The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:35 am 

Here is another project that has joined the queue.

In addition to building warships I've always wanted to build a non-military 1:72 scale ship of some kind. Not only that - but do it 'freelance'. This would allow some scope to have some fun designing it myself and to be totally freed up from the constraints of trying to replicate a real 1:1 scale ship as accurately as possible.

So here is what I've settled on. Basically - it'll be a freelance 1:72 scale multipurpose ship based on APS Models' Liberty Ship hull. Just so she doesn't look too out of place with my other models, she'll be a USSR flagged vessel taking design queues and inspiration from the vast and diverse fleet of Soviet state owned civilian ships that sailed globally throughout the Cold War.

More details to follow.

Attachments:
IMG_0056.jpeg
IMG_0056.jpeg [ 95.64 KiB | Viewed 1122 times ]
IMG_0057.jpeg
IMG_0057.jpeg [ 84.77 KiB | Viewed 1122 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:47 pm 

Hay Carl, I hope I do not make your build less 'free' but the USSR used a number of Liberty ships so you will not have to change that much. One of them, Ivan Polzunov, was actually intercepted by a US destroyer during the Cuba crisis.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:35 am 

Pieter wrote:
Hay Carl, I hope I do not make your build less 'free' but the USSR used a number of Liberty ships so you will not have to change that much. One of them, Ivan Polzunov, was actually intercepted by a US destroyer during the Cuba crisis.

Thanks for the heads up Pieter - I hadn't heard of the IVAN POLZUNOV before. Just checked her out.

My ship will be something like that (she'll certainly be painted in very similar colours), but as I said, I'm keen on building something without the constraints and limitations of rigidly having to stick to plans. It'll be fun to design my own ship and incorporate lots of ideas.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:49 am 

Hi,
welcome to the "fantasy" ships club (and that doesn't means inevitably Star Wars or Star Trek intergalactic vessels...) !
I'm really looking forward your next posts : it's so exciting to see someone's creativity at work.
I fully understand the interest of exactly replicating something of the past - and admire those who commit themselves to extensive historical search for that - but just not my cup of tea...
I'm just about to post my next project ideas and small scale mock-up, so I'm glad to see the number of creative projects growing !
Being 1/72 just bring even more interest to my eyes.

Report this post