The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:20 am 

Hi Guys,
Here are some pics from the DDG-22 reunion taken by one of the members. I was introduced as a modeler and was asked to speak to the group. I talked for a minute or two being sure to give credit and thanks to Bill H for inviting me. I had a good time talking, "shop", with the former sailors.
Here I am introducing myself.....the fellow to my right lives a mile from me; who knew?
Attachment:
96DDG-133.JPG
96DDG-133.JPG [ 81.82 KiB | Viewed 1776 times ]

Here I am showing one of the 96 scale 5"54 gun mounts..........it fits in the palm of my hand...
Attachment:
96DDG-134.JPG
96DDG-134.JPG [ 92.42 KiB | Viewed 1776 times ]

Here are some pics of the more recent work performed; including some filling, mast work and forecastle details being added.
The tripod mast is still in its' infancy, but is at least a feature that adds some detail that was so sorely missing before. Each time I bring this model to an RC gathering, i try to make it obvious that I've been working on it. The tripod mast assembly does show this quite clearly. After all, I've been at this project since December of 2005!
Attachment:
96DDG-130.jpg
96DDG-130.jpg [ 145.85 KiB | Viewed 1776 times ]

Here is the model as it looks today; in its' patchwork paint job.......
Attachment:
96DDG-131.JPG
96DDG-131.JPG [ 143.4 KiB | Viewed 1776 times ]

Here is the forecastle with a bunch of resin piece-parts that have been in a plastic bag for years. This definitely reminds me of doing this same thing on the WEM 350 kit. The paintwork is yet done, but that will come later.....
Attachment:
96DDG-132.JPG
96DDG-132.JPG [ 148.91 KiB | Viewed 1776 times ]

I have to say that this project has been fulfilling all along; being able to run a model on the pond/lake in spite of its' unfinished condition really adds a dimension to modeling not offered by static builds. Why is it then that I have so many static kits in my closet???
I may not post again for a while, as I have other pressing projects/commitments to follow through on.
Thanks for letting me share, Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:43 am 

Hi Tony
the works are excellent :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:02 am 

Thanks for sharing Tony( gotta put down these carriers)! :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:30 pm 

Looking great Tony... :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:46 pm 

Good to see the DDG again, Tony.

I'm going to be out San Diego way in late October for a writer's conference. We should do lunch.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:05 pm 

Hi Guys,
Devin,
It's a date.
I've been running this thing, but not getting a whole lot finished.
Alas, I spent a few hours last Friday night installing the propeller guards that I've had for a couple of years.
KTB made the prop guards for me, and they're sweet!

Also, the last time at Santee Lakes caused me to take a swim; when I got fouled in a fisherman's line. The ship looked funny going backwards, and I
thought I'd lose her. I wasted no time jumping in about the time the 01 deckhouse in its' entirety parted company with the rest of the ship.
Nothing sank, but I was quite winded by the time I got ashore. Here I am still soaked and a little chilled. Beside me is my buddy and expert 96 modeler, Dave Manley.
My brother video'd my swim...........see link below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOmVf2PvwrM
Thanks for your interest, Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:10 am 

It looks as though your going to take the record for the longest build on MW,s, thats the biggest problem with sailing them before finished, they never get finished, keep up the good work. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:32 am 

Hi Guys,
I've been at this project off and on the last two months, and I've some decent progress pics to share. I should first start off with the reason for my renewed interest in this particular project. I was invited to bring it along as a table top display piece; I took this model and all of my smaller Adams class DDG's to the reunion of the USS Berkeley; DDG-15. The current president and former VP of the IPMS San Diego chapter, Mr. Rex McCoy is a friend of mine and he served aboard DDG-15 in the early 70's. Rex did a cool power point and oral presentation about 2 years ago before the IPMS San Diego group; discussing all manners of destroyer life, Adams class DDG's particulars and life aboard ship during Operation LinebackerII.
So, I re-painted the entire model: upperworks are now all one color, the boot topping was re-done and the hull bottom has a fresh coat of automotive red primer.
I constructed the SPS-39 radar and platform built by scratch using the drawings I got with the hull and using photos as close up detail referenc of the radar and the base. Lastly, this coming Saturday we'll be having our annual, "Pearl Harbor Remembrance Run", at nearby Santee Lakes. We have had as many as 68 running 96 scale R/C models build by some 32 modeler's; that was 2010. This year, for the first time, we've been asked to stay after dark and to participate in the, "Lighting of the Lakes", holiday celebration. That means adding lighting to our models. I had in mind adding the normal ships running lights and maybe some kind of Christmas type lighting as well. So, as it stands, I have bridge interior lighting, (a nice red glow from within the bridge), and I still need to permanently add on the red and green navigation lights. I also added on the hull numbers too. Lastly, I have acquired an SPS-10 radar and base from ScaleShipYard, (the radar is from Tom's Modelworks), and I got an SPS-40 from HomePort Models that I hope to have completed and in place by this weeks end.
Here ars some shots taken in the last day or so showing work performed on the aft superstructure; as previously described...
Attachment:
96DDG-22017.jpg
96DDG-22017.jpg [ 191.39 KiB | Viewed 1189 times ]

