The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:24 am 

Update:
The top plate has now got the main switch and the LED's to indicate power has applied mounted.
The LED's will be connected with a resistor to the fuse and then to the - fuse so I can be absolutely sure whether a fuse is burned or not.
I dropped the - fuses for the groups, leaving the main fuse as only - fuse with it's Amps being lowered from 30A down to 7,5A since there shouldn't be any current at this fuse.
All fuses will be attached to the 12V supply, the lower voltages will be created a bit further down the line by voltage regulators which will be placed in the central computer.
This is the bottom of the plate as of now.
I had to cut a bit out of the plate so I could fix the main switch but now it's properly attached.
I also had to drill a larger hole from the under side of the plate for the LED's so they would have an edge near the top which they stick behind whilst they do raise above the top of the plate.
Tomorrow I will start wiring things up, after that the LED's will be properly attached as well so I can remove the tape afterwards.

Greetings Josse

Making a complete new Well Enhancer, again scale 1:75.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:33 pm 

Update:
I managed to get the fuses in place with indicating LED lights up and running.
Still need to add the power for the bowthrusters and for the 2 remaining groups though, at some point I short circuited the main fuses, after which I didn't seem to get power back online but after quite some thought I realised that in case of short circuit not the + fuse (30A) would be blown but the - fuse at 7,5A so replacing the + fuse won't do the trick...
After that I turned out to also have blown a LED up which I've now replaced.
All attached systems are up and running here, the red light under the fuses is the power LED on the Arduino Mega in the central computer.
A closer look at the top plate, 3 more fuses are to be added.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:51 pm 

Hey guys,

Got quite some busy months behind me, first I got news I had a new job in another region of the country, then suddenly I got myself a house in that region which required quite some work...
By the time the work on the house was done my fiancé and I decided to start planning our wedding, which is planned for this summer!!!

Managed to use Kings day to pick up the work for a bit again, see the result below:
Started work on the foc'sle deck which I will keep removable for the time being so I can continue the work inside the hull without trouble whilst I also can start detailing the deck and building the superstructure.
When I want to work inside the hull I can simple put the deck aside and continue the work in the hull.
Put the deck in its place, it fits nicely.
I got myself a new battery, a 12V 12Ah battery which I will place a bit lower then it is now which will also ensure that it is placed firmly.
I received the gearwheels which will be used to turn the thrusters.
Since these gearwheels don't really match with those on the stepper motors I will get myself some other ones for the stepper motors.
Using the powerbank which will be used to power the transmitter (the UBEC doesn't provide enough power for the Pi) I picked up fiddling with the Pi again, starting with finding it in the network again.

That's it for now.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:27 am 

Welcome back Josse,

And congratulations on all of your great news - I am sure you and your partner will be very happy :woo_hoo:

Looking forward to thge progress on WE.

Andrew
:wave_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:05 am 

Thanks Andrew, it's going great and I'm going to do all I can to keep it that way.
If love get's the first place I'm sure one can get very far.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:06 am 

Hey guys,

2 months ago I got married!!!!! After that I went on my honeymoon to the Italian Lakes.
After that it was back to work.

Last week I picked up modelbuilding again, here is the result:
Drilled holes of 1,6mm for making M2 thread in the gearwheels of both the thrusters and the bowthrusters.
Made M2 thread in the gearwheels, now I only need to shorten these 5mm long screws, otherwise they don't fit inside the Tees.
This is the line-up of how they'll be.
I decided the brass endplates are too weak, instead I'll make molds en cast the endpieces out of epoxy, using a brass rod inside to keep the gearwheels with the shafts in place.
I placed 3 walls on the deck, 2 of which have holes to have light shine trough to the doors which will be made out of clear epoxy to represent the windows.

That's it for now.

Greetings Josse

Last edited by tweety777 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:32 pm 

Congratulations!

Afraid the images won't show up for us, though - seems like they're private Google image links?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:52 am 

That sounds like a clue, I now added the photo's to a shared album, do they appear now?

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:51 am 

Alright, I fixed it, no Google for this sort of hosting.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:56 pm 
Hi.im sorry I can’t see the model ship from 21-24.i have idea for you tho.if you use the propeller shaft of the h101 speedboat I think even tho the propellers have no stuff to protect it it’s still possible to achieve higher speeds than normal.also what happened to the older one?that blew away but towed to shore?im wondering what happened to it

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:59 am 

Hi RCboat,

Speed is certainly not the aim here, the real ship is by no means fast and realism in looks and function is the aim of this project so higher speed doesn't get me to my goal here.
Apart from that, it sounds like you think about having a propshaft under the hull, a conventional propshaft.
This ship is equipped with azimuth thrusters which make here very manouvreable.
In my last post you can see the work on the bowthruster, the azimuths will be build identical but with a larger propeller.

