The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:13 pm 

Hi,

I'll contact you by mail since it takes at least 3 posts on this board before your personal message service is activated.

I'm still working on the ship, although at a slower pace now. I've been busy with some stairs and railings on the superstructure in order to be able to place the lifeboats. My goal is to place the lifeboats before any next sailing.

I've been sidetracked by other projects, which are more suitable for summer time. Chaconia, due to the detailing nature, is more of a night and winter project now.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:39 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Just found this thread. Astonishing! Really great work.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:01 am 
Amphion
Amphion

Beautiful work :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:19 am 

Thanks for the compliments. Thought an update was in place, so here it is. It shows most of the work that was done the last couple of months (on this ship at least :heh: )

Practically I had to first put the railing and stairs on around the lifeboats before I could install the boats. At first I ordered some Dean's Marine stairs, but they were too wide and the brass was too thick to modify them. So I modified my jig to resemble Capt Haddock's and created the stairs that way. The railings on the stairs are heavily modified Dean's Marine railings and the rest of the railings are Dean's as well. Quite strong brass, easy to install and looks good.

The last couple of weeks I've been testing things for the davits and finally finished the lifeboats (propulsion nozzle and grablines were remaining).

For the grablines I tested a jig to make them in one turn, but actually a method with each bow seperate was working better.
I wound 0.1mm brass wire (from a telephone cable) around a brass tube with a suitable diameter. Then I cut small circles from this "spring". After that I bent one end at a 90° angle to fit inside the hole in the lifeboat. I held the other end with a tweezer and like this I could vary the curve of the bow to all be more or less at same height. Once correct curve was visible, I adjusted the length on the other side to hold it just below the next hole and bent the remaining part of the wire to fit inside the hole. This relatively easy procedure was repeated for each curve. They aren't 100% equal in shape, but in reality they look much worse :big_grin:

Here is the tube with the wire and some pre-cut circles. And a pencil for scale:
Attachment:
C4.jpg
C4.jpg [ 195.44 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]

And the boat more or less in place. The davit with boat was test-fitted with weights holding the cables on my workbench. Once at correct height, the cables were glued on each wheel to hold it. Once the weights were removed the davits could stand by themselves wiht the boat attached. So in these pictures the whole unit is dry-fitted and will be removed again to finish the final supports, railings and lifeboat winch before final installation.
Attachment:
C3.jpg
C3.jpg [ 269.65 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]

Attachment:
C2.jpg
C2.jpg [ 331.36 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]

Attachment:
C1.jpg
C1.jpg [ 283.17 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]

I guess my next sea trial will be with this 1 boat just to make sure it stays onboard and see if I need any addition reinforcements before starting the next boat installation.

Last edited by Neptune on Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:47 pm 

Finally I got it installed. Had still to put some markings on the fireboxes and eventually also decided to insert some brass pins in the bottom of the davits in order to fix them better. Still looking to improve that forward lashing though. I think I'll have to move it a bit down in order to right. Won't be very easy though.

Attachments:
LBChac.jpg
LBChac.jpg [ 256.51 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]
LRChac.jpg
LRChac.jpg [ 234.63 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]
LRChac2.jpg
LRChac2.jpg [ 260.61 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]

Last edited by Neptune on Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:57 am 

Made some more progress.
First a sea trial with the one lifeboat installed to make sure it would hold during sailing before installing the next boat.

And then the second boat was installed. I was continuing with the railing and liferafts when I discovered somebody came to the idea of painting the deck area around the liferafts red, so I did that too. I like some extra colour, although this one in particular does not really improve the aesthetic appearance...

I think I'll get back to the deck area for a while before continuing the railing job on the accomodation.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:27 am 

Hi Roel this is top notch work , clean and sharp finishing and your Chaconia looks just superb out on the water as well as on the bench . An interesting subject with lots of scope for detail which you have crafted well . :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:36 am 

i have no words to say.
this model is absolutely fantastic.
good construction and good painting job.
as said Dave: top noch work :woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:24 am 

Quite a while since the last post. Of course the tug got priority. Not sure if I'm going to continue this build, but at least I took the chance to take the ship out to the water recently. Together with the kid I tested it on a relatively new pond that serves as a fire extinguishing water reserve for an industrial area. Excellent pond for sailing due to its stepped and reinforced sides. Only disadvantage was a lot of floating plants, but it didn't really hamper the sailing.

