The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:54 am 

greetings all;
I'm looking for a set of plans for the liner (troop ship) RMS Queen Mary, in 1/72 scale if possible, or large enough to blow up to same. can anyone point me in the right direction?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks, jim mclauchlan (splinters)

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:55 am 

For a kick off,
You could make a start here http://www.skipper.co.uk/catalogue/draw ... ans/page/4 or Glasgow University Archives failing those try the NMM at Greenwich.

Scouse.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:54 pm 

Queen Mary in 1/72 eh...?

prepare for this then.... LOL
Attachment:
Copy of queen mary.jpg
Copy of queen mary.jpg [ 415.24 KiB | Viewed 2353 times ]

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:40 am 

Use enough frames and a thick hull build of several layers of wood and glass fibre would be needed.
Start with some proper drawing, decide what electronics and engines you want to have and start planning how you want to putt it all in the hull.
Remember the 5P's: proper planning prevents poor performance.
It's best to "build" the model on the computer first by drawing every single part you'll need to make.
When doing so, try to figure out if you'll be able to get to the parts that get stuck behind another part.

Also, due to the sheer size of this model I would suggest using ballast tanks that can be closed using a valve, but do fit a pump to all of the tanks, otherwise you'll need to lift several hundreds of kilo's of ship model out of the water.
It could also help to cut the hull in 2 pieces (it would be best to build the hull in 1 piece, then cut it in 2 as you then know for sure that the 2 parts fit perfectly), it would make transporting and handling the model quite a lot easier.
I think you already had figured that a large part of the superstructure also has to be removable partly to reduce the weight of every single section but also to help getting inside the hull easier.

Weight certainly won't be an issue, not for stability that is, your back will probably kill you if you add to much unneeded weight...
I think that from about 1 metre of length models start to need ever more ballast as the weight of the parts grows only a small bit whilst the weight required to get to the waterline grows ever faster.
By adding 20cm of length and some 3cm of breadth and less then 1cm of depth the weight to get to the waterline can already be doubled.

Then I'd like to give you some advice that is only a bit related to this model: make sure you build some 2 small tugboats with plenty of towing power to help manoeuvre this giant model.
Could be very useful when trying to dock.
It could also help to have some working winches which can be controlled from shore so that the tugs only need to manoeuvre their towing hook under the bow and stern to get a towing cable connected.
Once this beast will be in open water she'll be a joy to sail with, getting her in and out of the water will always bee a pain in the ass.

Anyway, I'll be following this one, it comes pretty close to 1 of my dream projects: Queen Mary 2 in scale 1:75.

Greetings Josse

Making a complete new Well Enhancer, again scale 1:75.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:29 pm 

Wow! Three replies in as many days, thank you gentlemen.

Sconse, those Glasgow U. drawings should be a great start indeed, I'll get on that right away.

You guys on the "uk sig" please tell me that is a manniquin in the third funnel of that lovely model ship; I mean "Yikes"

Josse, your 5 ps' are very good advice and will be followed closely (I also have no plans to get rid of my one-ton van and heavy duty boat trailer)

again, thank you all, but, I suppose now I'll have to get busy

splinters

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:47 pm 

greetings all
I think it's time I updated the Q.M. project, so

I found a set of "elevations" of the hull and detailed drawings of the upper decks, cabin structures and details of winches and deck details in 1/196 scale from "Brown, son & Ferguson" in Glasgow. (good people by the way, good service,good products - highly recomended) sent apr.12--promised 10 day delivery--arrived july 7-- Canada Post, efficient as always.

I had the elevations and drawings enlarged to 1/72 scale and almost stopped right there. (HUGE) oh well, it's all a giggle.
The size of the project called for an accurate "building stage" which turned 3 sheets of 96"x48"x3/4" plywood into 1 piece of 144"x24"x 1 1/2"stage, with 2" "C" channel steelbars on each side to prevent sagging.

The keel is part of the remaining 3/4" ply joined at the centre with cruches of 3/8" ply glued and pegged (no nails or screws in the hull) to make one piece 164"x8"x 3/4". the frames are 3/8 ply with 3/8 knees on each side to give a 1 1/8" glueing surface every 4" along the bilge curve in the 14'1" hull. At this writing, most of the frames have been glued in place and the bow and stern pieces have been rough carved from solid wood. I had hoped to be farther along by now, but life keeps interfering

I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out how.
jim mclauchlan (splinters)

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:11 pm 

greetings all
I think I have figured out (actually my wife did) how to post pictures, so here are some of the building stage, and the beginings of the keel.
I'll send more as soon as I can cajole my lady into doing some more (she tried to teach me to do it, but my mind was never on that "page").
Attachment:
File comment: Building stage
DSCN2739 (640x412) (3).jpg
DSCN2739 (640x412) (3).jpg [ 109.43 KiB | Viewed 1728 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: True, square and constant = building stage
DSCN2742 (640x496).jpg
DSCN2742 (640x496).jpg [ 112.24 KiB | Viewed 1728 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Keel
DSCN2750 (640x523).jpg
DSCN2750 (640x523).jpg [ 126 KiB | Viewed 1728 times ]