The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1024 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52
 Post subject: Re: APA project
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:27 pm 

Mais Non! The closest I came to being French was my first antecedent in the New World left Gurnsey in about 1720. I live in Alaska and of course enjoy the wonderful French wine and cuisine. I was quite pleased at the graciousness of the people of Paris for their kind tolerance of my somewhat basic French!

One of the unforeseen side effects of this project was the design and printing of the military deckled of vehicles. This inadvertently led to me being sidelined to resurrecting a decades old White Pass and Yukon Railroad project, printing many of their unique rolling stock items.

She badly needs a base and display case, I will probably use the keel block mounting as done by Hank Strub on several of his projects.

Best regards: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:53 am 

too bad ! Alaska is quite far from Sete (South of France) !

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:10 pm 

If I am a pro at anything, it's "Crastination". The ship sits on a table in my studio/workshop along with Caine and Whitehurst (Poseidon sits on the window sill). She lacks a base and case and final rigging. Rigging is one of my least favorite tasks. Base wise, I like the dry dock type blocks as Hank Strub has effectively used and my 1:515 Whitehurst employs. This construction spanned an era when I learned skills in 3D printing and this and many models have had numerous parts upgraded and replaced. Some of the hand made parts could still be replaced via printed ones, the anchors carved from basswood for example by Navy Stockless ones I have printed for other projects, my hand made brass propeller by a printed one?

At some point we should say enough already, maybe I could replace the anchor chain, carved from styrene link by link in the "Song" manner, but it's hidden the forward quad 40 deckhouse. A large model project can take years and sometimes our modeling knowledge and technique change (improve?). Rabbit holes as well, the deck loads was another whole project!

So I'll get to do some work on it, once I get off the mail buoy watch.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:30 pm 

My new Spousal Applicant very much likes my ship models, so eventually bases ands cases will be constructed. We are in the first stages of a major earthquake of re organizing the house. The APA suffered some minor dockyard rash to the foremast which needs repairing. I probably won't do it but if I was building this ship today I would 3D print the traditionally constructed wood, brass and turned aluminum booms and masts. The ones on the ARL came out well.

Tom

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1024 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52