The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:23 pm 

Hi Guys,
Over 1 year since I last posted! Yikes!
I recently purchased some custom made CFA DDG funnels. They are made by Nelson Petteys, and are a real time saver. When I consider how slow I've been on this build; especially!
I heard about these from another SoCal big scale modeler. I jumped on it! So, I spent Saturday night a weekago at Dave's house and got these funnels attached. I added them to the rest of the superstrcuture with screws, as I don't want to detach them any other way. Just too much to do on this thing!
I told Lee Upshaw
Also, Darren from HawkGraphics made a custom 1/96 DDG-22 decal sheet for me. Darren, You're are a true ambassador of Model Quan!
I'll post some pics in a few.....
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:38 pm 

Tony Bunch wrote:
Hi Guys,
Over 1 year since I last posted! Yikes!
I recently purchased some custom made CFA DDG funnels. They are made by Nelson Petteys, and are a real time saver. When I consider how slow I've been on this build; especially!
I heard about these from another SoCal big scale modeler. I jumped on it! So, I spent Saturday night a weekago at Dave's house and got these funnels attached. I added them to the rest of the superstrcuture with screws, as I don't want to detach them any other way. Just too much to do on this thing!
I told Lee Upshaw
Also, Darren from HawkGraphics made a custom 1/96 DDG-22 decal sheet for me. Darren, You're are a true ambassador of Model Quan!
I'll post some pics in a few.....
Tony

Hi Tony Good to see you posting on scratch build again :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:35 pm 

Hi Guys,
Dave,
Forgive me.
Here are some shots of the new funnels in place. They look funny without all that they will be attached to. The funnel castings are hollow, measure out correctly and have no extra detail, (that could have been added on....poorly), so I get to embelish as I see fit, (preferred). Until I get them back off in order to add on all of the attaching bulkheads and decks, they will remain attached as a reminder to me...............finish this Dxxn thing!
Bow on......
Closer........
Closer still.....
Beneath the 01 deckhouse.......
Lee Upshaw mentioned finishing my DDG-22 model for next years IPMS Nats in Ohio. I said, "you bet it'll be finished, and even though that WEM 1/350 model is a PITA, it will look good when finished". Lee said, "I was NOT referring to any 1/350th scale model!
I said, "you mean..............this one????????"
Uh huh.
If I get this model finished by this time 5 years from now, I'll be ecstatic.
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:23 am 

I spent two years (double cruises and an overhaul period) on Claude V Ricketts (DDG-5). Looks pretty good so far... just a couple of things. CFA class were always heavy in the stern due to the aft 5-inch and missile launcher. the aft end of the deck house was rounded to go around the magazine for the missile launcher, in fact there is a very small gap in the structure around it. They were not bad sea boats but didn't enjoy beam seas and could be pretty evil when stern the seas (but isn't everything), lots of weight topside with ASROC, mount 5-2m and missile mount, along with 40 air search radar. Since the domes were a bit of an add-on there were two of them and they did have a positive effect on the ships ride in high seas in that they kept the bow from pounding so hard. I have been waiting for your update on the O-3 level with skivie wavers office (signal shack) and gun director. I am not sure is DDG-22 was every given the service life extension that we got but we could fire harpoon, although most of the class could fire them from the ASROC launcher, we could fire them from the missile launcher and had as many a 43 cells available for them. I am also curios where you are going to get a mk-13 missile launcher (one armed bandit) from? I know that most of the CFA's did not get the SLEP overhaul when they moved up the production rates of the Arleigh Burke DDG's.
CVR was a great ship with a good skipper who knew how to handle her and the crew to get our very best. We would have followed him into heck and did in both Grenada and Beirut.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:18 am 

