The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:08 pm 

Hi Brad best of luck with the build , If you have any problems then you only have to ask the questions, some one is sure to know some one who has the answer .
Dave Wooley

There is no such thing as an accurate model only degrees of interpretation
DW

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:42 pm 

Hi all,
I have just paid for the shipping, it cost me an arm and a leg! So hopefully it will be shipped in the next week. Thanks to Lee Upshaw @Scaleshipyards for putting some pretty cool stuff in the box. I will post some photo's of when it shows up.

To get the freight down i had to get lee to cut the hull hopefully i can put it back together so you wont be able to tell.

Dave, I think i will be asking plenty of questions along the way.

Brad

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:38 am 

bradjack99 wrote:
Hi all,
I have just paid for the shipping, it cost me an arm and a leg! So hopefully it will be shipped in the next week. Thanks to Lee Upshaw @Scaleshipyards for putting some pretty cool stuff in the box. I will post some photo's of when it shows up.

To get the freight down i had to get lee to cut the hull hopefully i can put it back together so you wont be able to tell.

Dave, I think i will be asking plenty of questions along the way.

Brad

Hi Brad looking forward to your posts
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:49 am 

Hi all,

While i am awaiting the arrival of my hull, i have turned my attention to the actual building of parts for the time being. I am trying to decide what path I should take.

1. Plastic or Metal
2. Making each part (like Herbieham and Norberto) or buy/diy a cnc machine and create them using cad/cam.

I like the idea of metal and cnc at the moment for;
-Accuracy
-Precision
-I spend all the time designing and press a button and it will be made. If it breaks or is not quite right I can fix that, or somebody wants to buy some.
-Probably a 3 axis machine maybe 5 if I make it myself.

Pro's and Con's?

Brad

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:26 am 

Hi Brad
well the type of material used is a particular of each modeller.
some prefer metal, some prefer plastic and some prefer wood.
i like metal and plastic.
but as i don't have special machines to make in metal so i do in plastic.
however do it in metal requires extra protection etc..
the builds in metal are more close to the real but requires attention in painting and many other things.
but certainly is more durable and more stronger.
i have plans(an dream) to build in metal but sincerely i don't know if it turns reality for the cost of lathe and milling machine.
so i am trying specialing me in plastic who is a fantastic material.
the decision is with you but the both materials are fantastic with differences of production.. :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:17 am 

The hull arrived yesterday, it has been a long time coming but it is now finally here. The quality of the hull and its parts is amazing Great work from Lee @ Scale Shipyards.

Though I am not a fan of Australian Customs or Customs Brokers which set me back another $412.50 to get it through customs and delivered.

I think it might be a couple of months before i start building the boat as I need to save more money but more importantly I am trying to move back onto acreage so that I will be able to have a lot more room to play with as I want to build a CNC machine to mill the parts for me. I have a spare PC already so that bit is taken care of next is to draw up plans for the CNC Machine and purchase the parts.

I will put up some pictures soon.

Brad

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:35 am 

Hi Brad the type of material to build the model should not be the issue only that you gain the maximum of enjoyment regardless of what material. Also it's not the tools that are important; it’s how you use what you have that is. For me a good quality knife, a cutting matt, dividers a metal safety ruler and that’s about it.
Dave Wooley :thinking: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:19 am 

Hi Brad
How about some pictures of your hull . :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:48 am 

Hi All,

Some photo's of the hull. It will be good when I will have the space to start building.

Brad

Attachments:
DSC05753.JPG
DSC05753.JPG [ 70.93 KiB | Viewed 2143 times ]
DSC05761.JPG
DSC05761.JPG [ 103.44 KiB | Viewed 2143 times ]
DSC05771.JPG
DSC05771.JPG [ 107.86 KiB | Viewed 2143 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:49 am 

Thanks Brad .Lee makes a fine hull . :big_grin: I see it has passed the stress test . :lol_pound:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:14 am 

Hi,

please keep us updated on your build!