BTW, I googled H101 speedboat and I started wandering if you're aware of the size of this project?
This is a 1,76m beast weighing some 30kg's on the waterline, I don't think the propshaft of a speedboat that small will be of any help regardless of what type of propulsion is used.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:35 am 
Ok,I know you don't understand you may think I'm acutely talking about the engine but still that's ok.dont be annoyed

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:06 am 

What is that you think I don't understand?
If I miss understood what you tried to say I'd like to learn from it.
A propeller shaft is not an engine, that's pretty obvious to me.
What Google shows me is that the propshaft from that H101 speedboat is a more or less horizontal shaft going through the back of the hull, on my boat the shaft is going vertical through the bottom of the hull, at a place where the hull isn't so deep in the water to provide room for the propeller within the protection of the depth of the hull at it's lowest part.

The vertical oriëntation of the shaft means means I will mount my engines vertical as well, connecting the engine through a drive belt with the drive shaft.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 am 
I get it now.anyway my h101(or as I call it speedyfast 11 )just tipped over and ALMOST sank.it took about 2 minites till I got it back(she was about 23 metres were I was and I wasn’t ready for a event of capsize).anyway good day.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:31 am 

Hey guys,

I took a holiday this week, partly to pick up building again.
I didn't manage to build as much as I'd hoped to but I did make an important step towards finishing the hull:
This is the newly made engine room layout. When I finished the clear plate seen in this photo and put the gearwheel on it I quickly started to realise that there might not be enough room underneath the deck to fit the propulsion the way I wanted it to be.
I therefore ordered the parts needed and watched how it would turn out, and indeed, it wouldn't fit under the deck.
Therefore I have decided to put the gears for the steering underneath the plate and place the propulsion V-belt directly above it.
The long brass shaft is a 10mm diameter hollow shaft which will be used to make the outer shaft of the thrusters and it will hold the drive shaft.
The shaft is a full 1mm thick, so I have no doubt it will be up to the job.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:18 am 

Hey guys,

Lately I've been thinking thinks over a bit, mostly concerning the bowthrusters and the rear azimuths.
I started thinking about 3D printing the needed parts, but this thought started an avalanche of thoughts, actually, an entirely new way of looking at the construction of the thrusters.
I have reached the point where I've decided I'd best put the thrusters back to the drawing board and design parts myself that are to be 3D printed.
As of yet I haven't found any time to make the design though I do have a new set-up in mind: a closed gearhouse with 1 removable end to which the propeller and needed gear are mounted. The biggest part will most likely (the design will need to make clear if this really is the best way to go) be made such that it enters the waterfree areas of the hull and be fitted there, thus I'll have much less parts whilst I keep the ability to maintain the parts.
Biggest challenge is to find some place where I can 3D print the parts for a reasonable price...

In the meantime I've made an Excel sheet in which I've appointed all the needed pins on the Arduino's to a certain function and a command so that I can use this to start programming the Raspberry Pi in the hull when I feel up to it.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:42 pm 

HI whats happening on this build ? did it ever get finished ?
chris

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:14 am 

This build has been on hold for the past year now since I've been too busy with buying myself a house and getting it the way it want it to be. Now that decorating is out of the way my wife is pregnant so I'm now making room for our child! Whenever I find the time I will continue working on this ship.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:12 am 

Hi everyone,

Lately I've been too busy with the house and my pregnant wife to get to modelbuilding but now I've found some time to get at least something done.
Recently I finally got my head around a proper set-up for the touchscreen in the transmitter.
In this thought, which has now been translated into a visual design to which I only need to add the controls towards the boat itself, I made a fundamental design change regarding the use of the joysticks.
At first I planned on giving every joystick it's own function, I changed this to having 4 rows of 3 joysticks which will have software controlled functions.
For Well Enhancer this means that all these 12 joysticks will have 3 functions for each direction.
This saves a hole lot of on/off engine controls and saves at least 4 wires for each ROV which will result in a thinner wire attached to it.
Anyways, below some pictures of the software, please keep in mind that this currently is only visual, the text of the on/off functions changes but that is all at the moment.
Making this function is the next step.
The 2 sliders will be the only PWM functions that will not be controlled by a joystick.
All engine and rudder statuses have been set to 0, currently this is just plain text, it will be controlled by the joysticks at some point.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:05 am 

HI Josse good to see you back building an glad to her you got married with a chid on the way looks like things are goin right for you but could you tell me if tweety is stil alive ?
chris

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next