The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:06 pm 

Oh boy.. oh boy... oh boy...

I sure hope Santa.. I meant Lee has some good news for me...

Thanks a lot Tony, it has been nice talking to you.. Very nice...

The prop guards are awesome... I do not know about US navy but we used to wrap rope around the horizontal bars in order to protect them from scratches and paint wering off...

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:02 pm 

As much as I learn from all the builds on the board, I learn about motivation and continued progress/improvement watching threads like this where I see incomplete ships being enjoyed. Operated, enjoyed, showed off to friends and fellow builders then taken home and more work toward the final goal.
Lesson for me. Get it built enough to get on the water, skills, details, missing information can will develope during construction but enjoy it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:36 am 

Hi Guys,
SSN,
Well stated. I have had more fun with this model than any other I've built, and it's not even finsihed! This model already gas many, many scale sea miles.
Latest effort:
Bridge top deck house adjacent the fwd funnel. This is one of those ship specific assemblies, as DDG-22's was different from most of her sisters. This deckhouse had the tripod mast center leg descending through the fwd facing bulkhead; whereas many Adams DDG's had the center mast leg penetrating through the center of this deckhouse.
see pics....
This time, I used polystyrene...,much easier.
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:30 pm 

Hi Guys,
Aft superstructure construction begins. The Nelson Pettey's resin cast, (hollow), Adams Class Funnels really sped along this process. I got tired of looking at my DDG running around with naked funnels.
Step one was to determine the attack. I decided to make the inner structure and add on the external platforms etc.
Gotta to go to my second job.....see pics...
Thanks for letting me share, Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:28 am 

Hi Guys
After two days of effort, the aft deckhouse is finished. I will not be adding any detail just yet, as I'm just trying to get all of the s/s sub-assemblies finished with the basic construction. Having 1/96 scale plans and photos galore sure makes this job a lot easier.
Gotta go to work now.
Tony

Last edited by Tony Bunch on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:33 am 

Hey Tony good job in styrene
yes this material is very good to build...
i am using this too..
:smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:59 pm 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

Hmmmm. :thinking:

Your work, here, is tempting me, Tony. I'm starting to have positive, second thoughts about a 1/96 AVP. You're making it look too, easy.

But, I still don't have any desires for an R/C model. Just a static one.

Have fun at the 1/96 Regatta, this weekend! Tell Joseph that I say, "Hi!"

Photobucket
https://app.photobucket.com/u/carlomaha

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4XXgrwKkhbIHgFtIYhAg

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:05 am 

Looking good, Tony! Looking forward to your rendition of the aft deckhouse; that's where I spent most of my time on Barney (when I wasn't on watch in after-steering; don't ask) as Missile Radar was on the upper deck of it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:12 pm 

Hi Guys,
The culmination of last weeks' efforts!
In a couple of pictures, here is 96 scale DDG on the water with 96 CLAA Atlanta and 96 BB62 New Jersey.
I'll probably start a post of the picture post forum with event pics..
Carl,
Joe says Hi!
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:55 pm 

Hi Tony Looks like you had a good day . :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:32 pm 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

Tony Bunch wrote:
Carl,
Joe says Hi!
Tony

Thanks, Tony!

I look forward to more photos of the day's events.

Photobucket
https://app.photobucket.com/u/carlomaha

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4XXgrwKkhbIHgFtIYhAg

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:43 pm 

Very nice Tony.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:18 pm 

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the input(s).
Carl,
Joe was thinking of just sending a hull to you. My advice to you; let him! That is a nice but not too big hull.
Friday night at Dave's, I spent some time working on the Mk68 director to put atop the freshly built deckhouse for it. Bad News! Dave's workshop's carpet monster had its' way. Darren, Dave, Kurt, Steve V. and I all looked for these tiny 1/96 scale resin bits; all to no avail. It was great to see Darren from Canada. Kurt from warshipmodelsunderway.com, and some of my local boys too! I lost a key component to attach the radar dish atop the Mk68 director's top; hence the missing radar in the pics.....and the telescopic range finding, "ears", too.
When Lee and I had an all out race for top speed, I got by his New Jersey! Both models were moving along waaaaaaay too fast for the scale. These two unfinhsied models looked pretty darn good in a long straight run.
We call it, "ludicrous speed".
I have to get back to a 1/700 CVS-14 project now, so there may only be sporadic posts here.
It was waaaaaay fun, and I'll post any worthy pics sa soon as able.
Thanks, Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:23 pm 

Hi L'Arsenal,

Am new to the board, only post no 2. I am about to start a a 1/96 scale Toconderoga build (CG), not scratch, but a good way to warm up at this level.

