The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:30 am 

Next up... ship's boats! Again I'd got hold of some resin Sirmar items but I wasn't wildly impressed with them, and frankly by this point I'm planning on 3D printing the whole ship bar the hull anyway. These were tricky to design based on limited information, but thankfully I found enough photos of each boat to make a fair stab at them all. I purposely didn't use the Sirmar items as any sort of baseline but it was interesting to compare them afterwards.

Gemini RIB, the ship's runabout:

Bosun dinghy. These were for recreational use, stable but heavy. Famously tough boats, Coventry's one was dislodged from the stowage as the ship rolled over, and washed ashore some days after the sinking. Still exists - though sadly it's just derelict outside somebody's house on Pebble Island.

Cheverton motor launch. The "Chevvy" was used for getting crew ashore in larger numbers if needed. I split this into two parts for printing - the lower hull and the upper bodywork. Sadly the resulting hull is a bit heavy so it doesn't float!

Motor whaler. This, the Chevvy and their associated davits were removed from all 42s after the Falklands war, to make room for Phalanx CIWS. Larger more capable RIBs took their place. This printed in one part, again a bit heavy, but it just about floats...

...and the finished items:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:32 pm 
What a beautiful work!
I have a hull of this ship, but the superstructure is missing. Is it possible that I can purchase the 3D print file from you? I would really appreciate it.

Report this post