The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:13 pm 

I have made mention that I have been working on HMS Daring a Type 45 DDG Part of that build { my choice} involves the construction and fitting out of the Hanger . This has proved to be more than just a change but an interesting challenge and because of the shape of the hull the development of the hanger required a little bit of lateral thinking . Building the hanger required a slightly different thought process to that of building the ship but after seeing several non ship builds on this board I thought , well it is part of the ship albeit inside the model. The one question you may ask why build the inside of what is essentially a working model. Yes it is a working model but the hanger is one of the few areas of the ship that is exposed to scrutiny from the outside. I first saw what can be done with a hanger on a 1:48th scale FFG of the Perry class by a German model warship group at Dortmund Intermodelbau it both bowled me over and frightened me in equal measure .

It's often been said to me that building a large scale model of 1:72 is easier than at 1:144 . In one sense yes but the larger the model the more detail is exposed so lets see what happens with this project and in particular the hanger. { BUT there will be limits }
Most are well familiar with the unusual shape of Daring but perhaps not so familiar about building the model particularly when there are restricting issues due to the fact that this model started out as a Fleetscale semi Kit .
HMS Daring This is a 7500ton DDG in a hull of 152.4m in length by 21.2m in beam
Basically this is the exterior of the hanger opening . The sloping sides seen in this photo are moulded into the hull which as we shall see required plenty of lateral thinking. .
Along with the hanger space there are two RIB galleries and like the hanger can be closed off using a series of horizontal folding doors.
The hanger space as you would expect is a positive nightmare for the model maker . Like many such hangers and I have been in many such places has some form of walk way/ access around the inside bulkheads but there is a plethora of air conditioning trunks , piping , fire suppressant equipment , electrical cables by the mile , switch boxes , watertight doors hose reels , pumps and the list goes on. Am I mad to choose to undertake such a project? There is one saving grace I have a number of good detailed pictures , not as much as I would like but enough .
Judge for your self
As a reminder this is the build thus far as most of my attention has been within the hanger ..
Dave Wooley
to be continued ............. :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:10 am 

There was a pressing reason why the hanger had to be finished well ahead of the ship. Because of the design of the moulding with it's sloping sides it required that the roof covering the hanger and boat galleries could not be fitted permanently until ALL of the intended inside detailing on the hanger was completed. The knock on effect was to delay all the outside construction of the hull and superstructures. I mentioned the word "lateral" thinking in my previous post this was in no way a flippant use of the word. In order to allow for access for much of the detail the hanger space had to be detachable from the area of the hanger. You may well ask "why” The reason is simple if the hanger space remained in situ it would have been almost impossible to carry out any of the work needed to install the detail. It's a bit like a "ship in a bottle" When the hanger is finished {which it is} the legitimate question could be posed, how did you get that in there? With the hanger space detachable I could work the detail in as the space could be orientated to suite how I wished to work. So here goes.

The rational is to divide the hanger from the RIB galleries in much the same way as seen on the full size ship.
First the divisional bulkheads and the hanger frontage are joined together . Most of the materials used for the construction are various thicknesses of styrene sheet.
This is then temporarily fitted into place.
Next the hanger space which is essentially an open box
The open space for the hanger and the RIB galleries are prepared for opening.
Each of the galleries deck surfaces are fitted separately
The frontage and inner gallery bulkheads returned and "fitted" into place
The hanger "box” is also returned to its position BUT NOT FIXED as this will need to be removable.
The early preparation is almost completed work can now continue on the inside of the hanger space.
Work on the RIB galleries can be delayed as access into these spaces is not as restricted, even with the roof in place.
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:
more to come .

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:27 am 

Hi dave,

great modelling and although at first sight the subjects looks strange it is nonetheless a very interesting one! :thumbs_up_1:

:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:27 am 

That looks pretty sweet Dave :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: That's the 1/72 type45 isn't it mate?? :heh:
All that reinforcement around hanger ends should make for a nice solid superstructure area... flexing can be a problem with big semi kits that have integral hangar sides.

Cheers Bruce :cool_1: :cool_1:

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS JOHN PAUL JONES DDG53
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS SEAWOLF SSN21
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:35 am 

Location: turning into a power-hungry Yamato-models-munching monster... buahahahaha...
The shape of your Daring looks excellent! :thumbs_up_1:

I have to admit, though, that I find the prospect of having to scratch all that hangar detail in 1/72 really, really frightening - I'd probably excell in building the closed doors instead... :big_grin:

Jorit

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:08 am 

109 wrote:
Hi dave,

great modelling and although at first sight the subjects looks strange it is nonetheless a very interesting one! :thumbs_up_1:

Thanks 109 .Although the subject for this limited build is the hanger space the model itself is an interesting model to work on .Thanks for your interest

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:09 am 

HvyCgn9 wrote:
That looks pretty sweet Dave :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: That's the 1/72 type45 isn't it mate?? :heh:
All that reinforcement around hanger ends should make for a nice solid superstructure area... flexing can be a problem with big semi kits that have integral hangar sides.

