The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:24 am 

Hello guys,

Right now i'm working on a model of de Well Enhancer which is currently under construction at IHC-Merwede in Krimpen a/d IJssel in Holland.
For my study i've been doing some work on it, so i thought like, well, why don't i build a model of her?
And so i thit.
It's my second scratch-build model, but she's starting to look better than my previous one.

Here are some pics of her:
As allways, first the keel. And i know that this isn't the full keel.

This gives an good idea of the sheer sizes of this model.
She's 1,76m long, sorry but i don't know it in inches or anything like it.

This picture is taken yesterday, and shows pretty good how the work is going on.
The stern is allready ready being polyestered and grinded.

The bowthruster in place.

And some pics with my previous and not yet fully completed model besides her.

I've made a start with the superstructure.
Here are some pics of the progress.

First decks 6 & 7 were cut out.
Then the rearwall on deck 6 was cut out and placed.
The front walls were cut out and placed.
This is the first wall ever filled by me :eek: :eek: :D :D
When both decks are placed ontop each other you get this.

In this thing (how do you call that?) are coming the anchors.
These parts will be the thing showed above but will come at the other side.

This is part one, part is about to come.

Greetings Josse

Making a complete new Well Enhancer, again scale 1:75.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:44 am 

Part 2:
The asipods have been temperarly put into place.

Only the starboard asipod is ready for mounting yet, and that might be done tonight.
"I said: rudder 90 degrees starboard, not one 80 degrees and the other one 100 degrees!!!!!!!!".

2 ships have gathered in the harbor of Vlaardingen tonight.
Sinking ships will now have to wait untill Well Enhancer got time to get out of way for the tugboat Josse I.
There was a small race. The Josse I appears to have some problems with her, cause 'though she's 8knots faster then Well Enhancer she isn't guite getting ahead of Well Enhancer.
Back in the harbor again.

There is also some progress on the Merlin, the instrument panel has got some holes for light to come through.

The crew has got there fase painted.
Jack thinks it's the Titanic, but fortunatly it isn't (otherwise i could better leave her on the shore).

Find the missing guy!!!

Think i'm soon going to primer some walls pretty soon, this looks rubbish on that beautiful hull.

Put the lighting in for a moment to show what it will look like.

The update mentioning the launch:
Today it was here in Holland about 5degree C above 0, so i couldn't resist launching the Well Enhancer.
To do so i've used my inflatable boat, and filled that with water, as the bathtub is way to small.
Here are the pics of the happening.
Everything ready.
It's almost a hovercraft :D :D :D :D
The stability is really very good, 'cause about no real ship can lay this deep in the water (on scale that is), and still lay straight, instead of having a half of the deck washed.
There was also some crew onboard.

Unfortunatly there was a leek, but the watertight bulkhead stopped the water from coming near the electronics i need pretty soon, only the bowthruster was in the wet compartment, so i've started putting some ballast in the hull, tested the engine's, but one didn't work because the wire got lose, and the other one didn't visibly move any water, but that might have been because of the small draught.
Here comes the ballast.
I'm very glad i've made that watertight bulkhead, 'cause otherwise i would have been needed to stop the launch much earlier.

And here comes the battery to power the engine's.

One mighty and smooth bow!!
I've been grinding and filling for hours yesterday, with as result that the hull now is as smooth as i want it.
One side of the hull.
The other side of the hull is also smooth.
What do you mean, the new model looks much smoother?
The next pics will show the comparison between the previous model and Well Enhancer.
No need to look really very closely, it's clearly visible which one is smoother.
Looks like Josse I has crashed very offently.
This isn't quite smooth in my opinion.
With superstructure in place Well Enhancer looks much mightier and bigger.
If we stand on a ladder and look over the bridgedeck of Josse I to Well Enhancer we see this.

When we walk forward, into the fo'csle and then look in the direction of Well Enhancer we see this:

It all started with a drawing of the plate-expension for the right shape.
Because of the knuckles in the walls this is very important to build it correct.
Used a hobby-knife to cut-out the windows and doors.
I will use the side-walls to set everything up correct, which is relativly easy because these walls are standing under an angle of 90degrees on the deck.
Here the drawing has been "copied" on the Evergreen which will be used to make the entire wheelhouse.
I will build the wheelhouse of 2 layers of Evergreen with a layer of transparent plastic between it to serve as glass.
The windows and doors are being sawed out because i'm afraid to break the evergreen at places where it shouldn't be.
Here the first wall is being placed.
Soon after placing the first wall the second followed.

If you look very closely you could see the crew which is hold on her with tape.

Here are the movies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4A0h0Y3Bfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYmlox7C0Fg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR-aDprw7z8&feature=channel

This was part 2, part 3 is coming soon.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:53 am 

Outstanding work, and before I get shot, a nice change to see something without guns poking out of every hole, good job, looking forward to the finishing pix :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:06 am 

And here is part 3:
Second heavy-weather test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NBjZzGX19A
Movie of the second heavy weather test.
First i needed to put the ballast in her, but by then she already was being hit by waves making it hard for her.
From the other side.
A very brave lady, giving more when she needs to in order to able to make it back home.
Pretty much list :eek:
Pretty much movement, but she moved slower then the waves, making her to hit the first wave with the bow pointing down, and the second with the bow pointed up.
Even the bulb came above the water.
Pretty much list again.
Made an new anchor, but that kept sinking.
It did keep the Well Enhancer in position.
Riding at anchor.

