The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: DMS 14
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:25 pm 

Ah may be project? The famous author Herman Wouk served in the Pacific war aboard USS Zane, DMS 14, from his experience during the war as communications officer, he penned what I think was his best book, "The Caine Mutiny". Also made into a great movie starring Humphry Bogart and other first rate actors. However that movie was filmed on a later WWII class of DMS. Zane (painted 'Zane Gray?) was a conversion of a WWII era flushed deck four piper.

As a proof of concept I printed (one piece) 1:550 hull. Which came out OK. The idea is to scale this up to 1:144 or 1:120, probably the former. With 1:144 I should be able to print this in four sections?

Tom

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: DMS 14
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:47 am 

Tom,

Great! Our Lend-Lease officers are standing by in case you need anything in 1/144 scale. Always ready to put another ship into the pond!!! :thumbs_up_1:

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:37 am 

The two fwd hull sections are printing away, another 10 hours or so, half done for this batch. I hope they turn out OK as it's a big investment in time and material.

Internet is dead this morning, blue toothing off of the "Eye-pad".

My first ship in 1:144, so we shall see, though I have printed some items in this scale before. I should be able to approach what I could do in 1:120.

Cheers: Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:11 pm 

The bow, being the shorter of the two sections is now clear of the resin and looks OK. Maybe another 5 hours to go. Hopefully the vat won't run out of resin, though it was as full as could be to start. The Mono X 6K has a feature (bug) that stops the printer if the cover is removed. I think it has a resume feature so if needs must I can try to add to the reservoir.

Ordered two more jugs of resin just in case one doesn't do.

Attachment:
Hull print.jpg
Hull print.jpg [ 339.44 KiB | Viewed 1132 times ]

On the section on the left there is a horizontal tear, repairable....

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:37 pm 

Tom,

In the Photon Mono settings there is an option to disable the cover switch so you can open it and add more resin if necessary.

I had to do this because the sensor was too sensitive and sometimes the machine wouldn't operate, even when the cover was in position.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:19 am 

Thanks Phil: Mine kept on running when I pulled the cover but stopped and resumed when I used the pause button on the front screen. Lucky beats good! Those four stackers had a surprisingly sleek hull which allowed their 36 knots or so. The front half sections came out OK, not as nice as Pascal's units, but I can make a good hull out of this with a lot of work. Maybe more resin by weekend or so. As always when one tries a new adventure, lots of learning.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:04 am 

The front sections are curing, a total of about 14" of a 26" total hull. The aft sections are slimmer and will take less resin, currently two jugs en route, so maybe by the weekend. The DMS has a lot more interesting equipment aboard as compared to the original destroyers. They did still carry depth charges, and so I would guide also 'ASDIC" to use a term, though not sure about any sound heads on these WWI vintage designs. Designed for speed (36-37 knots) they didn't have the best turning radius, a feature shared with the wartime Fletcher's.

I think this is an OK method to do a hull though I am not producing the finished detailed product that Pascal is, it's amazing I can do a hull at all with my primitive software.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:57 pm 

Quote:
On the section on the left there is a horizontal tear, repairable....

Tom

It already happened when I printed my first hulls.

These type of prints are very different from the small parts.

Probably the retract speed is too high (too much stress), 180 mm/mn is safer, and or the UV exposure time is too short. 1.9 to 2 s is good. Or the hull is too thin at this point.

Glad to see that you have embarked on this adventure! :thumbs_up_1:

•Battleship Bretagne 3D: https://vu.fr/FvCY
•SS Delphine 3D: https://vu.fr/NeuO
•SS Nomadic 3D: https://vu.fr/tAyL
•USS Nokomis 3D: https://vu.fr/kntC
•USS Pamanset 3D: https://vu.fr/jXGQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:58 pm 

Pascal: Thank you for the tips. Indeed these are somewhat different than printing small objects. I'll adjust the settings a bit when I print the stern half. I did adjust the layer thickness up from 0.035 mm to 0.05 mm which sped the printing time up by 5 hours. Could this cause any issues? I went back and thinned out the walls of the aft sections a bit as the bow sections were too thick.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:44 pm 

A few interesting things come to light, not only dual depth charge racks, but a K gun each side and a small sound head forward, about below the chain locker.

I have great stashes of 20 mm Orlikons and single 3" 50's, in 1:120, so printing a batch in 1:144 if I have enough resin.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:07 pm 

Tom,

The tear could result from a "Lift Speed" that is too fast or insufficient exposure time. Since you increased the layer thickness you may need a bit more exposure time to be sure the resin is cured. This could depend upon the opaqueness of the resin for how long the exposure should be.

