tight fit and screwed, which I can hide the screws as there is a protector strip running along the length of the ship in line with the main deck, will extend the draft side a couple of inches higher as well, neighbor has a swinging pool..

The third pic is of my ship with 20ft containers stacked up four high the first two are in line with the top deck, the lat two pics of a cruse ship passing a container ship, they don't stay long in port as I got some good pics of the container ship heading back out, can't wait to go back in August. With the SLR camera no need to go down to the beach to take those close pics.

Happy new year 2018 to everyone on the forum, hop you all had a good Christmas as well, Tony from hot down under.

Attachments:
IMG_0484  a.jpg
IMG_0484 a.jpg [ 93.1 KiB | Viewed 1087 times ]
IMG_0485.jpg
IMG_0485.jpg [ 109.76 KiB | Viewed 1087 times ]
finnsun_header  a.jpg
finnsun_header a.jpg [ 54.45 KiB | Viewed 1087 times ]
IMG_0442  a.jpg
IMG_0442 a.jpg [ 95.25 KiB | Viewed 1087 times ]
IMG_0452  a.jpg
IMG_0452 a.jpg [ 108.74 KiB | Viewed 1087 times ]
Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next