Hi Guys,
Fooman,
Thanks for your interest and your input of which I deeply respect. Bravo Zulu.
This 1/96 scale model has been and on-and-off project since December of 2005. I have a "large scale" modeler friend whom has completed 3, ( that's three!!!), 1/96 scale models since I started this. Everyone knows that I'm lagging. I'm also building DDG-22 in 1/350 scale. It is the WEM resin kit and has been changed in almost every way, but that's another story... viewtopic.php?f=49&t=22234&start=0
Mk13 Tartar launcher? Got one in resin along with $200 worth of other resin cast accessories. Truth is, today there are higher quality castings available in 1/350th scale. BUT!!! These can be changed and made better! Now, finding an SPS-40 is another matter! The cylindrical base structure for the Mk13 launcher is not yet made. I had to enclose the 01 deckhouse at the rear with some temporary combings to keep water out. Under ideal conditions, I can run this model for a couple of hours without any water getting inside. Oh but if I have to go full reverse suddenly for whatever reason, the stern is buried rather quickly. This model, (believe it or not), has many, many scale miles on it already. See the boot-topping? Aside from my choosing the wrong type of black paint, some of that paint came off in the water, and FROM the water's action. This model is pretty fast. It can cover it's hull length 2x in a few seconds. Great bow wave too. At flank speed, the bow wave at its' highest point nearly washes the forecastle about a third the way back from the tip of the bow. Back to the title, "Incomplete Fleet runs". That's the beauty of the TF96, (Task Force 96), incomplete fleet runs. Most of the guys whom build these models are guys my age, (40's or so), and don't have the time to just build and build like a madman. Some do, most don't. Most of the ships are incomplete at these runs, and that's pretty much the norm. The guy I mentioned above builds whenever he can, and he gets things done! The exception.
I'm not certain about a DDG-22 SLEP and if so when. I do know that DDG-22 ended up with the SPQ-9 fire control system; which not all DDG's got.
I do know that in 1972, DDG-22 had, "specials', for the ASROC system. I don't know about the later set up with DDG-22, as I spend what time I do have trying to nail down all of the 1972 ship specific details. There are MANY more pics of Bennie Sweat from later on in her career. Thanks once again to Bill Halvorson, (DDG-22 vet), for sending all of those most excellent WestPac72 pics to me for study. I still have them, (for a scond time), and am still using them.
As a show of my appreciation, I have promised my long since finished 1/700 DDG-22 dio, "Gun Run Tonkin Gulf", to Bill for being so cool and now being someone I'd definitely call a friend. Thanks Bill.
Fooman, I appreciate your waking me up and giving me something to write about on this forum.
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:05 am 

Tony she is very nice for partially incomplete. You might try to see if you can find a piece of PVC pipe for the missile mount base, since there was no detail beyond the catwalk around the mount itself.

Most of the CFA's after, I believe, DDG-12 were built with the -9 gun director and a different ASROC handling crane.

Don't forget the windows on the ASROC shack, and if your going to go crazy, the ablative coating on the deck for both ASROC and O-1 around the missile mount, I can remember how damned slick that stuff got when it was wet up there.

I always find it amazing how accurate scale handles compared to full size. There was a story on a R/C television a couple of years ago about a guy with a scale SR-71 blackbird. The blackbird has three tires on the main gear and this model would shred the middle tire of the mains requiring partial dis-assembly to replace it. After about three of these in one day, the owner was getting frustrated when he noticed a guy wearing a Lockheed ball cap leaning on the flight line fence laughing. Irately, the modeler asked what was so funny, he received the reply that the gentleman in the ball cap was in fact the test pilot on the full scale blackbird[i],[i] and that the fullsize would quite flying at about 105 knots and come down with a bang. During the test flights it was discovered that the two outside tires on the mains would flex their sidewalls from the shock and shred the middle tire, and thus in the actual bird the center tires are solid![b][b] When the modeler replaced the middles with solids he solved the problem, it always blows my mind when the scale results in the behaviors as the full size.