I bought a ROV (a RC model) for demostrations, and after having returned home i started working on the A-frame, which is under construction over here.
Since i'm using a gas-thing for soldering brass my soldering has improved quite a lot, and here is 1 of the results; the A-frame itself is mounted onto this.
My last sheet of Evergreen is being used to build the new outside of the superstructure.
When the outside is finished i will sand the wooden parts so they will fit inside it.
My idea for making the A-frame move is to build a cilinder and pump water in it at low pressure so that it will move, but that it isn't a danger on the water.
As the A-frame doesn't need to lift heavy stuff the pressure won't need to be that high.
All other progress is on the crane.
It starts to rotate now, though not quite as i want to.
A movie of the turning will come later.
Here i'm making a winch for the hoisting-cable.
The dark-blue thing at the background is my new tool for soldering brass.
The flame reaches temperatures of up to 1300degree C.

The moment of thruth coming, the crane is almost going to be placed.
And here it is in place, though it will remain temporarly as both the crane and the cilinders for moving it aren't finished yet.
The crane reaches higher then the tower.
The system for moving the crane up and down.
As you can see in the picture above the crane can turn to a very big angle, making it really very difficult to use this method to move it.
The length of the parts isn't the problem, the hole needing to come in either the crane or the foundation is a problem however.
Sanded the hull a little more due the to placing of the bulwark.
For those who have nothing to do: try to find out where every wire comes into the photo and where it stops, or leaves the photo.
The cilinder in the position for the highest angle.
And the last photo, showing the way of turning the crane.
The problem is that the crane has allways wanted to get out of position creating lots of friction on the parts that are trying to stop it from doing so.
That problem has been solved by supporting it at 2 heights, and now it is turning as the following movie will show, but it doesn't turn as it should be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8GieBQMc8s

And a movie of a weird situation on the controls of the crane:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y-RxvBWCbk&feature=channel
Forunatly i now have a new transmitter and receiver for controlling this stuff, but that will come in the next pics in this post.
Superstructure has been grinded prior to making the new outer walls which are made of Evergreen.
The new outer walls are under construction.
Started with the helodeck, this will all be grinded and straightened much better, this is a difficult place to work, as it is almost inpossible to build it level with the other parts of the superstructure when it is not aboard the model and there is not much to keep everything in place properly when building it aboard the model.
New helo?
No, it isn't.
First airbrush-work before removing the tape.
And after removing the tape.

Sailing again.

Here in Holland the 40MHz is used for modelboats, but i found some 433MHz transmitters and receivers which are used mostly for turning on and off the heating inside houses and for alarm-purposes, but i will use it for the secondary functions, and i will be able to control 45 functions with it using only 8 channels, without needing special electronics, but just by using 2 buttons per function.
Here is the receiver, which i got as birthday-gift:
There is a switch in the top of the box, but that will be moved to the dive-area in order to be able to turn it on and off without needing to remove the superstructure.
The nice thing about this system is that it uses codes which make it impossible for other transmitters on the same frequency to control my model, but any transmitter on the system can be linked to that single receiver by programming the lot.
My secondary functions will therefore allways work properly.

The rotation of the main crane has been a big problem.
To solve that i decided to check if LEGO gearwheels would fit around the PVC-tube, but while i was doing so i remembered that i also have some LEGO turntables.
I took one of those and tried to fit it in place.
That really wasn't difficult, it appeared that LEGO doesn't make those things for their own models but for the crane on my shipmodel, it fits perfectly with the smallest LEGO-gearwheel on the engine.
Here is a photo of the new stuff:
The only problem is that i will now need to build a new crane-house to connect the arm to the turntable, but that is something i wanted to do for quite a while as well, so there is about no problem left.

Yesterday i ordered a housing for the new transmitter and a bowdenkable for making the crane-arm move up and down.
Here is the servo which will used to turn up and down the crane-arm attached to the deck.
Because of maintaince on asipods, couplings and engine's i have decided to just use some large screws.
Started making the winch which will be used to hoist things.

I have also been thinking about how i could best attach the LED's in the mast, and i came out that it would be best to take the entire mast of and completly the wiring so i can turn on and off the lights in such a way that i make the signals that are ordered to use by the law.

By the way, these posts are made using updates that were posted on an other forum, so the text might not be very well for this set-up.

And now you guys are also up to date.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:08 am 

Thanks for the compliment!!

This model is my major project, so update's will come pretty regular.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:20 am 

Hello Josse That's one mammoth project and so many working functions well done .
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:55 am 

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the great compliment!!

This model is 1,76m long and 30cm wide.
On the waterline she weighs 25kg, and it takes about 28kg of water to sink her after that.

