The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:14 am 

NOTE: Updated, retitled thread. Please scroll down for the latest updates.

There goes our air defense capability. The SM2s will probably be landed like what happened with her sisters. The CSC program needs to be ACCELERATED ASAP!!!!

National Post

Quote:
Incoming capability gap: Canada’s last destroyer leaves service in early 2017

David Pugliese, Ottawa Citizen | August 11, 2016 11:39 AM ET

OTTAWA — Canada’s last destroyer will be taken out of service in the spring, leaving the country’s navy reliant on allies for longer-range air defence for at least the next seven years.

HMCS Athabaskan, and similar destroyers, provided command and control capabilities over the years for the Royal Canadian Navy as well as what was called area air defence.

But Athabaskan, Canada’s last destroyer, will be taken out of service within the next year, most likely in the spring, Vice-Admiral Ron Lloyd, the new commander of the Royal Canadian Navy, told Postmedia Wednesday.

(...SNIPPED)

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by Haijun watcher on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:57 pm 

We haven't had area air defence for a few years already - Athabaskan lost her missile guidance radars quite some time ago.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:50 pm 

As Canada's last AAW destroyer retires, this means the Halifax class frigates will hold the torch until the CSCs come online over the next decade.

National Post

Quote:
It’s a shame that they are actually retiring her:’ Aboard the HMCS Athabaskan, on her final sail

Keith Doucette, The Canadian Press | March 9, 2017 10:54 AM ET
Darren Calabrese / Canadian Press

In its heyday, it was one of Canada’s largest fighting ships — built for operations in the North Atlantic as a helicopter-carrying submarine hunter with a crew of more than 250.

But the big gun on HMCS Athabaskan thundered its final salvos Wednesday, as Canada’s last Cold War-era destroyer enters retirement after more than 44 years of service.

It was deployed during the first Gulf War in 1990, delivered aid after Hurricane Katrina in 2006 and Haiti’s 2010 earthquake, and responded to international troublespots to fulfil Canada’s NATO obligations under the ship’s motto “We Fight As One.”

(...SNIPPED)

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:35 am 

The original 5" guns of the Iroquois class are still in service - on the Dutch frigates of the De Zeven Provinciën class.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:45 pm 

DavidP

I believe Maxim is right, I also heard that too, years ago.

I saw some of the paying off ceremony sail past yesterday. I was too late arriving at my viewing and photographing wharf but from a distance I could see that it came very close to this wharf but missed the photographs. It then did a couple loops in Bedford Basin (well known as a convoy collection point in WWII).

Later, I noticed from the AIS that it was coming back up the harbour and got my camera and went to a window (where I should have gone in the first place!) and photographed what was the better sail past. It was going 8.4 knots (from the AIS but not particularly fast but it looked impressive given the narrow confines of the harbour) and did a 180 degree turn well within the width of the harbour with a obvious list (which the tribals have a reputation).

Sadly there was no paying off pennant so there was nothing distinctive to distinguish the paying off photos from any other harbour photos of the ship. I was told at the wharf, where there was a number of former crew members, that the last RCN ship paid off did not stream one either.

George

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:45 am 

The second hand 127/54 Oto Melara were cheaper ;) They were for sure refurnished before mounting them on the De Zeven Provinciën class. See e.g. The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World. It is also mentioned in the Dutch Wikipedia article:
Quote:
Nadat men besloot niet twee, maar vier schepen te bouwen koos men voor een Otobreda kanon van 127 mm. Vier daarvan waren overbodig geworden bij de Canadese marine na de verbouwing van de fregatten van de Iroquois klasse.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Zeven_Provinci%C3%ABnklasse_(fregat)

The last sentence means that the guns became available because of the rebuilt of the Iroquois class. The English Wikipedia article is not very detailed.

If you consider something like that unlikely: also the earlier Tromp class air defence frigates had old 120 mm guns from the destroyer Gelderland. The re-usage of guns is a common praxis for many navies. Does not have e.g. the Canadian Navy still has some 40 mm Bofors from World War Two still in service? For sure on new mountings?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:20 am 

Re-using guns and other equipment is quite common for many Navies. During a port visit, the sailors on Tromp confirmed the gun was from Iroqouis.
The guns on the Canadian Kingston class are reused from our old frigates and destroyers and even the carrier Bonaventure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:51 am 

Darren
Even those 40mm reached the end of their extended lives! I noticed they were not mounted on the Kingston class ships even when deployed and asked when I was on board one last summer. I was told that they were getting too expensive to maintain so were removed. These 40mm also helped protect Canadian airfields in Europe.
Best Wishes
George

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:21 pm 

Goodbye, HMCS Athabaskan!

Canadian Press/CTV

Quote:
Canada's last destroyer leaves Halifax harbour, headed for scrap heap
The Canadian Press
Published Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:28AM EDT

HALIFAX -- Canada's last Cold War-era destroyer was towed out of Halifax harbour Thursday, headed for Cape Breton where it will be scrapped.

Athabaskan, flanked by tugboats as it left the harbour that was its home port for almost 45 years, will be recycled by Marine Recycling Corporation in Sydney.

The 129-metre warship was one of Canada's largest fighting ships, built for operations in the North Atlantic as a helicopter-carrying submarine hunter with a crew of more than 250.

(...SNIPPED)