The hull looks very fine! :thumbs_up_1:

Bye,

Bernd.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:12 am 

Hello Folks,
Well it has been quite a while since my last post. As with most people, Real life does tend to take over any side projects. My model has never been far from my thoughts but has never been easy to action anything.
I have decided to go down a different path. I have purchased a 3d printer and I am going to print the parts out for my model. See below for the JPG image that I will be printing on the weekend.
I will also try and print part of the railings as well. I am in a testing phase at the moment to see how it all comes together. I have started a 3d printing business and I am getting started with 3d printing the Bismarck.

I also have some space in a factory as well where I can work from as well, so hopefully now there will be some traction with this build.

Attachments:
radar.jpg
radar.jpg [ 32.29 KiB | Viewed 1754 times ]
radar 2.jpg
radar 2.jpg [ 16.61 KiB | Viewed 1754 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:43 am 

Hi Brad i wish good things for your project. interesting 3D printer job.
when possible please show us a few of your work.
:wave_1: :thumbs_up_1: :cool_2:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:59 pm 

Very cool! I've got this Scale Shipyard stuff too; I bought someone's project off ebay before they even started it and am patiently awaiting the day I get going on it.

I see you've taken the mandatory "Daughter in the Bismarck hull" pics too!

I've very interested in how your project goes, keep us updated! :woo_hoo:

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:12 pm 

Well the radar was a bit of a disaster, primarily because of the settings. If I could find where it ended up I would put a picture here. I have printed one of the main guns barrels to see how it would turn out and it turned out pretty good. I will post a picture of it soon.
As for the radar, I will make it into a few pieces and glue it together as it will take less time, less plastic and look better.

Cheers,

Brad

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:41 pm 

Hi Brad,
first congratulation to your project. Have you started printing parts yet? I have been to a friend that printed parts but then had issues with painting them, after a short while paint where flacking off. You may like to try this first.
Are you going to build the docking keels and all the water intakes?

I think I have some information for you in general, please send your email via PN, I will then send you some information.
Hope to see a stunning model description.

Best of luck,

Andreas

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:59 pm 

Have you been following Norberto's build of a 1/100th BISMARCK? His craftsmanship is amazing.
Please post as much as you can as my build is stalled and I need lots of motivation...

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:39 pm 

So its been quite a number of years since I had last done a post.

BUT, There is progress.

A couple of years ago I had had enough of what I was doing as a career, and decided to jump headfirst into the 3d world of 3d scanning, modelling and 3d printing. The business is getting bigger every year.

To that end, I still had my 2 sets of bismarck 1/100 plans (which i have had since 2002), one being a set of nick fox and i think the other are Hans Gally. Anyway, last week I spend a bit of money and got those digitised into PDFs. That did not go without hiccups, I have to go back as they messed up a couple of pages which to do that is about 3 hours out of my day. My next step, which I have already started is to put them into AutoCad and begin to turn them into 2d models then into 3d, then 3d print them. At present I have four 300 x 300 x 600mm printers which will print a 1/100 scale hull quite nicely. As an aside, I did spend some time trying to track Nick Fox down to see if he could supply me with the plans that he had drawn up, but I think he is retired.

I will also be able to do other scales as well once I have all the designs completed. When it comes to the hull, I am looking at being able to modify the insides of it to house whatever could go in, i.e strip leds, batteries, all the RC gear.

I am getting a HP Jetfusion 3d printer early next year when it is released in Australia, so that will help with the small parts that may struggle to print on the FDM Machine.

So the bismarck is a start, I may jump onto other ships once I get this one done, probabaly Yamato

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:58 pm 

I have done a bit more research in hull design in CAD, The best way for me to move forward is to sketch each station (half) then mirror it. From there, I can put a plane at each interval in relation to the relevant station location. Once the sketches are in I just have to loft my way the body to create the ship hull.

Most of it I am ok with, the hard part for me will be the scaling in the drawing side and make sure that each is exactly the same scale.

Hopefully in a few weeks, I will have a graphical update.

Cheers,

Brad

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:22 am 

The Table of Offsets is far and away the most accurate way to draw station cross sections in CAD - if you have it.

You should always work in 1:1 scale in CAD and not try to scale each and every dimensions. Then when the design is done just redefine the scale of the drawing. This produces far fewer errors.

This is especially true if you are planning 3D printing. You can rescale the original 1:1 drawing to any scale, so it can be used to produce designs in multiple scales.

Phil

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next