Have i mentioned why i chose to build a model of this ship?
For my shipbuilding study i needed to work at a shipyard as a part of the course, and i was working at the shipyard where this ship was being build at that time.
As a matter of fact i was to tell all the sub-contractors which work should be done at what time and more such things.
I also needed to check together with the customer if the work was done good enough.
As i was allready building models and to help keep the memories in my mind i started building a model.

Besides the extra functions i will also add interior like cabins, not the technical spaces, as that would ruin the owner's privacy, though the wheelhouse will get interior as well.
The interior is a major reason for chosing this scale, this way i would be able to build the interior good enough, but i also wouldn't have a way to big model which wouldn't fit in my room :scratch: :big_eyes: :shock:

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:36 am 

A small update
The front side of the superstructure has got a new panel added.
And here the other side has been added as well.

And a movie of a test of the winch last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mSb1IZnt1M
The hoisting will go twice as slow because the end of the rope is attached to the crane itself rather then the hook.
If it still is to fast i will lower the voltage.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:18 am 

That's indeed a impressively large project!

En welkom op deze site!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:34 am 

Thanks for the compliments!!!!

Large has both advantages and disadvantages (like everything else), advantage is that everything is larger, and therefore easier to build, and disadvantage is the trouble with transportation.

Tomorrow i'm going to the modelbuildingclub, so right now i'm placing some crewmembers which will be removed after returning home.
Some damages are being repaired and everything is made a bit more representative.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:46 am 

Hey, Josse!
Certainly your project is correctly placed here. I guess I 've overlooked the fact that you RC your ship.
Wow this ain't a pocket subject.
Do you use plans or do you go by "photo x rule of the thumb"?
KUYGW!
Guido

Never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for freedom and truth. - H. IBSEN

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk8zhb1sc4Pe3BRLqq3d-SQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:48 am 

Hi Guido,

Thanks for the compliment!

Because i have been working at the yard where she was build (she is in service for short while now) i didn't have any problems getting drawings, so i got plenty of drawings, about everything i need is visible on them, apart from changes made between when i was there and when she got into service.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:32 pm 

If you think that building a huge model will save you quite a lot of work in cramped places i got evedence that it's not:
The bowdencable has been placed, many knuckles have got into it causing me to cut yet another part of.
This place is such cramped that even the camera couldn't come close enough.
My fingers are only just able to get there.
And this is at the deck.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:52 am 

The new receiver has been set-up, and is working fine now.
Here is a movie to show the receiver working:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePPh4AGzEKE

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:48 pm 

Hello guys,

As the sailing season is over here in Holland i will soon start to fill and sand the hull even more, and after that i will add thin wooden planks which will be grinded to a triangle shape and will be added on the places where the frames are.
Due to welding the frames in place the plates are bending inwards causing the hull to not be smooth at all in real, and i have allready managed to make that effect visible, but by then the hull was still not smooth enough, and that still isn't the case right now.
I'm hoping to get this done within 4 weeks as she will then go with me to a workshop modelbuilding whoch is to be lead by me.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:27 am 

Finally i made some progress!!!
First priority right now is to grind and fill the hull, which is what i have done here.
Due to work i don't have quite that much time left for modelbuilding, so i decided to do this part by part, so i can see easily if i've done everything, and can work shorter times while still completing the work i was doing at the time.
I've moved the plate which is to guide the forces to the lower part of the hull to make the shape better.
Some more filler underneath is and it will all be looking good.
Here is more filler needed, the hull has bended inwards here, so the smooth shape which it should have isn't there.
Filler is the only right solution here.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:12 pm 

Another update:
Started to glue wooden planks in the knuckle to fill it up, that appeared to be easier to me then filling it.
When the glue has dried i should be able to sand in the right shape straight away.
The bulwark will remain this way for a while, that will be replaced by a Evergreen version later this winter.
Here the sanding-machine will be needed to sand the deck and frame that have came through the hull to the right size.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:15 pm 

I suddenly saw the light for how to make the crane-arm turn up and down properly, i will use screw-wire with an engine and place that inside the cranehouse rather then in the cilinders themselve.
Doing it that way i don't need any angle's in the shafts, and the problems with the bowdencable are also solved.
LEGO-gearwheels will probebly be suiteable for the transmission.
To make things a bit more understandeable i made a photo of the plan:
The thread will be cut shorter to fit better.
I don't yet know which of the 2 parts will be driven, but this does seem to be the easiest solution to me.
Only problem is that the arm will move up and down faster, and that i will need to have more power for the arm.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:23 pm 

Yesterday at the club i've been talking about how to make the crane work.
During that conversation i decided to change the plans of how to do so for the last time, according to this plan:
The servo will be able to turn in order to keep the right angle for the cilinders.

Greetings Josse

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:11 am 

hi there looking at your build i see you have fitted a bow thruster did it work ok ? as i fitted one in my build of uss nimitz an it had trouble working as i found out the paddle was slippin on the motor sharft did you have this problem ?
chris

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next