The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:02 pm 

Brian:

I still don't quite understand what construction method you will be using for the hull construction. Some sort of traditional ribs with sheathing? Even the real ship with the myriads of internal divisions adding to the hull girder strength had to allow for some flexing in a seaway by having an expansion joint in the superstructure between the stacks. Wood has been a tried and true material, with plywood having great stability for major structural framing. I don't have one, but the laser cutters would be very handy for accurately cutting ribs, superstructure bulkheads and whatnot.

Just a WAG, but the hull, might be only about 10% of the project time wise. Additionally you might want to explore 3D printing as there are in many cases for smaller items many advantages to an additive as opposed to a subtractive process. For example a MK 37 or MK 38 director can be printed with all of the rails, hand grabs etc already attached. Inclined ladders, small deck items such as ships binoculars, signal lamps can also be printed as a complex, but single piece. I printed all the 5" twin mounts for my Alaska and Missouri in 1:192, but these items would also look good in 1:120.

Good luck! Tom

Report this post