Here's the aft s/s....
Attachment:
96DDG-22025.jpg
96DDG-22025.jpg [ 197.57 KiB | Viewed 1189 times ]

Here's another....
Attachment:
96DDG-22038.jpg
96DDG-22038.jpg [ 198.62 KiB | Viewed 1189 times ]

And another...
Attachment:
96DDG-22035.jpg
96DDG-22035.jpg [ 193.04 KiB | Viewed 1189 times ]

Lastly, with some "period lighting" Ho Ho Ho !
Attachment:
96DDG-22042.jpg
96DDG-22042.jpg [ 187.39 KiB | Viewed 1189 times ]

Attachment:
96DDG-22059.jpg
96DDG-22059.jpg [ 192.57 KiB | Viewed 1189 times ]

Th th that's all for now, folks!
Thanks for letting me share, Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:21 am 

Very nice progress Tony... :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Have to get back to my DDG too, but I will be cheating a little by getting myself a ready made superstructure... :heh: :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:59 am 

Looking good, Tony!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:05 pm 

Hi Guys,
Thanks a Bunch!
I'll add a couple of images of the work I did on the port side of the aft s/s. I meant to show the added surface detail for the port side and did not. The pics I have of DDG-22 from 1972 were clear enough that adding detail to both sided of the aft s/s was not too difficult, but did differ from the drawings I got with the hull.
Also, the most accurate and completely scratch-built Yamato I've seen is in the background.
Attachment:
96DDG-22040.jpg
96DDG-22040.jpg [ 195.17 KiB | Viewed 1161 times ]

Here's another of Dave's Yamato...
Attachment:
96DDG-22054.jpg
96DDG-22054.jpg [ 196.34 KiB | Viewed 1161 times ]

Dave started on this project 20 years ago and went at it whole hog about 16 months ago. Now, it's a running model that displaces 220 pound of water and measures to 108" overall. That's the wheelbase of my 74 Dodge Dart Sport! The hull skin detail, (even across the hull bottom), has to be seen! Truly a masterpiece of understatement! Dave is in my opinion one of the best modeler's I've come to know. Loren Perry has said the same thing to me once.
I digress!
Here's the aft s/s, port side as it now looks...
Attachment:
96DDG-22028.jpg
96DDG-22028.jpg [ 183.86 KiB | Viewed 1161 times ]

another...
Attachment:
96DDG-22031.jpg
96DDG-22031.jpg [ 197.02 KiB | Viewed 1161 times ]

Devin,
The more I think about it, the more I could come up with a, "correction plan", for L'Arsenal's 350 DDG kit/to DDG-6. I'm not so sure another DDG kit will come along anytime soon, as DDG-22 has not sold nearly enough to make viable another kit. If it takes 10 years to sell 100 copies, then...."it ain't worth it!" Bummer, I know.
Take care guys, Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 pm 
Tony I noticed one thing on you CFA model you may want to check out. Where the forward stack joins the 03 level the 03 level aft profile follows the same angle as the stack. This makes the 03 level slope forward at its base. I have photos of this if you want me to email them to you.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:59 pm 

Hi Wes,
I'd very much like to see your pics.
email me at larsenal_usa@cox.net
I was having more trouble with the the horizontal sides of the fore-funnel fairing into the rear facing sides of the fore funnel's deckhouse. I could see no good pics defining this on DDG-22; from 1972 or thereabouts.
I am indeed curious if we're actually talking about the same thing.
If you're referring to the aft facing funnel base where it meets the aft of the 03 deckhouse continuing down to 02 level aft face, I thought I got that close enough, but I'd love to see your pics as none of the work I've done can't be re-done.
Thanks very much, Tony

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10