The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chrysler Sea Mule WWII
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:46 am 
I've been lurking on this page for quite a while, but this will be my first post. It's a bit unusual, to me at least, but I'm hoping someone here might have some knowledge of this creature. I think it's applicable, as it falls under the heading of Tug. I came across it today when someone donated a large stash of military vehicle service manuals to the small museum I volunteer at. Here is all I have been able to find out about them thus far. They were built by Chrysler Corp. between 1942 and 1944 and labeled the Sea Mule. According to the short caption in the production table, they were an outgrowth of Chryslers production of pontoons and marine engines. Built separately, at some point production was combined to create the mule, probably for use in maneuvering pontoons into position. Most of them production went to the Navy in 42 and 43, with the Army receiving the balance between 43 and 44, according to the table. From the pictures, it's evident that there were two versions, a very narrow single screw and a wider twin screw.
Thats all the information I have, but I'm curious to know if anyone has any knowledge as to where and how they were employed? I have several photos, but cannot figure out how to insert them into this post. Thanks in advance for any help
Joe Dunlap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:59 am 

If you haven't seen it yet, Critical Past has some videos of them created by the War Department. This one is probably the best for illustrating how they might be used (though doesn't scratch that itch of where and when): https://www.criticalpast.com/video/6567 ... oard-a-tug

There are links to a few related clips on that side.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:06 pm 

This looks to be an adapatation of an LCVP for the smaller unit or a LCM3/6 for the larger from the critical past vid.
You have to remember, anyway to get troops or supplies ashore in a combat situtation was critical in the early phases of WWII.
Landing craft were high on the build sheet in 1942 among small boat builders coast to coast.
Contracts were spread out to many big Corporations and even ancillary builders with the knowledge such shallow draft craft.

Since the LCVP and LCM were already in production in the timeframe mentioned, and thus easy to build and convert, it's likely Chrysler
bid on a contract to build a small tug and used the existing spec'd hulls, with some mods...

It's not gospel, just my .02

Paul.