The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:48 pm 

Hey Tom, thanks!

The Archer decals are 3d so you get a very nice effect. I think with paint they're going to be quite convincing.

All of the pre-war destroyers had issues with weight to some extent or another. The issue culminated with the Sims and forced the combining of the bureaus of C&R and Engineering since the two just couldn't get it together separately. The Sims class was originally designed with five gun mounts, weight was so messed up that the original mount 53 and a torpedo mount were removed. Still had issues and this lead to the new mount "53" being decapitated.

DavidP, zoom in a bit on that picture, you'll note that the top of 53 is actually a canvas cover that was stretched across the top to provide some level of protection to the crew and gun from water. You can see the same thing implemented on a number of the Benson/Gleaves class.

Slow progress, I really need to get that Fletcher finished!!

Currently on the building ways:
1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Cook Inlet AVP-36
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:16 pm 

Greetings all,

Finally got the mask cut to apply the 5-S to the port bow and decided to give it a go. Worked well enough, I did learn some tricks when working with frisket.

I think I was actually expecting the contrast to be a bit more drastic between the two colors. Still need to go back and do a little touch up to some oversprays, but generally I'm pleased with the initial results. Should look interesting when I go back later and try and apply a bit of weathering to the hull.

1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:48 pm 

Bruce:

She is coming along! Indeed the bureau's didn't talk as much to each other as much as they might! Some of this came to a head when BuOrd designed a Barbette for The Iowa's about a foot bigger than the opening that C&R had allowed for it. That the produced the fine ships they did is somewhat amazing, but they did have the advantage of the world's finest steam plants.

The dead flat hull red is rather eye catching, I like it!

Cheers: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:37 pm 

Greetings all,

Very quick update; the entire port side now has the Ms12 Mod applied. Will be getting a little touch up but its essentially done. Even had the impulse to go ahead and apply the port bow hull number.

I have decided to shelve this project for the moment. As you can see in the background, I have a Fletcher that is very close to being finished. I decided I need to focus on getting her done first, especially as I have already been planning a Bagley to go with this squadron and there is still the matter of an AVP that is about 70% done.

So, this will be the last report on this for a while. Perhaps I'll resurrect the thread at a later date.

1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:26 pm 

Bruce,

I don't know if it was a typo, but USS WALKE would have had 5-N, not 5-S applied as part of her Ms 12R(mod) camo scheme. 5-S was replaced with 5-N before most (if not all) ships that got Ms 12R(mod) schemes, which as best I can find via photos and textual records, started to be applied in November-December 1941.

Another great build, I look forward to seeing USS STEVENS being finished.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:03 pm 

Hey Rick,

Good to hear from you. I wish I could say it was a typo; but truth be told I screwed up. I finally figured it out after I started removing the masking. I kept thinking that the contrast between the two colors should have been more pronouced. It was then that I checked the bottle and realized that I had grabbed the wrong color from the cache. It was this mistake, the realization that I was contemplating another build, and the Stevens just sitting there so close to being done, and the Cook Inlet being so close to being finished that finally settled my mind.

On reflection, there's some other things that I'm not real happy about with the hull, so if, and when I pick it back up I'll just repaint the hull.....this time with the right colors.

1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:21 am 

Bruce:

Never be shy about re doing things, I've done so many times and always been happy that I did so. We have always learned enough that the result is much better. I have convinced friends into taking the major side journey in correcting the hull contours of the popular Trumpy 1:200 Iowas and despite the detour they have been glad they did. Just think how much you have learned about using frisket in doing the camo pattern! Looking forward of course to further progress, whenever this occurs!

Best regards: Tom

Report this post