And full speed trial.
Attachment:
C4.jpg
C4.jpg [ 383.84 KiB | Viewed 834 times ]

Attachment:
C5.jpg
C5.jpg [ 299.14 KiB | Viewed 834 times ]

Attachment:
C3.jpg
C3.jpg [ 383 KiB | Viewed 834 times ]

Now she's back on the table. Not sure what I'll do with it. I'm finishing the tug and then I'd quite modelling completely. On the other hand it would be a pitty to leave this one at this stage. She's pretty far advanced, but still requires quite a lot of work as well. We'll see, at least it's fun sailing.

Last edited by Neptune on Mon May 18, 2020 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:37 am 

the model sails very well in the water.
very good Roel :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:33 am 

After completing the TI Europe in 1/700, I decided to continue (and finish?!) this build. She's taking up a lot of place and would look nice when finished.

Kind of forgot why I stopped this build, so I guess the interruption was long enough :big_grin:
During the Europe build I added a couple of parts on deck, but due to some construction work in the workshop I can't work on the hull right now.

So decided to tackle and finish the accomodation block first. I started the railing a couple of years back on places where it was required, so now I continued with the railing and finally tackled some parts that I wasn't too keen on before: The magnetic compass and gyro compass repeaters on the bridge wings.
The magnetic compass is just a rough shape as she'll be covered in canvas later on (I think I'll use alu foil for that).
The gyro repeaters need some small detailing, but look ok for now, turned them on the lathe.

I'll try to update the older pics from the photobucket account as well in the near future.

Attachments:
File comment: Magnetic compass in position on the top centre. The platform still needs railing as well.
C1.jpg
C1.jpg [ 194.08 KiB | Viewed 835 times ]
File comment: Gyro repeaters dry fitted. Mr. pilot is checking the heading, used that one to evaluate the height of the repeater.
C2.jpg
C2.jpg [ 200.73 KiB | Viewed 835 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:52 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Lovely build. And HUGE!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:09 am 

I have now finally restarted this build in earnest.
Main issue has been two-fold: I needed to do more research for certain areas. Each time I figured out how to build it, my time ran out...
Secondly, the cargo heater area was a serious road block. It didn't leave much open ends, where I could adjust lengths for the piping. I was affraid to tackle that, but it needed to be done before I could advance with the rest of the cargo system.

I finally found a way to do the research and make plans of it. Then I decided to tackle the road block head-on.
Due to the impossible-to-oversee amount of work, I'm forcing myself to build at least 2 parts each day (time permitting). It looks like a task without end, but it guarantees progress, which is better than nothing.

I'm having issues uploading images to the forum, as soon as I sort those out, I'll be back with new pictures.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:49 pm 

So, here we go.

First started the warm-up by adding some valve actuators on tank 3. I finished those on Tank 1, so I had a good example of what I needed to do.
Attachment:
C147.jpg
C147.jpg [ 280.8 KiB | Viewed 53 times ]

And then on to the real work, the cargo booster pumps and heater.

Attachment:
C148.jpg
C148.jpg [ 283.72 KiB | Viewed 53 times ]

Attachment:
C151.jpg
C151.jpg [ 310.88 KiB | Viewed 53 times ]

And in the meanwhile I continued on the main hose handling crane, midships. I had already done some work on the aft crane somewhere last year, but that one still is not painted.
The main crane is now in primer (used to be white primer, but somehow turned brown inside the can...) In any case, good enough to get rid of any contrasts, since those are difficult to get rid of underneath a white coat.

Attachment:
C150.jpg
C150.jpg [ 182.63 KiB | Viewed 53 times ]

Attachment:
C152.jpg
C152.jpg [ 250.91 KiB | Viewed 53 times ]

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15