At flat out, the foc'sle could get a little wet just forward of the breakwater especially in an kind of seas. Make sure to close the hatches on the breakwater forward! As part of securing for sea we would remove the two fire hoses on the front of the deck house and move them into the breakers. We even lost both of the fire hose strainers on the foc'sle during some really bad weather, wave just broke the welds on the mounts and washed them overboard! We submitted a change to have them moved while we were in the shipyard but I don't recall what happened to that. We steamed with the German destroyers Rommel, and Lutjens (both CFA's) but I don't recall what they did solve their problems with that either.
As for her being wet backing down, remember the fantail on a CFA is only about 8 or 9 feet from the waterline so wet was a fact of life backing down or in any kind of seas. We had a sliding scale to determine where the aft lookout would stand his watch; on the fantail to about 10 foot seas, on the missile mount catwalk to about 15, and by the aft refueling rig beyond that. In one really bad couple of days (on the edge of a hurricane with the NATO battle group being commanded by a Dutch admiral) we were standing watched in life jackets, foul weather gear, and a safety harness tied to the after refueling rig, more than 50 feet from the fantail and one deck level up! we lost the one of the radio antennas and had to hit the tender to have the antenna on the air search checked since it had developed a fault indicating that several of the mounting bolts had snapped, finally we lost the fires in the forward engine rooms from a nice 25 foot plus wave down the forward stack! Made for a fun night standing helm watches! :thumbs_up_1: We loved the NATO cruise but hated that damned North Atlantic weather! :woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:27 pm 

Hi Guys,
Fooman,
Very interesting!
I can surely say, that your real life experience and details you've shared make the world of ship modeling seem more realistic and worthwhile. The operations end of things is pretty much missing in the world of static modeling. Enter the RC modeler; a modeler that must have some operations exercise to experience. The static modeler can do his best to mimic this in scale dios, and that's a trick in itself. Each ship modeler magnificently expresses himself!
These 1/96 models are pretty cool; especially when you get a group of ships in formation. Of course RC is not limited to 1/96 scale. At the model yacht pond in San Diego between Pacific Beach and Sea World, we have fun runs on most Saturdays'. Unfortunately for me, I'm a blue collar Auto care service manager whom works most Saturdays! Anyway, when we get a sizeable group of ships together, some of the guys will form up and do a walk-around the ponds' perimeter. Steve V is an active USN quartermaster and would coordinate the various multi-ship maneuvers. Watching 3 or 4 ships executing turns at the exact same time is pretty cool. That's just part of the fun of running RC!
Keep the stories a comin'!
December 6th at Santee Lakes, we'll be having our largest TF96 fleet run of the year. Last years' gathering mustered 26 running models of all sizes...in 1/96 scale. From 111" BB's, (like Lee's BigJ and James' Iowa) to the 12" tug, "Sasquatch", and all that was in between. This is a day of days for the RC ship modeler. My DDG will be there!
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:54 am 

get some footage of maneuvers especially of the WWII ships bet, it will look a lot like film of pre WWII. The advent of radar and 'special weapons' made close quarters maneuvering an old-fashioned exercise that we almost never did.

Got a chance to do a WestPAC and steamed in the sea of Japan with the old Midway's battle group and due to her almost constant encounters with the USSR naval forces out of Cam Rahn Bay they were very good at it. It spooks you when the carrier you're with gets hyper active about ranges of less than 1,500 yards, and here comes Middy at three or four hundred! Her battle group had their collective stuff in one sack because of the aggression of the local opposition commander and they looked more like an NFL defense on a jailbreak blitz than a carrier battlegroup sometimes! Damned Russians used to love to get in people's way, especially when you were dealing with aircraft. Wish we could have had our act together more like that. :big_grin:

P.S. most common question asked by civilian on a Standing Naval Forces NATO cruise, "are you carrying Nuclear weapons?" Answer; "We are capable of carrying and using special weapons. That being said we can neither confirm nor deny the presence of special weapons aboard this ship at this time." you would answer that question about 25 times a day and got really really good at that damned quote.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:52 pm 

This might be the oldest still in progress build on the forum: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:36 am. This one has been around for a long time. :big_grin: Its been a while and my memory is horrible but is this going to be for RC?