Hi Bruce As I commented on your Long Beach reconstruction amazing, good to see you up and running!!!. For Daring the Fleetscale moulding is very strong and thankfully no flexing in the sloping sides. The initiative for the internal arrangement in one that I just could not dismiss .I just love a challenge although getting it right is another issue but for now I’ll stretch my ability and temperament to refrain from profanities when things go wrong and they did :whistle:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:11 am 

JWintjes wrote:
The shape of your Daring looks excellent! :thumbs_up_1:

I have to admit, though, that I find the prospect of having to scratch all that hangar detail in 1/72 really, really frightening - I'd probably excell in building the closed doors instead... :big_grin:

Jorit

Hi Jorit good to hear from you . Yes the word frightening is the right one , terrified that this would get the better of me , Yes I should have left the door shut but there was no fun in that :heh: :heh:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:28 am 

Hummm Dave what excellent build do you doing
i have not seem these news pics.
finest building as always

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:57 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Well Dave, Looks like time consuming and very tedious to me. If anyone can pull it off, you can. I'm sure it will be impressive to say the least. May I suggest some illumination on the subject area. No sense doing all that work if you can't see it clearly. Just a thought. By the way, things look great so far. I'm still stuck in WW2 mode. I like it there :smallsmile: Good luck with the project, I shall be watching.......Your Friend, Bill W. :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:24 am 

Capitão Norbert wrote:
Hummm Dave what excellent build do you doing
i have not seem these news pics.
finest building as always

Hi Norberto good to hear from you and thanks for your comments always appreciated .

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:36 am 

Bill Waldorf wrote:
Well Dave, Looks like time consuming and very tedious to me. If anyone can pull it off, you can. I'm sure it will be impressive to say the least. May I suggest some illumination on the subject area. No sense doing all that work if you can't see it clearly. Just a thought. By the way, things look great so far. I'm still stuck in WW2 mode. I like it there :smallsmile: Good luck with the project, I shall be watching.......Your Friend, Bill W. :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Hi Bill Your idea of some illumination has not gone unnoticed I have ordered a number LEDs thanks for the gentle nudge in that direction good thinking . Bill, Even a old Cold War warrior like me would not mind a bit being stuck in WW2 mode if the results are like yours , I'm keen to get a glimpse of that CVE of yours , I remain a carrier man at heart :heh: :cool_1: .
Your good friend
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:37 am 

Hi Dave, great to see your hangar build on the board. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:56 pm 

Excellent methodology... as ever!

Interesting challenges ahead ... with these external-detail-sparse ships it can be hard to make them look visually interesting.

If anyone can... it will be you!

JB :thumbs_up_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:40 pm 

I hope you hang on to this model for a bit more sailing time mate! Should be an excellent runner in all conditions. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: Looking forward 2 seeing the rest of the build in ModelBoat.

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS JOHN PAUL JONES DDG53
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS SEAWOLF SSN21
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:07 pm 

Logical steps as ever i see Dave :thumbs_up_1:

But you must admit she's one ugly ship, alas this type of design is the way forward for most NAVIES i think :doh_1:

Roy

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:54 am 

NorthSea wrote:
Hi Dave, great to see your hangar build on the board. :wave_1:

Hi NorthSea Thanks for your interest , I 'm keen try something different.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:04 am 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
Excellent methodology... as ever!

Interesting challenges ahead ... with these external-detail-sparse ships it can be hard to make them look visually interesting.

If anyone can... it will be you!

JB :thumbs_up_1:

Hi Jim I did make some comments about "the larger the scale " "Well hoist by my own petard” as they say. I find it impossible NOT want to explore the idea that the detail on larger models grows exponentially with every fitting. I guess I will get things not quite right but it is worth the challenge. Ships such as Daring are sparse , that is their nature but looking at the hanger and RIB galleries this is far from the case and the only real area for "modellers expression" to coin a phrase :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:11 am 

HvyCgn9 wrote:
I hope you hang on to this model for a bit more sailing time mate! Should be an excellent runner in all conditions. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: Looking forward 2 seeing the rest of the build in ModelBoat.

Hi Bruce . Well keeping the model is not really an option. Yes it will get its keel wet :heh: but there is a good home in prospect . The remainder of the build will continue in Model Boats but the hanger and the galleries are the few parts of the vessel that will be all scratch built. thanks for your interest .
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:26 am 

roy allen wrote:
Logical steps as ever i see Dave :thumbs_up_1:

But you must admit she's one ugly ship, alas this type of design is the way forward for most NAVIES i think :doh_1:

Roy

Hi Roy Yes ships and their shapes change whether this is for the general good of the model builder is a mute point. It was one remarked to me by a dear friend, “They stopped building good looking warships after 1946”. I thought about this one for all of 30 seconds. My response was short and rather simple; well they stopped building good looking ships after 1900!! I suppose it could be argued that ships and there appreciation of function and form are in the eye of the beholder but don't hold your breath , wait till you see what's on the drawing boards Daring will be considered a beautiful ship , Ha yes they stopped building good looking ships after 2013? :heh: :heh: .

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next