From what I have read in other discussions and on the Chitubox web site, the "Retract Speed" is actually the speed the print platform is lowered into the vat to the next print position - very bad terminology. "Lift Speed" is the rate the print platform and printed part is pulled away from the FEP film.

Also, I suppose ambient temperature could effect the curing time during exposure, so if the printer was too cold that may have contributed to the tear.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:15 pm 

Attachment:
DMS Bow.jpg
DMS Bow.jpg [ 281.77 KiB | Viewed 1049 times ]

Here is the current progress of the forward section of the hull, think of it as an aggressive transom stern.

And yes Virginia, there is not only a Santa Claus there are both bilge keels and a sound head.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:54 am 

The two jugs of resin I ordered on Monday are at the Post Office, quick delivery! So maybe I can get started on printing the aft hull sections. Though the fwd hull turned out well, I learned a few things and the aft section will use half the resin as the forepart. I wish that I could embellish my hulls with the plating and other objects as Pascal does, but given my software and skills any hull at all is a miracle. If I can produce a hull that is at least as good as one that I could make from wood and proceed, I am on familiar territory.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:52 am 

Aft hull sections (2) almost finished printing, about 2 more hours but look good so far. I printed the shafting with the aft hull section and looks OK hanging like a bat from the platen. I could have printed the prop guards, which would be the best for attachment but I expect the chances of destroying them during the hull section major re attachment surgery would be excellent. Same with deck details, perhaps with more experience printing hulls they won't need so much post production work and can sport many small protuberances. For now the KISS system.

Zane actually had an interesting war carer in the Pacific, starting out at Pearl Harbor when "Some People did something" to paraphrase a notorious member of the House of Representatives. She also was in on the invasion of Guadalcanal and the adventures up the slot, more major invasions and finished her war after being demoted to AG and hanging out in the Leyte area towing targets and running mail.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:23 pm 

Attachment:
DMS aft hull.jpg
DMS aft hull.jpg [ 326.33 KiB | Viewed 969 times ]

Hot out of the tank and washed, drying on my industrial 70,000 BTU model drier. The aft two sections of hull for Zane. The mine sweeper conversions featured an unusual duck tail stern to replace the pointed, recurved profile stern of the original destroyer. As the original deck space was quite small, an enlarged decking was needed for room to handle the paravanes. On each side a paravane crane was installed with the paravanes located just forward. A number of the extra paravanes were located midships as a loss was always possible.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:17 pm 

Tom,
Looks good - I see that you added the shafts & struts, as well as the rudder & supports, etc. I know you mentioned to me that you were going to do this, I just didn't know what exactly you had planned. the enlarged screw guards and outrigger racks should be an interesting design mini-project.

Really nice - by the way, what is the hull thickness you used?

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:07 pm 

Hank:

The hull thickness varies due to the method to hollow the hull, but the target was about 2 mm. Takes a while for tase to cure and when it gets above freezing I'll set them out on the deck rail in the sunshine. Currently printing a couple of 10' diameter props and a few Carley Floats.

Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:20 pm 

Brilliant sunshine, even if 2' of snow remains on the ground. I left the hull sections outside on the deck rail to fully cure, I like the firmness that the sun gives the pieces. So I'll be able assemble the hull shortly. For this I like 5 mioepoxy, JB clear which nicely fills an irregularities and sets slowly enough that very minor adjustments can be made while it thickens. Alignment of these sections is quite critical. The bow section alignment came out well and the alignment was good.

The evolution of the appearance of the ship will change a lot as topside equipment and structure is added.

Best regards to all! Tom

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:42 pm 

Tom,

OK, on the 2mm hull thickness. That's what I've been using but as noted on my last entry I reduced to 1.5mm and will see how well that fares against UKR Neptunes, should any errantly aimed missiles head my way! :eyes_spinning:

I also have a couple tubes of the J&B Gray epoxy and will use soon enough to fill in some minor meandering "troughs" that each of the pieces seem to have molded into them. A putty knife for application should do the trick; then sanding.

Yes, once you begin topside design/construct. things will start to look more "ship-shape".

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:20 pm 

Doing this hull, it looks like nothing so much as the lower half of a fleet submarine, even about the same size! First trial propellers rinsing now. Cheers: Tom

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next