TommyL.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:31 pm 

Hi Guys,
Tommy,
Yes, this is an R/C model.
I have operated this model much more than I've worked on it!
Clean the prop shafts. Recharge the batteries in the transmitter and in the model..............and go!
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:14 pm 

Hi Tony,

Let me start by saying that she looks awesome. This thread is of particular interest due to my Conyngham build. I've decided to go 1:96 instead of 1:72. I just don't have the room for a model that big right now. BTW, I found drawings, thanks for your help! Again, beautiful model! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:47 am 

Hi Guys,
Chris,
This build is indeed a "marathon" build. I also build static models, so there is some allegiance divided.
I have many in progress build pics on this thread, and many more not posted. So, if you need to see any progress pics that might help you to get started, let me know.
Take care, Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:08 am 

Well c'mon then, let's see some recent pix! At least some of 'er out on the waddah!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:31 am 

found a couple of links specific to the cfa's
http://www.destroyerhistory.org/coldwar ... class.html
and this one
http://www.charlesfadams.com/

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:32 pm 

Hi Guys,
Knowing that yesterday's TF96 Fleet Run was upcoming more than 6 months ago, I finally took it upon myself to get SOMETHING done on this project before showing up. In addition to the recent funnels installation, I decided to add on a weapon or two.
I already had the weapons bagged and ready to assemble; then install. That smelly resin needed to be used!
Step One: Mt51 and its installation.
It took me a few days to hollow this thing out, prep the parts and assemble. I just CAN'T do anything fast!

Step Two: ASROC Launcher and installation.
It took me a day and an evening at Dave's to get this thing prepped, assembled and installed.
There must be numerous differences between ASROC launchers; specifically ancillary external minute details. This one differs from the pics from 1972 DDG-22.

Step Three: Mt52 base.
It only took me an hour to add on this simple but accurate detail. Mt52 sat upon a round base atop a square base. Height checked to Buships dwgs as too tall, so I did some serious sanding to the resin round 5"54 base. The 5" mount atop the pad was borrowed for this pic. I only finished 1 5" mount.

How it looks today:

Santee Lakes TF96 Fleet Run action shots of DDG-22 in the water.
The Santee Lakes fleet run was the biggest ever!!!

Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:00 pm 

never quite realized how awkward the stacks are without the aft superstructure on. Looks like you had a good time at the pond. One minor detail is the ejection scuttle on the guns above the barrel (if I remember right). If you are going to be crazy about things like the mounting plate for mount 5-2 don't forget the dud jetison for the missile mount, Not sure where it was on the one armed bandits but on ours we had one on each side.
Foo

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:33 pm 

Hi Guys,
Hey fooman,
When I get on with this project further, I'll finish Mt52, then the Mk13 launcher. The 5" casing chute was directly beneath the barrel, and oh yes there are a number of details left off the guns so far.
In time, the superstructure will start looking more like it's supposed to, adding on the weapons was a distraction that kept from doing SOME REAL WORK!!!
Thanks for your interest!
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:17 pm 

Looking good Tony . I look forward to seeing more work on your CF Adams class? :thumbs_up_1:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:33 am 

forgot where the ejection port was on the MK42 5-54 (CFA's) on the mk45 (sprucans etc.) it was above the barrel! Sorry bout that.......Not sure where it is on the new 5-60cal probably above like the last the 54's

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:17 pm 
Scale Shipyard
Scale Shipyard

Hi Tony:

She looked good cruising with my New Jersey BB-62 on Dec-6th.

You have been on the DDG-22 for 3 years, my New Jersey will be 27 years old next month. :thumbs_up_1:

World's Largest Supplier of Large Scale Warship Hulls and Fittings
http://www.scaleshipyard.com

Last edited by Scale Shipyard / W.L.U. on Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next