The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:24 pm 

Hi Dr. P,

Yes, I am aware of the"tunnel", I am not a naval architect, nor am I an expert in fluid dynamics, but I think the tunnel may have something to do with the rudder.

She has only a single, fairly large rudder, and I think the tunnel is designed to focus the prop wash on to the rudder surface so as to increase the effectiveness of the rudder. Of course I could be completely wrong, and to an expert this might sound really foolish :whistle: :whistle:

Having said that, I am intending to model the tunnel as best I can. I will have to interpret the dimensions as I do not have plans that show the tunnel in any detail (at all)

Andrew

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:50 pm 

Dave Wooley wrote:
Hi Andrew really impressive . Once the hull is complete and the running gear installed then that almost 50% of the construction of the model , half way there. Great build and looking the part. press on.
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Thank you Dave,

Praise from a person of your skill and reputation is always respected. :woo_hoo:

For all,

I have some sad news, my wife's father finally passed on Saturday afternoon. The next week or so will be a bit difficult for us all, I will resume work as soon as I can.

Andrew

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:44 pm 

this is sad news......keep the faith......the lord will have mercey

joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:11 am 

My thoughts R with You and your family mate.

Bruce

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS JOHN PAUL JONES DDG53
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS SEAWOLF SSN21
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:26 am 

Andrew my thoughts are with you and your family at this time .
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:49 am 

Hi Andrew my feelings too.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:35 am 

Dear all,

Thank you very much for all the kind thoughts.

Things are slowly getting back in to routine. hopefully I will have some progress to share with all next week.

Still working on getting to Telford....

Regards and thanks again,

Andrew

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:36 am 

G'day Andrew,

How goes the build?? R you going 2 be able 2 make the TF72 Annual Regatta (4th&5th Dec. Wentworth Falls) be good if we can catch up there mate!! Going 2 be a number of Russian Ship models there ( great for picking the brains of the builders!!)

Cheers Bruce

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:33 am 

HvyCgn9 wrote:
G'day Andrew,

How goes the build?? R you going 2 be able 2 make the TF72 Annual Regatta (4th&5th Dec. Wentworth Falls) be good if we can catch up there mate!! Going 2 be a number of Russian Ship models there ( great for picking the brains of the builders!!)

Cheers Bruce

Hi Bruce, I am just getting back in to the build now. The last three weeks have been pretty tough. After the funeral, I came down with a really nasty virus that lasted over a week and a half, then things went pear shaped with one of the projects at work and then to top it all off, three English lads who are friends of my son in law, lobbed in and needed somewhere to crash for a couple of weeks. (Backpacking and ran out of job and funds...). Anyway, they are sleeping in the big room under the house where I am building.

I was hoping to to get to Telford and/or to Wentworth Falls, but work has intervened :Mad_6: On the 30th I am going back to Canada and wil be there until Christmas Eve just about.

Sorry mate, I really wanted to go. I am getting the full calendar of events for next year so I can plan properly. :thumbs_up_1:

BTW should be able to post some progress pics this weekend.

Andrew

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:01 am 

......Bugga!!
I will get extra pix then of the Russian ships for ya!!

Safe travels Mate.

Bruce

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:25 pm 

Ticonderoga wrote:
......Bugga!!
I was hoping to to get to Telford and/or to Wentworth Falls, but work has intervened :Mad_6: On the 30th I am going back to Canada and will be there until Christmas Eve just about.
Sorry mate, I really wanted to go. I am getting the full calendar of events for next year so I can plan properly. :thumbs_up_1:
BTW should be able to post some progress pics this weekend.
Andrew
Andrew

Pitty you can get to Wentworthfalls TF72 Regatta. I'm planning to bring the Admiral Kuznetsov - Display at least.
I've also heard it's gonna be a big one with both Japaneses and Russians making a fair show.
Also it may be its last time there due to problems at home and also I herd rumors that it may also be the last time they run there. (Rumor For now)
I'll be there taking pictures and Vid of it all. Keep an eye out on the forums.

1/72 Steregushchy-class corvette

Mick
Tumut Australia

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:05 pm 

Cheers Mick,

Did you get my email? Funds have been transferred fro the Frunze info.

Andrew

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:09 pm 

I wanted to surprise you by keeping quiet. I posted it yesterday. Let me know when it arrives please. Comments welcome but remember this plan it not a complete plan that's why you get it as is.

1/72 Steregushchy-class corvette

Mick
Tumut Australia

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:09 am 

Understood Mick,

I will be using them as a cross reference to the other Russian plans I have; and all your photos.....

( I have to "stick together" some 30 A0 pages to get a working drawing of the Kirov in 1/72......what joy, I think sanding the Slave is more fun.......)

:thumbs_up_1: :wave_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:35 pm 

Hey Andrew I was wondering if your props and shafts had arrived yet?? I can't remember if you had ordered them yet?? Post a pic if have them!!

Cheers Bruce

PS: what form of Transportation do you envisage for your models?? Station wagon, trailer or Van?? ( I'd go with a nice LWB van if you can lay ya hands on one!!). I'm thinking about getting an 8' x 5' ( or 8' x6' ) trailer and making a removable insulated box (like a tradesmans trailer) for transporting my growing fleet once you have more than one model, the wagon (even the big ford) is just 2 small.

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:37 am 

HvyCgn9 wrote:
Hey Andrew I was wondering if your props and shafts had arrived yet?? I can't remember if you had ordered them yet?? Post a pic if have them!!

Cheers Bruce

PS: what form of Transportation do you envisage for your models?? Station wagon, trailer or Van?? ( I'd go with a nice LWB van if you can lay ya hands on one!!). I'm thinking about getting an 8' x 5' ( or 8' x6' ) trailer and making a removable insulated box (like a tradesmans trailer) for transporting my growing fleet once you have more than one model, the wagon (even the big ford) is just 2 small.

hi Bruce,

Props, shaft and single rudder are ordered from George. They should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks time, hopefully they will arrive before I go away again. I will post picks as soon as I can.

Re transport, I want to buy a LWB Toyota hi Ace if I can, but they are as rare as rocking horse teeth..

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:46 am 

Well, I have managed a little progress.

All pics are of the port side as it is more advanced than the starboard side.

Pegs are missing off frame 18 as I had to modify same in situ as the line of the frame was slightly out.

The bow is starting to look ok, but the stem is going to be a bit tricky.. The small amount of filling done so far is looking good and bodes well for the finished product. am pleased with the sonar dome.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:14 am 

G'day Mate,
Sweet pics shes really coming along now. Is the fwd deck glued down yet or just sitting there?? It makes it very hard 2 f/g in there if you glue it 1st ( I've made that mistake on LB great for getting resin all over ya arm reaching in!! LOL)
The other Toyota to look for (still a Hiace) is the 12 seat mini bus version I saw one a few months back (about a 1997-98 model) for $3500 it had all the seats except the fwd pair behind driver removed so it could rego'd as a station wagon (cheaper rego than a van) you could fit a number of good sized 1/72 scale models in one.

Cheers Bruce

PS: you need 2 do the OZzie thing of pullin a sickee in 1st week of Dec!! :big_grin:

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:42 pm 

Just a fun photo to share - examples of both of my builds side by side. (Not quite the right ship, but hey....)

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:08 pm 

Great PIC!!
I was thinking about your bow stem question and suggest getting a length of oak used for framing,etc (the wedge shaped one (can't think what its actually called)) and cut it into very short sections (20mm'ish) glue in and sand back 2 get nice sharp edge. How much room have you allowed for the hull thickness at the stem?? Even a bit of 6mm square oak might do the job.

Cheers Bruce

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next