The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trivia: TORA! TORA TORA!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:38 pm 

TRIVIA---trivia for the movie TORA! TORA! TORA! on the 81st anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
The World War II epic TORA! TORA! TORA! ended with Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto saying the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor might lead to a protracted war with the United States that Japan could not win, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."
Yamamoto's comment in the movie led to a controversy in which most historians doubt Yamamoto ever said those words. Director Richard Fleischer said, "...I was told by [producer] Elmo Williams that Yamamoto never said that, but that it was in his diary. So we took it from the diary." Fleischer assumed the diary had been seen by University of Maryland history professor Gordon W. Prange, who was hired by 20th Century Fox to prepare massive amounts of historical information about the Pearl Harbor attack.
Elmo Willams had a different version of the quote by saying it was, "from a letter written by Yamamoto to a fellow officer several months after the attack on Pearl Harbor while Yamamoto was conducting an inspection of Japanese forces in the Pacific." Williams said screenwriter Larry Forrester got the letter from a Japanese officer during pre-production research in Japan. Williams added about the letter that he had "no idea where it is."
University of Pittsburgh history professor Donald M. Goldstein, who co-wrote two books about Pearl Harbor with Prange, said, "As far as I'm concerned, Yamamoto never had a diary. Furthermore, I can find no evidence that he made or wrote that statement. It just isn't so...Unless somebody else can come up with the quote, it was never said or written."
Goldstein added, "But even if [Yamamoto] didn't say it, it's a hell of a quote."