I served in HMAS Brisbane (DDG 41) and whern I have finished Tico, I want to start Brisbane, but from scratch. I see you have some drawings. Can you let me know where you got them from please? I also need to source some drawings of an Ikara missile launcher. Our DDG's did not carry the ASROC system.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:13 am 

Hi Guys,
Ticonderoga,
The BuShips 1/96 plans came with the 1/96 scale DDG hull from ScaleShipYard. The Ikara launcher I don't know much about. I'd try ScaleShipYard, John R.Haynes, Floating Drydock, Sirmar or one of the lagre scale model companies.
I can't imagine you'll have too much trouble finding this information.
Good luck, and Happy Hunting!
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:46 am 
Scale Shipyard
Scale Shipyard

In my collection I have the plans that were done by Webb Warship Models Ltd that show the ship with the Ikara Launcher, but i have to find them

World's Largest Supplier of Large Scale Warship Hulls and Fittings
http://www.scaleshipyard.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:06 am 

Scale Shipyard / W.L.U. wrote:
In my collection I have the plans that were done by Webb Warship Models Ltd that show the ship with the Ikara Launcher, but i have to find them

Thanks Mr Upshaw, I would appreciate it if you can dig the plans out and let me know. BTW, looking forward to receiving the Tico hull......

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:11 am 

Hey there Tony!

I'm back from the dead and I have to say, I'm impressed with your progress. :thumbs_up_1:

I haven't looked at this thread in over a year.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:22 am 

Hi Guys,
It's been a while since I've posted on this particular thread, but I have been at this project at earnest for the last 3 weeks.
I have been invited to attend the USS Benjamin Stoddert's annual reunion as a guest of SailorBill and another former crewmember whom found me on facebook. It seems that I have earned my stripes as a modeler, and not a former crewmember. A few months ago, by SailorBill's recommendation, someone from the DDG-22 reunion ass'n contacted me as a possible candidate to construct a DDG-22 replica for the reunion ass'n to display at each annual members' gathering. The fellow whom contacted me said if I was interested, to please contact the members association president, Mr. Ron Z. Here's something totally serendipitous; Ron Z lives less than two miles from me. Who knew? Ron called me and we met at my auto service shop to discuss the possibility of my building a model for them. I brought in my 1/350 WEM DDG-22 project to share with Ron. I showed him all of the finished sub-assemblies and noted the numerous changes required to accurize the WEM kit. Anyway, he thought I knew what I was doing and asked, "how much $$"?
I told him I was not entirely certain about that, and I told him of the other projects I need to finish first. We'll see about that later.
I was encouraged by Ron to bring all of my models of the DDG-22; finished or not. He said these will be great conversation starters. This years DDG-22 reunion is in San Diego, so I'll be going. SailorBill will be flying in from Minnesota, and wants to hang out some with me. I'll finally get to meet SailorBill ! It's been nearly 6 years since he first sent the 72 WestPac pics to me to help wih my 1/700 DDG-22 build. Our first contact was when Bill made a topic reply to the then 1/700 DDG-22 project, "Gun run, Tonkin Gulf". Who knew then where this would all end up? Not me!
Cut to this project. The 1/96 model will get the most attention at this event, so I figured I'd better get something sunstancial done on it before the ships' reunion in mid-October. So, I still have another 4 weeks to get something done.
So far, I have built the Mk13 mod4 Tartar launcher. I have also built the Mk68 gun director. My last attempt at the bridge windows was aborted and other stuff was done instead. This time, I decided to do the bridge windows as I had done on the 1/350 DDG-22 project.
I really want to get all of the weapons in place, and a complete paint job; complete with hull numbers and the ships name decals in place. Also, I really want to get the mast assembly done.
I don't have a camera today, but when I get one, I'll post the latest progress pics here. I hope I'll get some pics done tomorrow.
I hope someone out there appreciates this long message. if so, then I did not waste my time.
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:37 am 

Good to hear from you Tony... :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Get busy on this one, because Lee informed me that he may be shipping my DDG 16 soon.. :big_grin: :big_grin:

So start working... :bash_2:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next