The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1024 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: APA project
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:27 pm 

Attachment:
ship outside.jpg
ship outside.jpg [ 319.21 KiB | Viewed 1220 times ]

Rudder, stern post and prop added. APA clutter not onboard at the moment.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:19 pm 

Attachment:
APA stern.jpg
APA stern.jpg [ 389.83 KiB | Viewed 1210 times ]

Closer view of the stern without deckhouse and armament clutter.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:31 pm 

Really looking good, Tom!!! That is a different way to paint the rudder - but, it does seem appropriate. Coming along nicely!

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:18 pm 

I did find a photo of the prop being removed in dry dock and I think, will check it again, that it was two toned. Today soldered up a couple of short pipe rails, replaced one pipe rail and both inclined ladders on the fantail. If I make a (or two) accommodation ladders I will have to make a lot longer jig. Can't currently find the present jig anyway.

Amazing what a draft difference there is between loaded and empty on these ships. The ones in the bone yard up the Sacramento River look like they are drawing only about 6 feet!

Glued the aft deck house down.

Any Machinist Mates around that know what bending slab looks like? There is apparently one next to the aft deckhouse, where the engine and machine shop is located.

Hit 87 at the house today!

Looked at the Rudder/Prop photo, one really couldn't tell, looked shipyard sandblasted grimy.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:28 pm 
Keep the very good work going Tom... this project is indeed mesmerising... I will follow it through to its completion .... I love the clutter of USN amphibious ships especially the APA's and AKA's of that era.

Regards from Malta
Noel Paris

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:54 pm 

Thank you Noel!

Malta is one of those place that I have flown over, but not had a chance to explore. If there is a square inch of deck space on this one, I have forgotten some item! Today I am working on the Whelan Davits for the LCVP's. I almost wonder, with so much deck equipment as to where there was room for the troops to muster for debarkation.

Not looking forward to rigging!

Cheers: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:00 pm 

Nice weather, so cool mornings and late evenings I do a little ship work. Been making the deck cradles for the LCVP's out of heavy Strathmore paper and punching lightening holes with a variable sized leather punch. When I look at photos of WWII ships I am amazed by the gear and equipment stored everywhere. Something that I haven't decided on as yet, the scrambling nets, deploy these over the side or not? Stowed they were tightly rolled next to the gunnel.

Enjoy sunshine if you have it!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:52 pm 
Fliger747 wrote:
Thank you Noel!

Malta is one of those place that I have flown over, but not had a chance to explore. If there is a square inch of deck space on this one, I have forgotten some item! Today I am working on the Whelan Davits for the LCVP's. I almost wonder, with so much deck equipment as to where there was room for the troops to muster for debarkation.

Not looking forward to rigging!

Malta is a small island but very rich in history. USN amphibious ships from the 6th Fleet regularly visited our port of Valletta and recall, during my childhood, going onboard the APA Telfair. I felt like I was in jungle of steel wire rope with all the surrounding rigging hqanging from the masts to the derricks and davits - it sure is a big challenge but am sure will be a rewarding one once you complete the model. Good luck - will keep looking for your progress posts, Tom.

Kind regards
Noel

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:50 pm 

Attachment:
af main deck.jpg
af main deck.jpg [ 202.59 KiB | Viewed 1072 times ]

See the empty spaces abeam hatch five? Space to fill up with fueling hoses and 2 50' LCM's

Attachment:
midships.jpg
midships.jpg [ 223.9 KiB | Viewed 1072 times ]

A lot to do here, everything still stacked loosely in place awaiting some decisions on when to rig and what's in the way currently.

Attachment:
in drydock.jpg
in drydock.jpg [ 191.99 KiB | Viewed 1072 times ]

Typical in dry dock shipyard clutter with lats of stuff sitting dock side to add to the top weight!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:27 pm 
Hi Tom,

The real detail and clutter of this type of transport is excellently represented - those whelan davits are just awesome. Looking forward to seeing the LCVP's hanging out from those davits. Keep the good work coming.

Kind regards
Noel

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:43 pm 

Though the davits could hold two LCVP's, one in the cradle and the other hanging, I will just have an LCVP in the cradle at each one. At the #1 hatch two were at deck level and there was a removable cradle to nest two more above, I will just have the two at deck level. It's still lot of LCVP's!

I still go back and look for screen shots to take from "Away All Boats" as I look for details. The Aftermast had a number of guy wires and I still have to figure out their number and configuration. The Foremast had as far as I can tell had only two. The Aftmast had to be able to pick up the very heavy LCM's.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:34 am 
Hi Tom

If my memory serves me well, same class of APA's had 3 LCVP's under each of the 4 whelan davits: one stacked on another and one hanging under the davits' hooks outboard.

Will check on pictures I have regarding the number of guy wires on the aft mast for you and revert.

Happy modelling
Noel

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:54 pm 

I think I have seen two LCVP's stacked and extra one hanging outboard in the davit. I'm scratch building all the LCVP's so 15 or however many I have is plenty! I want the model to be somewhat visible under the pile of LCVP's!

The aft mast has I think six guys, two ganged to a bracket next to the bulkhead of the aft well deck on each side and one each side attached to a padeye on the deck forward. There may or may not be two more outboard.

Just aft of the bridge wing is a stack of rafts inclined at an angle, there has to be some sort of pipe rack for these but I haven't seen any photos of one.

Cheers! T.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:49 am 
Hi Tom

Can you e-mail me to my username so that I send you a few pictures I have that may assist on the guys. I am unable to post to the Forum.

Kind regards
Noel

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your username is "Noel PARIS"

Email me if you need to reset password. My email is on this page.

leanderf69@gmail.com wrote:
Hi Tom

Can you e-mail me to my username so that I send you a few pictures I have that may assist on the guys. I am unable to post to the Forum.

Kind regards
Noel

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:21 pm 

Attachment:
midships.jpg
midships.jpg [ 333.15 KiB | Viewed 1335 times ]

Current progress: Added side arched bulkheads below the bridge wings, some Davit supports, more rafts. The wooden small dowel is just to hold the Davit legs in place before glueing. Pilot house and upper deck/stack will sit on top here, note locating blocks.

The angled racks for rafts behind the bridge wings were constructed from photos kindly supplied by Noel Paris.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:18 pm 

Question for anyone who might know! The "P Boat" usually sat on the number 4 hatch with two LCVP's nested in cradles on either side. How did the P Boat sit on on top of the hatch? Similar boats have sat on the aft deck of battleships on a wheeled dolly. Was something like this used to hold the P boat and then set aside when the #4 hatch was accessed?

Thanks! Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:36 pm 

Attachment:
ship floor.jpg
ship floor.jpg [ 366.71 KiB | Viewed 1291 times ]

View from about 650' (scale) feet. One can see how the ship starts to disappear under a pile of boats and whatnot. For full LCVP compliment I would need another six boats! Most of the stuff is just piled on there for now, but you get the idea.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:32 pm 

Attachment:
guy wire.jpg
guy wire.jpg [ 208.03 KiB | Viewed 1217 times ]

These are fairly small, a pad eye to attach a main mast/Kingpost to the deck, with shackles, and turnbuckle. The main mast has as far as I can tell eight guys. Some ships maybe had more (10) or fewer.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:50 am 

Very nice detail!

Phil

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1024 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 52  Next