The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:23 am 

ccain wrote:
This is Ensign Bigfoot:

I gave him that name because he has the same gait as this guy:

I kept looking at him and couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong with him... Duh! NOBODY walks like that. Look at his arms!

So... I broke off his little arms and did some Superglue Neurosurgery...

He looks much better now!

Although... He really looks like Sasquatch now. :big_grin:
looking good chris...... :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:06 am 

Looking good!!

The hull finish is very nice!

JIM B :thumbs_up_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:44 am 

Looking good Chris!!!

And the figures... You can find many plastic ones online...

i tried an ebay search and look what i have found:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ddg-17 ... m270.l1313

I bought a ddg16 ship's crest a couple of days ago from a guy... A great find... :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:31 pm 

GTDEATH13 wrote:
Looking good Chris!!!

And the figures... You can find many plastic ones online...

i tried an ebay search and look what i have found:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ddg-17 ... m270.l1313

I bought a ddg16 ship's crest a couple of days ago from a guy... A great find... :wave_1:

Thanks for the link! Yeah, I really have no intention of using these figures on the ship when it's done... But I'm having issues finding cold war era US Navy figures in 1/72. The closest thing I've found so far is the 1/72 Gato crew. :Mad_5:

Anyway... It's been forever since I posted. I know I should have tank tested the hull before building the structure, but I'm impatient as hell and I'm building the structure out of light weight, thin pine so hopefully it won't set past the water line before I get motors, batteries, servos and what not... AND... Maybe if I talk to my neighbor real nice, they'll let me float this thing in their hot tub for a minute just to see... :big_grin:

Anyway... Here's the progress:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:31 pm 

OK gang... Well, I made a little more progress AND... I sweet talked my neighbor into letting me test float the Cony in her hot tub.

Guess what? She floats! On top of that, there was ZERO water in the bilge afterward. She's gonna need a little ballast on the starboard side whereas she's listing slightly. I'd say about 1 to 2 degrees. Also, she'll need ballast forward as she sets about 5/8 of an inch below the waterline. Once she's ballast she'll set at about a 1/4 inch below the water line all around. Keep in mind, I have to paint on the anti-fouling line. So all in all, I've got between 3/8 and a 1/2 to play with. So. I'm gonna keep building and check her again after I get all the internals mounted. Plus more weight in the bilge, the better! As it stands now, she rights herself when tilted, but more weight below water will be the key. So, a little more building and it'll be time for sea trials! :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:19 am 

ccain wrote:
OK gang... Well, I made a little more progress AND... I sweet talked my neighbor into letting me test float the Cony in her hot tub.

Guess what? She floats! On top of that, there was ZERO water in the bilge afterward. She's gonna need a little ballast on the starboard side whereas she's listing slightly. I'd say about 1 to 2 degrees. Also, she'll need ballast forward as she sets about 5/8 of an inch below the waterline. Once she's ballast she'll set at about a 1/4 inch below the water line all around. Keep in mind, I have to paint on the anti-fouling line. So all in all, I've got between 3/8 and a 1/2 to play with. So. I'm gonna keep building and check her again after I get all the internals mounted. Plus more weight in the bilge, the better! As it stands now, she rights herself when tilted, but more weight below water will be the key. So, a little more building and it'll be time for sea trials! :big_grin:

looking good chris.....i'm gunna have to start cranking on the perry.....you will find when you start adding the motors batteries and ECS your ship will start comming down to the waterline..... :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:52 pm 

Update:

I got a little more done to the top side...

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:45 pm 

Hi ccain Your progress on the Conyngham is coming along well . What types of rails do you intend to fit , will they be full lengths of PE or individual stanchions ? Starting to look every inch the DDG.
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:21 am 

yor DDG sure is looking her part......exelent chris........ :thumbs_up_1: joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:20 pm 

desron48 wrote:
yor DDG sure is looking her part......exelent chris........ :thumbs_up_1: joe

Thanks Joe!

Dave Wooley wrote:
Hi ccain Your progress on the Conyngham is coming along well . What types of rails do you intend to fit , will they be full lengths of PE or individual stanchions ? Starting to look every inch the DDG.

Thanks Dave! I'm not really sure. I'm having a rough time finding anything PE for 1/72 that isn't a WWII submarine. :big_grin: So, I'll probably be fabricating something. I'll be sure to post up how I do it.

Here's today's progress. I've got the davits built and I'm working on the mast and a few other structures.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:28 pm 

Dave Wooley wrote:
hey chris....if you go to www.warshipmodelsunderway.com go to the how-to's section then scroll down to the wire rope stantions you'll see my artical on how i make them along with other fine articals on that fourm..... :thumbs_up_1: btw the mast on your ship is awsome.....joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:59 pm 

desron48 wrote:
Dave Wooley wrote:
hey chris....if you go to http://www.warshipmodelsunderway.com go to the how-to's section then scroll down to the wire rope stantions you'll see my artical on how i make them along with other fine articals on that fourm..... :thumbs_up_1: btw the mast on your ship is awsome.....joe

Oh, that's awesome! Thanks Joe!!! You always come through! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:24 pm 

A little more progress.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:25 am 

awsome chris.....how did you do the railings on the radar platform ??

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:59 am 

desron48 wrote:
awsome chris.....how did you do the railings on the radar platform ??

Thanks Joe! It was kind of a trial by fire. My wife does stained glass and has worked a lot with solder and flux. I on the other hand have never soldered with flux. Heck, I've welded, brazed, riveted and did everything else with metal BUT soldering. When I would think solder, I would think electronics, plumbing, acid or rosin core. Soldering was ALWAYS a struggle which made me curse almost as much as my ex-wife :doh_1:

So, she sat me down and went over the basics with me. I'm not ashamed to say it... I learned something. And, on a side note, I have to thank my wife for the Mother Teresa-like patience she displayed while teaching me. :big_grin: So after NOT having to struggle with the solder I was good to go.

I took measurements from the drawing and made a jig on a board with small brass nails. I strung the wire cross the jig, fluxed and soldered it. Then I cut the wire from the jig, trimmed it and fit it to the mast. The first one isn't pretty under the microscope, but each successive one I built got a little better. By the time I made the ladder for the starboard top side of the mast, it was cake. (BTW Joe, I used the method you posted up in the how to to make the ladder and it came out great)

Now that my soldering skills are getting better... I'd like to make the wire/rope USN style stanchions which Joe also did a how-to on. 8) That would keep me occupied for a good long time and keep me out of trouble. At last count there are 224 or so that I would have to make.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:37 am 

The mast is a mast-erpiece :heh: :heh: :heh:

I LOVE CF ADAMS CLASS SHIPS!!!!! :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:55 pm 

GTDEATH13 wrote:
The mast is a mast-erpiece :heh: :heh: :heh:

I LOVE CF ADAMS CLASS SHIPS!!!!! :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:

:lol_1: Well... Masterpiece might be a little too generous. But thank you!

And yes, I have a big soft spot in my heart for the Adams class ships. Not to mention the big soft spot in my head for taking this project on. :heh:

Anyway. I worked on the MK92 torpedo launchers. Not perfect but they'll do.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:32 pm 

Hi ccain Your mast detail is superb and the TTs are excellent , this is shaping up to be a first rate build and a working model.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:58 pm 

Dave Wooley wrote:
Hi ccain Your mast detail is superb and the TTs are excellent , this is shaping up to be a first rate build and a working model.

Thanks so much Dave!!!

This afternoon, in between "Honey Do's" I worked a little on the weapons director dishes.

I decided to have a go at making them DIY style as I've been told by the wife that the budget for this build is nil. :heh:

So, empty pockets being the mother of invention, I looked around the shop and gathered the required hardware.

*sheet plastic (courtesy of a plastic sign I had laying around)
*paint mixing pallet (less than a Quid at the craft store)
*WD-40 cap (ribs cut out)
*propane torch and lighter

Ta-da! Just heat the plastic until you see it start to deform slightly, lay over the upside down paint pallet and apply even pressure with the WD-40 cap.

Bob's your Uncle! Dishes (or very large, uncomfortable contact lenses.) :puppy_eyes:

Cut, sand and shape and you're ready to go. If it weren't for ruining a perfectly good, cheap chess set... I'm thinking the pawns or rooks would make a good base to build the director bases from. :lol_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:07 pm 

I worked a little on the AN/SPG-51's today.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next